What should I do?

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

Aspirer
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

What should I do?

Post by Aspirer »

I would like to make games for a living, and for years I've been designing a game I would love to make. Its a very obvious idea, and there are some elements of it in a lot of games I see today, I fear its only going to get worse. I think it may be another 6-7 years before I'm actually out of school, and making games. I'm afraid someone else is going to make something similar to it, and it will get huge, and there will be this huge rush to produce games like it. By the end my game will be nothing special, and won't be "first".

Its really anxiety inducing, frustrating, disappointing, and depressing to see all this effort wasted on something which won't be what I want it to be. I've already seen a few games which mimic my owns style, and I've even heard about some new ones that haven't even been announced. This game is all I've wanted to produce for the last ten years, ever since I was a kid.

Right now I don't know if I should even try. I can't make anything that translates over to 3d games devving, I don't have the math or programming skills. I feel like the features I'm designing for this game are going to be way beyond my own programming skills if/when I get there, that its all pointless and futile.

I can't do anything to stop the industry from producing what it wants to produce. I can't make this game without the proper education, and that's going to take time!

What should I do?
"We got more information out of a German general with a game of chess or Ping-Pong than they do today, with their torture" --Henry Kolm
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: What should I do?

Post by dandymcgee »

Everyone tends to think they were the first to have an idea when they think of something that they haven't heard of before. In reality, that is almost never the case. With the advent of the internet, it is even easier to see just how unoriginal you are. Think of the most bizzarre idea ever, google it, chances are it has at least been thought of before, if not done. Even then, not every idea ever conceived can be googled (though its suprising how many can).

The best you can do is stop worrying. Ideas are free (last I checked). You will have many good ones over the course of your life, a few great ones, and many more terrible ones. Work on something that is achievable today, in order to work toward something you hope to be achievable in the future. If there is one guarantee, it is that your success will be the direct result of effort and experience. Without experience you will make devastating mistakes (which fortunately for you, improves your experience), and without effort you will make nothing.

When the time comes that you are dedicated enough to make whatever your heart desires, the ideas will shortly follow.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted: