Original Cave Tileset

General discussion pertaining to Elysian Shadows, ESTk, ESGamma, and the Adventures in Game Development series.

Moderators: News Mods, Elysian Shadows Team

Original Cave Tileset

Postby dandymcgee on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:22 pm

Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: Original Cave Tileset

Postby Falco Girgis on Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:15 am

This is really a fine example of why Pritam has been such an amazing pixel artist to work with. He went through literally dozens of iterations for the caves, completely abandoning his work and changing style and direction several times trying to find something that worked well.

Pixel art is a particularly technical art field, because it not only has to look good, but it also has to tile seamlessly. We have limited texture real-estate within the ES engine, so it is especially important that we are able use a minimal number of tiles to create larger structures.

I really commend Pritam's persistence and fearlessness. It definitely takes a lot of balls to create a product then scrap it and start over, because you realize that you could have done it better...
"So what happens if the Elysian Shadows Kickstarter fails?"
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Postby dandymcgee on Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:10 pm

Can I just say I'm a HUGE fan of Pritam's palette choices here. The purple shadowy glow of the cave tiles gives such a perfect feel for the environment we are trying to achieve in this area.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Postby Byte on Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:22 am

LOVE IT! The cave tilesets are amazing, keep the style throughout all the tilesets and you're good to go. Nice work! :)
Byte
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Postby MarauderIIC on Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:55 am

Falco Girgis wrote: It definitely takes a lot of balls to create a product then scrap it and start over, because you realize that you could have done it better...

You would know OH BURN ;)
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Postby dandymcgee on Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:54 am

last post by MarauderIIC on Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:50 pm

That was some hiatus! Welcome back. :cheers:
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Postby Falco Girgis on Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:22 pm

MarauderIIC wrote:
Falco Girgis wrote: It definitely takes a lot of balls to create a product then scrap it and start over, because you realize that you could have done it better...

You would know OH BURN ;)
I would. I have to be careful not to let them scrape on the ground, since they're so big these days.
"So what happens if the Elysian Shadows Kickstarter fails?"
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Return to Elysian Shadows Discussion