Should I attend my graduation ceremony?

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Should I attend my graduation ceremony?

Post by Marx Chaotix »

With the final year of my high school coming to a halt, everyone is preparing for the graduation ceremony. I personally don't really much care for the ceremony. Getting my diploma is what I was working for. Not for the ceremony. Either way I look at it I get my certificate and more importantly acheive my education. Strangely, a few friends of mine are constantly egging me on to go to the ceremony. I just see no point in standing around for several hours waiting for my name to be called onto stage with people I don't know. I can't say I'd have any regrets missing this day. I see the milestone in myself recieving the diploma and the education. I didn't go to high school for the celebration. I went to it for my education which is more valueble to me then any ceremony.

What do you guys think? Did any of you skip? You have any regrets?
VolsporTV
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: The Void
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, Dreamcast
Programming Language of Choice: C/++ and ByondScript

Re: Should I attend my graduation ceremony?

Post by VolsporTV »

I would attend it.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

I had a few really awesome teachers that probably would have been sad not to see me there. I enjoyed having one last time to celebrate and say goodbye to many people I'll never see again.

That said, it was indoors in a gymnasium and hot as fucking hell. I sat there dripping with sweat for a few hours and it was quite boring and uncomfortable.

If it's outside, definitely go. If it's inside, weigh the pros and cons and decide for yourself.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by LeonBlade »

Marx Chaotix wrote:With the final year of my high school coming to a halt, everyone is preparing for the graduation ceremony. I personally don't really much care for the ceremony. Getting my diploma is what I was working for. Not for the ceremony. Either way I look at it I get my certificate and more importantly acheive my education. Strangely, a few friends of mine are constantly egging me on to go to the ceremony. I just see no point in standing around for several hours waiting for my name to be called onto stage with people I don't know. I can't say I'd have any regrets missing this day. I see the milestone in myself recieving the diploma and the education. I didn't go to high school for the celebration. I went to it for my education which is more valueble to me then any ceremony.

What do you guys think? Did any of you skip? You have any regrets?
I honestly didn't enjoy mine, sure you can see people you know there, but you could also just go there as a regular person if they allow that. If not, you can meet up with people you do know afterwards if it's really that huge of a deal.

The ceremony is something that was just awkward for me, the gown thing you wear is just ridiculous, and it's just pointless to me to waste my time going to a ceremony like that.

Just from my perspective, if you don't care about the ceremonial side of it, I'd say it's safe to pass it up. People say that it's something for a good experience, but you'll soon forget all about it...
There's no place like ~/
PaperDuckyFTW
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by PaperDuckyFTW »

It's also a time where your family can be proud seeing you graduate, their time and money being well spent.

I went to the shittiest public school in my area, and literally everyone was disgusted with our shit graduation ceremony. (and in australia, we don't have the fancy gowns and the tied-up scrolls) But at least we won't winder how it would have been.

Eitherway, the after grad party is where its at.
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Marx Chaotix »

I talked with my parents about it and surprisingly they really didn't mind at all. They were supportive of my decision and decided that instead we'll go out to eat at a nice resteraunt afterwards invite my friends over. =) Sounds better to me than graduation.
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Post by Arce »

I didn't go.

I graduated early, and it cost an exuberant amount of money for "cap and gown," "senior day," and a bunch of other novelties that I didn't actually get due to my early graduation. So I said, 'fuck it.'

Oh, yeah, and I was trying desperately to avoid my ex-girlfriend at all costs. Safe bet she was there. ;)

Only regret I have was the fact that I was friends with some of the people giving speeches. I was able to find 'em on facebook later, though.

Had to pickup my diploma from the school a year later, and the registrar was quite a cunt about it. After being in the "real world" a while, I nearly forgot how unhappy faculty in an "closed school environment" can truly fester. :lol:
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt