The Dream cast II thread

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

HeadClot
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

The Dream cast II thread

Post by HeadClot »

Hey everyone,

For those of you who are not aware. I am REALLY tired of waiting for a Dreamcast II. If it will come at all.
So I got an idea about the dream cast that I want to act on. If you are interested keep reading.

Hardware:
The hardware will be standard off the shelf x86 computer hardware. Users will need to assemble their dream cast II, clear and to the point guides will be available for this in Video and Written form via our site.

Operating System:
This is one of the things that I will need to provide. I am thinking about making it Debian or at-least Linux based. I would want to make our operating system open Source as well.

Store Front:
A simple web based store front with DRM-Free games. There is really no point in trying to lock down a open platform (See Below). This way people can enjoy games even after we bite the dust so to speak.

Open Platform:
I want the Dream cast II to be an open platform for Indies and AAA groups alike.

Cases:
I want to provide High Air Flow DreamCast themed cases in .STL and .OBJ formats for 3D printing via Shapeways.com and other sites.

Controllers
I need to look into this more. I am not sure if I can use off the shelf Controllers with a Linux based OS.

With that said...
I am really nervous about posting this but interested to hear what you guys think. I am still doing research into this so any help would be appreciated. Obviously It wont be called the Dreamcast II due to legal reasons.

Have a great day,
HeadClot
Dean Rivers
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Numerous things
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Mega Drive
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: The Dream cast II thread

Post by Dean Rivers »

I don't understand. Are you saying that you plan on designing a full-on computer system on an IC level? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part?
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, although a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"A genius is just a crazy person with an audience." - Tim Minchin

http://www.youtube.com/user/devlogstudios
HeadClot
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by HeadClot »

Dean Rivers wrote:I don't understand. Are you saying that you plan on designing a full-on computer system on an IC level? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part?
Hey Dean,

Wishful thinking on your part - I am planning on Using out of the store/box hardware for building the Dreamcast II. think Steam Machines and SteamOS here but without the built in DRM that is steam. Think more like GOG.com for the storefront.

There are obvious benefits for using standard x86 computer components for this.
- Being to upgrade the Dreamcast II with more ram, more CPU power or a better video card.
- You are not restricted by "Proprietary Hardware" like the Xbox 360 Power PC and the PS3's IBM architecture.
- You do not have to get custom hardware made in units of a million by a factory overseas.

I can go on and on about this.

The hard bit will be getting and customizing Debian with needed features as I am not a programmer. More or less an artist with allot of marketing sense.

- Ben
Dean Rivers
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Numerous things
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Mega Drive
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Dean Rivers »

The main thing that springs into my mind is the initial funding for the project. Because it's hardware based, things will be more difficult to get started compared to a digital product. I don't know much about Steam Machine, but you might want to establish yourself more in the independent gaming scene if they're going to be the target audience.

Start a YouTube channel, personify yourself and your product on all the relevant forums and social networks. The great thing is that you'll be commercially minded from the start. As far as I'm aware, the ES team didn't intend for their videos to be a particular way to market their game. But they're unparalleled conviction towards the quality of their project more than made up for it!

If you have full faith and motivation in your project, and you're commercially minded from the start, you'll get the best of both worlds. Unfortunately I can't offer any programming services of my own towards the project. But if you do decide to give it a try, I wish you the best of luck.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, although a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"A genius is just a crazy person with an audience." - Tim Minchin

http://www.youtube.com/user/devlogstudios
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

It kind of sounds like you're trying to replicate the OUYA. What are the differences/advantages of your creation?
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

dandymcgee wrote:It kind of sounds like you're trying to replicate the OUYA. What are the differences/advantages of your creation?
It's a motherfucking SEGA DREAMCAST! :twisted:
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Falco Girgis wrote:
dandymcgee wrote:It kind of sounds like you're trying to replicate the OUYA. What are the differences/advantages of your creation?
It's a motherfucking SEGA DREAMCAST! :twisted:
Not until Sega implements it and slaps their logo on it. 8-)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted: