Social Network

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

tappatekie
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Web browser from scratch
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, PSP, PS1 and 3
Programming Language of Choice: C#

Re: Social Network

Post by tappatekie »

mattheweston wrote:I don't mean this to be mean, but I think you may lose out on users by limiting it to chrome and firefox browsers. WIndows users have IE out of the box and many people are too lazy to try to install a new browser (aka chrome or firefox.) Also you are cutting out many iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch users by not developing for Safari.
It works on IPhone and IPad, I have checked with them and they work the same as chrome. But for some reason, a few things go wrong with the desktop version of Safari.
However, if anyone here is a web developer they are free to help me make the site "ie friendly", they'l have access to the back-end files (which are't split onto 1 line)
mattheweston
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Breakout clone, Unnamed 2D RPG
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, XBOX360

Post by mattheweston »

In that case you may want to at least put a blurb on the main screen to the effect of this works with iPhone, iPod, etc.
tappatekie
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by tappatekie »

Social now supports Internet Explorer!, as well as nearly all the rest of the web browsers.

(Edit: Before you say, at this moment in time, the chat system (messaging part) is disabled since the server load at the minute is immense).

If you find a browser that the site is buggy on, tell me :D
tappatekie
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by tappatekie »

I have updated the look of the site drastically with the new profile page, now I have done the same with the logon page :D. Check it out.
We also have a "Feed" system which basically helps you keep track of your friends.
tappatekie
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by tappatekie »

Any feedback on the site?
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

My mother always told me that if I didn't have anything nice to say, I shouldn't say anything at all. For the sake of constructive criticism though, I'm not sure how you expect anyone to find anyone else on the site. The only way to search for people is to know that they have an account on the site, and as far as I can tell I can only view my own profile. There's not even a way to view my own profile ID so as to provide it to other people so that they can find me. I'm assuming there's a get parameter in profile.php (or w/e the filename is) that allows viewing specific profiles other than your own. Navigating to that page without providing that variable should show your own profile, as it does, but should forward you to profile.php?id=x where x is my profile ID so that I can see it.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
bbguimaraes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Post by bbguimaraes »

Does your "Full name" register box forbids non-ASCII characters? when I try to input my full name, which has an "ã", it says:
Please enter your full name ("Firstname Middle Names Surname" or "F.Surname")
tappatekie
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by tappatekie »

dandymcgee wrote:I'm assuming there's a get parameter in profile.php (or w/e the filename is) that allows viewing specific profiles other than your own. Navigating to that page without providing that variable should show your own profile, as it does, but should forward you to profile.php?id=x where x is my profile ID so that I can see it.
Yes there is, it's actually http://www.dasocial.net/?user=userid
I have also setup http://www.dasocial.net/username as well as http://username.dasocial.net
As for knowing what this is on the site, is a work in progress.

bbguimaraes wrote:Does your "Full name" register box forbids non-ASCII characters? when I try to input my full name, which has an "ã"
I apologize for this, at the moment, the site only lets a-z characters. I am going to alter it soon.
bbguimaraes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by bbguimaraes »

OK, but I think you should put a message there. It took me some time to realize that was the problem, and it can be frustrating to others who can't sign in even though they are doing everything right.
tappatekie
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by tappatekie »

bbguimaraes wrote:OK, but I think you should put a message there. It took me some time to realize that was the problem, and it can be frustrating to others who can't sign in even though they are doing everything right.
Hmm, I think it won't be necessary to have a message there to say that those characters are not supported since the fix will be live very soon.
I will however have more "in-depth" error's to say exactly what's wrong.
tappatekie
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by tappatekie »

tappatekie wrote:
bbguimaraes wrote:OK, but I think you should put a message there. It took me some time to realize that was the problem, and it can be frustrating to others who can't sign in even though they are doing everything right.
Hmm, I think it won't be necessary to have a message there to say that those characters are not supported since the fix will be live very soon.
If you have registered, the name is recognized but not sent out. I am on the case now.
tappatekie
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by tappatekie »

tappatekie wrote:
tappatekie wrote:
If you have registered, the name is recognized but not sent out. I am on the case now.
Fixed (it was just a database encoding error)
You probably hate the site now that it has had all these gliches, but to justify it, the site was launched WAY to early.
I developed Social as you see it (from scratch including webserver and database) in 4 weeks (wanted to see if it could be done), meaning that most of the code is pretty much untested for real-world scenarios, like bbguimaraes pointed out with the registration.
I am seriously considering a "relaunch" where I have alot more time to develop the site and get the sites backend running off a SQL sever, but not sure that you guys would actually trust the site again for a new relaunch after how many gliches it has had. But I hope you understand now, as to why it is so glichy.
Or, I clean up the gliches now with the live server, publish it, and just leave it running. While I work on the server code to run faster, better and with SQL.
Last edited by tappatekie on Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bbguimaraes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by bbguimaraes »

Not at all, I knew the purpose was to "beta test" it. Everything I tried seemed to work (which was logging in, seeing the "no friends" message and creating a "hello world" post).
tappatekie
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by tappatekie »

bbguimaraes wrote:Not at all, I knew the purpose was to "beta test" it. Everything I tried seemed to work (which was logging in, seeing the "no friends" message and creating a "hello world" post).
Okay, think it's a good idea to open up a "dreamland.dasocial.net" (like phpBB's Area51 thing...) to have all the features i'm working on to be tested before it goes "live"?.
Hmm, no idea how I'm going to intergrate it with the live server since it's all on 1 IP :L maybe a port number as well/instead of like dasocial.net:81
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

tappatekie wrote:
bbguimaraes wrote:Not at all, I knew the purpose was to "beta test" it. Everything I tried seemed to work (which was logging in, seeing the "no friends" message and creating a "hello world" post).
Okay, think it's a good idea to open up a "dreamland.dasocial.net" (like phpBB's Area51 thing...) to have all the features i'm working on to be tested before it goes "live"?.
Hmm, no idea how I'm going to intergrate it with the live server since it's all on 1 IP :L maybe a port number as well/instead of like dasocial.net:81
You don't need more than one IP to have subdomains. If you're using apache, you may want to look into Virtual Hosts. Also, you said you wanted to move to SQL. Out of curiosity what are you using now?
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted: