Developer's Resolution

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64
Programming Language of Choice: C++, PHP

Developer's Resolution

Post by superLED »

2015 is slowly creeping in on us, and 2014 is soon just a thing of the past.

Please write a little about what you have accomplished in 2014, whether it be in code, art, or game development in general.
And write a little about what your hopes for 2015 are!
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Re: Developer's Resolution

Post by superLED »

I'll start:

For me, 2014 was mostly a mess for me, due to some personal issues, but I managed to get a whole lot stable when it comes to making games for Android.
I'm almost done with my first serious game for the platform!
Programming for PC was something that I just put aside and kinda forgot. Which is sad, because that's what I love the most.
I think I just needed a break and try out some other stuff.

When it comes to 2015, I am going to finish and release my Android game (end of January/beginning of February).
After that, I am going to focus on a platform game I really wanna make for PC.
I also want to make small Android games on the sides, but my PC game will take most of my energy.
I want to try to make more Youbute videos (game development related), get a decent schedule, and hopefully grow my channel.

What I did wrong in 2014 was that I didn't have any plans, schedule or any form for structure. That is something I really need to work on.
Without any plans (just go with the flow), you don't have this feeling that you "need to do something". Nothing that pushes you. Nothing that should be done in a certain time.
gamenovice
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: wii u dev, sdl, and some unity 3D
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, GAMEBOY, GAMECUBE, WII, 3DS,PS2
Programming Language of Choice: C#,C++,Java

Post by gamenovice »

This year started off pretty unproductive, but I did make a nifty RPG about negotiation, so I felt happy about that. It took ALOT of trial and error, but I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of vectors in unity, and created a basic platformer rig that im pretty proud of. starting in 2015, im aiming to make one good game for the wii u (I got on board for the wii u indie developer thing, so that's awesome!).

Hopefully over the course of 2015 I can finally act like the game developer I've always wanted to be, and not having to ride school as an excuse as to why I havent done anything great yet. It's time to GET INTO GEAR!
without code, we wouldnt have life as we know it...
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by superLED »

gamenovice wrote:[...]im aiming to make one good game for the wii u (I got on board for the wii u indie developer thing, so that's awesome!).
Wow, that's amazing! Good luck with that. Please update us with this project. I would really love to see the progress :D
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer
Current Project: 2D RPG & NES Platformer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES,SNES,N64,Genesis,Dreamcast,PC,Xbox360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Light-Dark »

Well the majority of 2014 has been consumed by yet another romantic failure ("it's not you, it's me" again). Although I made some serious progress on my NES platformer engine and even made a little scrolling demo for the system! I seriously broke the dreamcast build of my RPG engine recently so a resolution for 2015 is to fix that ASAP and get back to development on that. I made a crude Lighting engine for the Dreamcast as well that will support bump mapping as soon as I fix it up. I've also started an iOS game, which got me and my friend featured in a local paper (I guess it's better than another story about another young person jumping or trying to jump off the bridge or another young person overdosing on oxy or meth). So a resolution for the new year would be to finish that and later invent a time machine to travel back to the 90s and roundhouse kick Steve Jobs in the face before he develops his fetish for Objective-C and it's disgusting syntax (Square brackets? Different names for parameters required at invokation of the method?? SERIOUSLY? Gah!). Nonetheless I wish everyone luck on their respective projects and resolutions and I hope you've all had a Merry Christmas, a happy Hanuka, Kwanzaa, etc. and I wish you a joyous New Year :) !
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step
gamenovice
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by gamenovice »

@Light-Dark That profile image is freaking awesome! :lol:

Best of luck to your projects, I can't wait to see( or even better, play) them! ...But yea, I hate OBJ-C, it's way too ugly a syntax to work with.
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer
Current Project: 2D RPG & NES Platformer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES,SNES,N64,Genesis,Dreamcast,PC,Xbox360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Light-Dark »

gamenovice wrote:@Light-Dark That profile image is freaking awesome! :lol:

Best of luck to your projects, I can't wait to see( or even better, play) them! ...But yea, I hate OBJ-C, it's way too ugly a syntax to work with.
Hey thanks man, I wish you the best of luck with yours! And it is feaking awesome :D! I saw it on facebook the other day and I had to make it my new profile image LOL.
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step
gamenovice
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by gamenovice »

superLED wrote:
gamenovice wrote:[...]im aiming to make one good game for the wii u (I got on board for the wii u indie developer thing, so that's awesome!).
Wow, that's amazing! Good luck with that. Please update us with this project. I would really love to see the progress :D
Will do! Chances are I will make a proper blog for updates but in the meantime, all my posts can be found at http://tjkothadev.blogspot.com. I don't make promises on frequent posting however so... look at your own peril!
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Light-Dark wrote:Nonetheless I wish everyone luck on their respective projects and resolutions and I hope you've all had a Merry Christmas, a happy Hanuka, Kwanzaa, etc. and I wish you a joyous New Year :) !
Thanks for that! Happy holidays to you all as well. :cheers:
gamenovice wrote:Will do! Chances are I will make a proper blog for updates but in the meantime, all my posts can be found at http://tjkothadev.blogspot.com. I don't make promises on frequent posting however so... look at your own peril!
FTFY. If you're going to partake in shameless self promotion at least have the decency to use [url] tags. Ain't nobody got time for copy-paste. ;)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
gamenovice
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by gamenovice »

dandymcgee wrote:
Light-Dark wrote:Nonetheless I wish everyone luck on their respective projects and resolutions and I hope you've all had a Merry Christmas, a happy Hanuka, Kwanzaa, etc. and I wish you a joyous New Year :) !
Thanks for that! Happy holidays to you all as well. :cheers:
gamenovice wrote:Will do! Chances are I will make a proper blog for updates but in the meantime, all my posts can be found at http://tjkothadev.blogspot.com. I don't make promises on frequent posting however so... look at your own peril!
FTFY. If you're going to partake in shameless self promotion at least have the decency to use [url] tags. Ain't nobody got time for copy-paste. ;)
Heheh, will do that next time ;)
... sadly i just learned about those tags now
AaronGlazer
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: things @ my job + gamedev fuckery
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: Jai <3

Post by AaronGlazer »

1600 x 900 :lol: LOL, jk. On the real, last year I tended to slack off a lot, using school as an excuse. In 2015 I hope to get back on my regular work track... still working on rewriting my engine with OpenGL. I'm gonna try to take a more serious tone to development this year.
"To buy, or not to buy -- just buy it."
- DG, the greatest broker to ever live.
YourNerdyJoe
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: Top secret (not really) Top-Down Shooter for GBA
Favorite Gaming Platforms: GBA, Gamecube, PC, 3DS
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by YourNerdyJoe »

Happy New Year Everyone!
I was kind of lazy in the beginning of 2014 but ended up doing a lot of devving in the latter half of the year.
My resolution for 2015 is make some epic homebrew for gba and 3ds and participate in One Game a Month at least semi-monthly.
Looking forward to seeing what everyone else accomplishes year!
See that?.....
Exactly
https://yournerdyjoe.github.io/