So what are you guys doing these days?

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

So what are you guys doing these days?

Post by Falco Girgis »

Work? Student? Lazy bum?

I graduated about 2 years back, and have been working in telecommunications... I basically write embedded software for "fiber optic modems" (to give a simplified analogy) and still develop ES in my spare time. You guys?
Nokurn
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, N64
Programming Language of Choice: Proper C++

Re: So what are you guys doing these days?

Post by Nokurn »

Filling out my general ed to transfer to university (likely MIT or Stanford), going to grab a few associate's degrees for the hell of it on my way out. Working on my computer science/physics research project, which I'll be presenting to the board of trustees of my school next month. Hoping to coauthor a paper about it with the physics professor I'm collaborating with on the project.

It's a motion and gravity simulator that is used much like Premiere Pro or other video editing suites. It started out as an extremely simple simulator for looking at angular momentum in a physics lab. Then he realized that I could do much better, so it was extended to multiple bodies. Then gravity followed. I will probably post some screenshots of the demo I make for the board presentation if people are interested. Maybe start writing about it on my currently-empty blog.

It's written in C++ with Qt and uses Eigen for linear algebra.

Edit: And OpenGL for rendering the space.
K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by K-Bal »

Stop distracting me, I'm trying to work on my master thesis in Computer Engineering ;) I'm coding a simulation of tumor growth to provide a framework for future simulations of whatever people in the institute want to analyze. The reason is that it's quite expensive, time consuming and morally questionable to do animal experiments especially if you don't know yet what the mechanisms behind your treatment are. There is a software that already does what I'm implementing but it's slow as hell. I use CUDA to make it lightning fast 8-)
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Nokurn wrote:Filling out my general ed to transfer to university (likely MIT or Stanford)
This is going to sound bad, but I mean absolutely no offense. Do you honestly think you have a shot at getting into either of these? It is clear to me that you are highly intelligent, but I have learned that this doesn't matter when it comes to ivy-league schools... I once had a friend in high-school that perfected the ACT, had over a 4.5 GPA, made straight As, took every AP class he could, made 5s on every AP test, was vice president of the student body, and participated in a multitude of extra curricular activities--the man was a certifiable genius. The smartest motherfucker I had ever met... But it didn't matter. They didn't look twice at him. Schools like that are more about how much money you have, who you know, and who your parents are. It's a sad truth.
Nokurn wrote:It's a motion and gravity simulator that is used much like Premiere Pro or other video editing suites. It started out as an extremely simple simulator for looking at angular momentum in a physics lab. Then he realized that I could do much better, so it was extended to multiple bodies. Then gravity followed. I will probably post some screenshots of the demo I make for the board presentation if people are interested. Maybe start writing about it on my currently-empty blog.

Damn, that sounds badass. I need to check out the "Eigen." I have never heard of it...
K-Bal wrote:Stop distracting me, I'm trying to work on my master thesis in Computer Engineering I'm coding a simulation of tumor growth to provide a framework for future simulations of whatever people in the institute want to analyze. The reason is that it's quite expensive, time consuming and morally questionable to do animal experiments especially if you don't know yet what the mechanisms behind your treatment are. There is a software that already does what I'm implementing but it's slow as hell. I use CUDA to make it lightning fast
I thought you were out being a rock star these days... Aren't you supposed to be out snorting lines of coke off of a stripper's ass? Or do you just do that in between the coding? ;)

I'm too much of a pussy to do graduate school, but that project definitely sounds badass. I did take one graduate level course as an undergrad that sounds kind of similar. It was about hardware accelerating CPU-bound processes with GPGPU and FPGAs. I did my project with OpenCL. I absolutely loved that shit. When I get more time, I would love to delve back into the world of GPGPU computing...
Nokurn
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, N64
Programming Language of Choice: Proper C++

Post by Nokurn »

Falco Girgis wrote:
Nokurn wrote:Filling out my general ed to transfer to university (likely MIT or Stanford)
This is going to sound bad, but I mean absolutely no offense. Do you honestly think you have a shot at getting into either of these? It is clear to me that you are highly intelligent, but I have learned that this doesn't matter when it comes to ivy-league schools... I once had a friend in high-school that perfected the ACT, had over a 4.5 GPA, made straight As, took every AP class he could, made 5s on every AP test, was vice president of the student body, and participated in a multitude of extra curricular activities--the man was a certifiable genius. The smartest motherfucker I had ever met... But it didn't matter. They didn't look twice at him. Schools like that are more about how much money you have, who you know, and who your parents are. It's a sad truth.
None taken. I am fairly confident about MIT. Stanford not so much. The other schools I will apply to aren't as grandios or expensive, but are much closer to where I live (Souther California). I don't want to move too far away from home unless it's a really spectacular school. University of San Diego, which is close to my hometown, is my third choice. I have no doubt that a UC would be happy to accept me if I have one or two papers in circulation.
Falco Girgis wrote:
Nokurn wrote:It's a motion and gravity simulator that is used much like Premiere Pro or other video editing suites. It started out as an extremely simple simulator for looking at angular momentum in a physics lab. Then he realized that I could do much better, so it was extended to multiple bodies. Then gravity followed. I will probably post some screenshots of the demo I make for the board presentation if people are interested. Maybe start writing about it on my currently-empty blog.

