Necessary experience for computer engineering?

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

boettcher
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Necessary experience for computer engineering?

Post by boettcher »

This might not be in the right section, but it's almost slightly related and this is an oft-visited board, so it'll get some more attention. Feel free to move this if necessary. This is mainly directed toward Falco and other current/former ECE students, but if you have something to contribute, please do.

Anyway, I'm currently waiting for my admissions decisions from three colleges (Rose-Hulman, Purdue, and IUPUI, if you're curious). My intended major for all three is computer engineering. I was sure I was going to do computer science until a few months ago when I decided that I could do a better job learning about software and such on my own time than I could hardware and electronics, which I also have an interest in.

I already have some experience with programming (I've been at it for quite a while, but I keep going through periods of not having access to a computer or other problems. It's complicated, but basically every time I get around to learning about pointers or something, something happens and I can't program for months.), but I know precisely dick about electricity, hardware, etc. I know every school is different, and that I'm going there to learn, but I'm afraid I'll be completely lost on the first days of the introductory ECE courses without any previous experience with this stuff. Should the prerequisite physics/chemistry classes teach me what I need to know? How much did you know going into the program?

So yeah, tl;dr: Should I know anything about computer engineering before learning about computer engineering?
Nothing* in life is fixed or set in stone, so get out there and Carpe the hell out of the Diem.
*Except politics and the NBA
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Necessary experience for computer engineering?

Post by Falco Girgis »

I get these questions all the time for both Computer Science and Computer Engineering...

I have never seen either degree require you know anything going in. If you already have some programming experience, you are faaaar ahead of the curve. From what I've seen, at least 90% of the students have never seen the stuff...

That being said, it's still a challenge. The first year will be piss easy, but college sure picks up quickly. One year I was playing FF12 and skipping all of my classes, the next I was studying my ass off every day (at least for my electrical classes).
boettcher
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by boettcher »

GyroVorbis wrote:If you already have some programming experience, you are faaaar ahead of the curve. From what I've seen, at least 90% of the students have never seen the stuff...
I've always thought that was weird, since most of the people I see in forums like this were programming in elementary school. I understand that's only a small percentage of people, and they're on these forums for a reason, but I just can't help that I'm way behind and need to get my ass in gear and learn some shit.
GyroVorbis wrote:That being said, it's still a challenge. The first year will be piss easy, but college sure picks up quickly. One year I was playing FF12 and skipping all of my classes, the next I was studying my ass off every day (at least for my electrical classes).
Yeah, I've always read that freshmen year is basically high school review, but sophomore engineering classes are some of the most difficult things you'll ever experience.

I guess I'm just worrying too much, but when I read the ECE course descriptions for these schools I realize I have no idea what any of the topics mean. For example:
ECE 130 - Introduction to Logic Design wrote:Combinational logic analysis and design, Boolean algebra, gate-level optimization, switch-level circuits, propagation delay, and standard combinational components. Sequential circuit analysis and design, flip-flops, timing diagrams, registers, counters, and finite state machine controllers.
That's the lowest level ECE class at Rose, and I've never heard of any of those things. Well, I've heard of Boolean algebra, but that doesn't mean I know what the hell it is.

Anyway, thanks for the help. Do you know of any good books or websites or anything to kinda give me a head start in electrical engineering? 'Cause that'd be rad.
Nothing* in life is fixed or set in stone, so get out there and Carpe the hell out of the Diem.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

GyroVorbis wrote:I have never seen either degree require you know anything going in. If you already have some programming experience, you are faaaar ahead of the curve. From what I've seen, at least 90% of the students have never seen the stuff...
From what I hear this is the norm, but please be aware it depends on the school. The 90% never having seen the stuff before sounds about right from my experience as well, but that 90% were also forced to switch majors after their first semester at the school I attend. Why? Because they failed "Intro to Programming". Our "Intro" course is more of a show us what you know, and if you know nothing you had damn well better be ready to learn it right quick or gtfo. The students are thrown straight into C++ the first week of school, and get a new assignment every week for the semester. There are currently 4 students left in the computer science major, and I'm only halfway through Junior year.

That said, I realize this is a fairly uncommon practice. Most schools will ease you into things very subtly if at all in your first semester. As I had 3-4 years programming experience, that was not what I was looking for when searching for a college. I very much enjoy being challenged with every new assignment thrown at me, as it keeps me interested and constantly learning. If you don't understand conditional statements and loops however, such an agenda may put you somewhere you are not comfortable being (failing).

Only you can properly judge how much knowledge you have, and what types of challenges will help you move forward. Think long and hard about what is right for you. You have one of the most important decisions of your life ahead of you.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
qpHalcy0n
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by qpHalcy0n »

It really shouldn't matter how much experience you have going in. Most of the material in CSE will likely be new to you. Again, if you DO have experience programming, this is likely to help because you may be able to test out of beginning programming courses. This will also make classes like Data Structures/Algos, and OS a little easier for you in that you won't be stuck on language hurdles for labs and such. That course description sounds like a basic "Digital Logic" course and if this is the "lowest level" course that you have, then its likely that you are not taking circuits. This is probably good. Circuits can be extremely challenging. Our program requires two units of circuits (EE dept.) and is a pre-requisite for Embedded Systems.

It is a very interesting program and may be significantly more challenging than CS or SE. The programs usually overlap a fair bit, so by sophomore year you should have a pretty good idea as to whether or not you're truly interested in what CSE has to offer. Digital Logic will be your first intro into what CSE really is. You'll get your first taste of how a computer really works from the absolute lowest level possible....the transistor. I remember when I took it, our term project was to design and simulate a 32-bit, 4 function integer calculator from available IC's. It was pretty interesting and fun. As you go along, you'll do much more interesting things. The field is extremely diverse but generally revolves around designing digital circuits (the types are too numerable to mention...if it has a chip in it and does stuff...) and writing the firmware/operating software for them.

Watch for 2nd sophomore semester to kick your ass ;]
boettcher
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by boettcher »

qpHalcy0n wrote:That course description sounds like a basic "Digital Logic" course and if this is the "lowest level" course that you have, then its likely that you are not taking circuits. This is probably good. Circuits can be extremely challenging. Our program requires two units of circuits (EE dept.) and is a pre-requisite for Embedded Systems.
I didn't mean "lowest level" in the usual computing sense. I meant that's the first course in the ECE department. Circuits come later. Here's the course list, so you can see what I mean.

Thanks for the replies, guys.
EdBoon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Top down multiplayer shooter using unity 3D
Favorite Gaming Platforms: 360, SNES, ps1
Programming Language of Choice: C++, C#

Post by EdBoon »

boettcher wrote:I already have some experience with programming (I've been at it for quite a while, but I keep going through periods of not having access to a computer or other problems. It's complicated, but basically every time I get around to learning about pointers or something, something happens and I can't program for months.), but I know precisely dick about electricity, hardware, etc.
You'll be fine. The EE101 class will start from scratch for the EE topics. Most of the Comp Es had 0 knowledge of those subjects coming in, some of the EEs did but still a large number of people were starting from scratch. And in fact, I believe our first programming class started with Hello World, just don't get too comfortable so when it does catch up to your skill level you don't take it lightly. Don't sweat it though.
Undead Empire -> http://bit.ly/dYdu3z
Gamerscore Tracker -> http://bit.ly/vI4T4X
Undead Empire: Hellfire -> http://bit.ly/1AgC4ZY
facebook.com/BigRookGames twitter.com/BigRookGames
youtube.com/user/bigrookdigital
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

boettcher wrote:
qpHalcy0n wrote:That course description sounds like a basic "Digital Logic" course and if this is the "lowest level" course that you have, then its likely that you are not taking circuits. This is probably good. Circuits can be extremely challenging. Our program requires two units of circuits (EE dept.) and is a pre-requisite for Embedded Systems.
I didn't mean "lowest level" in the usual computing sense. I meant that's the first course in the ECE department. Circuits come later. Here's the course list, so you can see what I mean.

Thanks for the replies, guys.
Yeah, there's no way in fuck you can get a CPE degree without taking circuits...

Digital Logic classes like that are easy as shit... It's the ANALOG circuitry EE classes that start fucking you in the asshole. Those were my hardest classes. Solve for the current over an inductor by deriving some crazy as shit integral based on a thevenin equivalent of the load across it... fuck that.
EdBoon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by EdBoon »

GyroVorbis wrote:Solve for the current over an inductor by deriving some crazy as shit integral based on a thevenin equivalent of the load across it... fuck that.
you better check yourself
boettcher
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by boettcher »

GyroVorbis wrote:Solve for the current over an inductor by deriving some crazy as shit integral based on a thevenin equivalent of the load across it... fuck that.
Soo excited... :|
EdBoon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by EdBoon »

i was tellin gyro to check himself, that was one of my favorite classes