How did you stumble across the Elysian Shadows Project?

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

How did you find the Adventures in Game Development series?

YouTube Search
81%
Google Search
3%
Facebook Page
No votes
Twitter Stream
No votes
Word of Mouth
6%
Other (Please reply below)
10%

Total votes: 63

EccentricDuck
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Isometric "2.5D" Airship Game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS2, SNES, GBA, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C#, Python, JScript

Re: How did you stumble across the Elysian Shadows Project?

Post by EccentricDuck »

I was looking for "how to get into game development" videos or something along those lines and that's where I stumbled upon this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZLDgxVMcHI

I found it to be very honest (despite the fact that I think it honestly takes a musician just as long, if not longer, to get to a decent level of skill than a programmer).

Then I saw more videos and I found them interesting.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Other: Friends with developer when he started
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by GroundUpEngine »

dense wrote:I believe I first stumbled on LusikkaMage and then saw GyroVorbis in the Featured Channels list. :)
+1 ;)
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

GroundUpEngine wrote:
dense wrote:I believe I first stumbled on LusikkaMage and then saw GyroVorbis in the Featured Channels list. :)
+1 ;)
Yeah, I know for at least a little while we were both each other's top related channels.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Falco Girgis wrote:
GroundUpEngine wrote:
+1 ;)
Yeah, I know for at least a little while we were both each other's top related channels.
Well considering the fact that she was a member of the team for a little while.. that's about as related as a non-sibling can get. :P
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Benjamin100
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Benjamin100 »

EccentricDuck wrote:I was looking for "how to get into game development" videos or something along those lines and that's where I stumbled upon this video:
I found it through those videos too.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Benjamin100 wrote:
EccentricDuck wrote:I was looking for "how to get into game development" videos or something along those lines and that's where I stumbled upon this video:
I found it through those videos too.
Yeah, lots of people did... I honestly hate those videos. I hated making them, I hate watching them, and I don't even respond to the comments on them anymore (although I respond to all AiGD videos).

I made those videos, because I knew they would bring the viewers. My motives were about as pure as... Taylor Swift's vagina. To this day, they are still our most viewed videos, and they still do bring the subscribers...

I tried to spicen them up with some personality and humor. Quite a bit more than usual. I get quite a few "you're an arrogant asshole" comments on those videos, and I just don't feel like fighting over something I made to be humorous 5 years ago now. The irony is that they are still one of the top search results for "Game Development," so they can't be that bad. ;)
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

Falco Girgis wrote:My motives were about as pure as... Taylor Swift's vagina.
Taylor Swift's vagina isn't pure? </3 :cry:
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
spadusa
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by spadusa »

Hey ES team. I'm a longtime follower, but have mostly been a lurker; first time posting. I was looking around for some videos on game dev during some part of my beginning college career. Stumbled upon the Gyro Vorbis channel and liked Faclo's nonchalant and conversational game dev videos and found the AIGD on his channel. The rest is history, as they say. I've been following progress since the days of Marcel's shenanigans before the toolkit was Qt (I remember watching the AIGD when he broke the new that he chose Qt and everyone was flaming him). I've wasted away a lot of time over the AIGD vids, Gyro Vorbis's misc videos and, more recently, the livestream. I have to say, ES is probably one of the biggest inspirations for me to start indie game dev...I've embarked on 4 or 5 games that almost invariably got hung up on the need for art assets.

Anyway, thought I'd finally become more than just a leecher and join in the community. I've since graduated with a BS in CS and am a web dev at a small company in Florida. Hope the recent splurge in ES progress keeps happening.

Till next time.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

spadusa wrote:I've wasted away a lot of time over the AIGD vids, Gyro Vorbis's misc videos and, more recently, the livestream.
spadusa wrote:I have to say, ES is probably one of the biggest inspirations for me to start indie game dev...
Doesn't sound like wasted time to me. ;)
spadusa wrote:Anyway, thought I'd finally become more than just a leecher and join in the community. I've since graduated with a BS in CS and am a web dev at a small company in Florida. Hope the recent splurge in ES progress keeps happening.
Great to have ya on the forums! Don't be shy about promoting projects or sharing cool news on the forums.
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Post by Arce »

Welcome, spadusa!

Elysian Shadows and related projects used to be what got me through my mundane days at school. The forums in particular were a much needed reprieve; I would spam refresh any time I could get my hands on a computer. The community that sprouted up around ES is still here, although in a slightly dormant form, and are surprisingly like-minded when it comes to development, games, philosophy, and even life experiences.

I hope you make yourself at home and look forward to any future discussions you might bring. ;)

edit: Oh, and to be on topic: I stumbled upon ES by voting democratically. The name was once in question: Shadows of Elysian, Echoes of Elysium, and a few others were runner ups. There was even a time when "Dead Sky" was the title. But we finally decided on ES after much discussion in Private Dev.
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

Arce wrote:Welcome, spadusa!
Better late than never. :mrgreen:
Arce wrote:The name was once in question: Shadows of Elysian, Echoes of Elysium, and a few others were runner ups. There was even a time when "Dead Sky" was the title. But we finally decided on ES after much discussion in Private Dev.
Ah, "Dead Sky"! I was trying to recall that in the stream chat the other day, but my brain kept getting distracted by No Man's Sky's code name "Project Skyscraper". Haha.
JamesGoblin
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by JamesGoblin »

I googled gaming forums (or something like that, I don't remember the exact keywords).
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

JamesGoblin wrote:I googled gaming forums (or something like that, I don't remember the exact keywords).
Haha, nice one dude. Welcome, then. Be sure to watch the "Adventures in Game Development" series on YouTube if you haven't already so you're up-to-date with the on-goings around here.

See: https://www.youtube.com/user/GyroVorbis/playlists
JamesGoblin
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by JamesGoblin »

dandymcgee wrote:
JamesGoblin wrote:I googled gaming forums (or something like that, I don't remember the exact keywords).
Haha, nice one dude. Welcome, then. Be sure to watch the "Adventures in Game Development" series on YouTube if you haven't already so you're up-to-date with the on-goings around here.

See: https://www.youtube.com/user/GyroVorbis/playlists
Aye aye sir! Checked it, I even gave some likes :)