Damn, that sounds badass. I need to check out the "Eigen." I have never heard of it...
Eigen is a templated C++ linear algebra library. It's very heavily optimized to be minimally affected by the costs of C++ while benefiting from the optimizations that templates offer. It's quite flexible and extensible.

There's a good article in their Doxygen pages about the inner workings of a simple snippet.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

I wish you the best of luck, dude. I would go for MIT. ;)

Eigen sounds awesome. I still need to look into it further, but you can definitely do some powerful shit with the compile-time polymorphism C++ templates offer... lots of times that's faster than doing things the traditional C way. I would definitely like to see how this is used in the context of a math library.
Calypso
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, GBC
Programming Language of Choice: Obj-c

Post by Calypso »

Currently I'm job hunting, you wouldn't believe how hard it is to find an iOS dev position, the only alternative I have is leverage my web experience and hate my life while working on HTML5 apps and do native work on the side until I can find something better. I'm also working on a framework and another project.
mattheweston
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Breakout clone, Unnamed 2D RPG
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, XBOX360
Programming Language of Choice: C#

Post by mattheweston »

I'm currently working on a web based system that will allow easy exchange of data between different applications that are used for maintaining information about Oil and Gas wells that are in the process of being drilled.

I'm also finishing my masters in October. Still not sure what I'm going to do for my thesis/final project this summer.
K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by K-Bal »

Falco Girgis wrote:I thought you were out being a rock star these days... Aren't you supposed to be out snorting lines of coke off of a stripper's ass? Or do you just do that in between the coding? ;)
I thought everybody does that so I didn't bother to mention it ;)
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Man, I don't post here too often anymore. I myself am giving life the "ol' community college try" while working part time doing sysadmin stuff for an accounting firm in town. Just working on getting my associates before I go to a university. Code-wise I mainly work on projects for class and work. My downtime is filled with homework and a shit load of travelling. I have a project I'm working on with a friend, but it's not gotten very far with semesters getting in the way. It's rather ambitious and I never intended to actually begin working on it, but I pitched the idea to my friend and he thought we might as well tinker with it. So we'll see where that goes.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

I do so much coding at work I mostly play games or hang out with the wife when I'm home.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
Anickyan
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Anickyan »

I'm currently in school, heading towards some computer science stuff. In the rest of the time, I am developing my text editor, Da VIMci (probably a temporary name)
gamenovice
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: wii u dev, sdl, and some unity 3D
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, GAMEBOY, GAMECUBE, WII, 3DS,PS2
Programming Language of Choice: C#,C++,Java

Post by gamenovice »

i decided to follow in the steps of marcel and learn qt. it sounds like an interesting sdk. I already have ideas about programming a software documentation suite, so maybe ill post a few videos to the forums when i get the chance
without code, we wouldnt have life as we know it...
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

gamenovice wrote:i decided to follow in the steps of marcel and learn qt. it sounds like an interesting sdk. I already have ideas about programming a software documentation suite, so maybe ill post a few videos to the forums when i get the chance
In the steps of Marcel? I'm the only Toolkit developer.

And yeah, it is a great framework to work with.
EddieRingle
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by EddieRingle »

Turned 19 today. That was fun, I guess. Of course, Mexican food isn't my favorite so every year it's up to me to come up with an alternative, else things degrade into a Cinco de Mayo thing. This year was Jimmy John's.

Didn't go to college last Fall, not sure if I'll go this Fall. All my friends have finished their first year. So far I've been making good money as an Android contractor so until that gig is up I don't see a reason to put myself through the time pit that is formal education again. Currently planning to move downtown and room with a friend or two attending Wayne, so hopefully then I'll be able to actually socialize with folks my age more often rather than being stuck up in my room all day every day.

Posted earlier this year about messing around with the OUYA. Ended up getting burnt out after hitting what's probably a simple bump in the road (but the fact that there wasn't really an end goal to that project probably didn't help). Looking to start back up with game dev again. This time I think I'll try building a city simulator since 1) apparently no one wants anything to do with the new SimCity and 2) I'm genuinely curious as to whether SimCity's "agent" simulation model is flawed by design or just by execution.