Building a Desktop

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

Benjamin100
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Building a Desktop

Post by Benjamin100 »

Well,
I'm feeling my laptop is a little outdated (not much though,) and that I could use a bit more powerful of a computer.
So I've decided to build a desktop. I'm also thinking about installing Ubuntu as the operating system. I've never used Linux before and I'm not sure how difficult it would be to use, but I always have my laptop to use until I get the hang of it.

I've been looking around and comparing reviews and prices of various components. I'm looking at getting an Intel i5 with a Gigabyte micro ATX motherboard. Looking at a Western Digital hard drive, (not sure whether to get 1 TB or 500 GB.) I'm not sure how important RAM will be, but judging by what I've read at least 8 GB is best.

One of the things I'm not sure about is a CPU cooler. Apparently many desktop builders like to get a separate cooler from the one that comes with the processor. Is the stock cooler usually not good enough? I think the cooler seems a bit expensive and I'm not sure how much it affects performance capabilities.

Also, it seems higher Watt power supplies cost more. What is the advantage of a higher Watt power supply?
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: Building a Desktop

Post by dandymcgee »

Sounds pretty similar to my setup, great PC runs everything I've ever asked it to just fine. If I was building a new one right now I'd pick up at least an i7, but if your price point is the i5 it will do just fine (I have an i5).
Benjamin100 wrote:One of the things I'm not sure about is a CPU cooler. Apparently many desktop builders like to get a separate cooler from the one that comes with the processor. Is the stock cooler usually not good enough? I think the cooler seems a bit expensive and I'm not sure how much it affects performance capabilities.
Not sure what you mean by "cooler". A standard cooling system consists of a heat sync and some number of fans (in additional the one attached to the heat sync). The stock Intel heat syncs are pretty amazing, and will even handle light overclocking (The K model Intel processors are unlocked which allows you to overclock them, and the stock heat sync is designed to support that). The rest of the cooling system is usually dependent upon the case you choose. Any gaming tower case is likely going to have more than enough fans, but if you get a cheap case you need to make sure it has excellent airflow or you're just wasting money.
Benjamin100 wrote:Also, it seems higher Watt power supplies cost more. What is the advantage of a higher Watt power supply?
You need AT LEAST enough watts to power all of your components (don't forget to account for DVD drives / USB devices / other powered peripherals you might be using simultaneously). Usually people get something a bit bigger than what they need to allow for later expansion without having to upgrade the PSU. I really like Corsair PSUs, but as long as you buy any respectable brand with enough watts you'll be good to go.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Benjamin100
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Benjamin100 »

OK, Thanks.
I will look at getting a decent power supply.
I'll probably be getting an i5 processor. I'll think about it.
Accy
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Accy »

dandymcgee wrote: You need AT LEAST enough watts to power all of your components (don't forget to account for DVD drives / USB devices / other powered peripherals you might be using simultaneously). Usually people get something a bit bigger than what they need to allow for later expansion without having to upgrade the PSU. I really like Corsair PSUs, but as long as you buy any respectable brand with enough watts you'll be good to go.
This. If you have lower wattage than you need, you're computer is probably going to catch on fire (or at least, that's what textbooks I've read say). As a rule of thumb, add up all the wattage from all the parts and add 25% of that. So if your computer requires 400 watts, get a 500 watt power supply. PSU and CPU are the most important parts of your PC, so don't skimp on them.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

Accy wrote:PSU and CPU are the most important parts of your PC, so don't skimp on them.
Depending on your use case I might even prioritize GPU over CPU, and those use A LOT of power.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Benjamin100
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Benjamin100 »

Would you get a separate GPU?
Even though the processor has graphics in it also?
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

Benjamin100 wrote:Would you get a separate GPU?
Even though the processor has graphics in it also?
Integrated graphics aren't going to come close to the rendering requirements of some modern 3D games. If you're not going to be gaming much then you can probably pass up a dedicated video card, but if you are, you need a decent video card. I spent about $220 on my video card out of the $900 total build cost.
Benjamin100
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Benjamin100 »

Wow! OK.
I will shop around.
qpHalcy0n
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by qpHalcy0n »

Depending on just how high end you're going, you can get by with a pretty kicking desktop for pretty cheap. I just built a second one that is AMD based and spent around $600 (without monitor) and it performs remarkably.

AMD FX-6300 (3rd gen. piledriver/3.5-4.1GHz)
MSI 970-A based mainboard
8GB of some DDR3 mem (probably 1866MHz)
Radeon 7790OC
500W PSU (Just ensure that the 12V rail can deal w/ the current for the video card and is of a name brand...Antec, Coolermaster, Thermaltake, etc..)
Some high spindle speed/large buffer hard disk of sufficient size
A case to hold the crap

You can get away with this for around $600. If you like to play some pretty obscene games, then it should handle them just fine. Haven't run into one I haven't been able to play yet. My main system though is a 3rd gen Intel i5 system. Those can spiral into the $1000+ range pretty quickly.
Accy
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Accy »

dandymcgee wrote:
Accy wrote:PSU and CPU are the most important parts of your PC, so don't skimp on them.
Depending on your use case I might even prioritize GPU over CPU, and those use A LOT of power.
I always found that a $100-120 GPU will do the trick for the next 3-4 years. I am a big fan of MSI. I like 2-fan GPUs.

Though make sure you get a big enough case and motherboard to hold one :lol:
qpHalcy0n
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by qpHalcy0n »

You can definitely get away with a $100 video card. My 2nd desktop has a Radeon 7790OC in it and it performs exceptionally well. Outperforms the GTX660, a step under the 660Ti.
YourNerdyJoe
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: Top secret (not really) Top-Down Shooter for GBA
Favorite Gaming Platforms: GBA, Gamecube, PC, 3DS
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by YourNerdyJoe »

I agree, you should get a gpu but no need to go overboard (eg gtx titan).
I'm using a radeon hd 6870 which was was 1 gen old when I got it.
Still plays games like Tribes Ascend, Starcraft 2, and Planetside 2 just fine.

And NEVER cheap out on your psu. It is the most important part of your computer.
Get one that has the 80+ efficiency and sufficient wattage and you'll be good.
Stay away from those cheap diablotek. Heard they're firework disguised as power supplies :)
See that?.....
Exactly
https://yournerdyjoe.github.io/
Benjamin100
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Benjamin100 »

Is it easier to install the CPU onto the motherboard when it is outside of the case, or is it better to install the motherboard first?
qpHalcy0n
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by qpHalcy0n »

Benjamin100 wrote:Is it easier to install the CPU onto the motherboard when it is outside of the case, or is it better to install the motherboard first?
I personally find it easier to install the CPU, fan, and mem when its outside of the case.
Benjamin100
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Benjamin100 »

Well shit.
I was trying to line it up with the input cover AND the screw spots, and the thing scratched on the bottom. Looks pretty bad. It scratched one of those silver dots around the hole, and is showing some copper.
Should I just try it out? It looks pretty bad.