Forum suggestion

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Forum suggestion

Post by N64vSNES »

superLED suggested a "Quick Question" topic, which made me think, would it be possible to have some section of the forum systematically clear itself out?

For example, if it's a question that won't really be a benefit to others, why keep it hogging all the server space?

Just figured it would be an idea worth putting forth.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: Forum suggestion

Post by dandymcgee »

N64vSNES wrote:superLED suggested a "Quick Question" topic, which made me think, would it be possible to have some section of the forum systematically clear itself out?

For example, if it's a question that won't really be a benefit to others, why keep it hogging all the server space?

Just figured it would be an idea worth putting forth.
We prefer to keep it in the archives rather than just deleting it altogether. That's why even the dumbest of dumb posts are kept in "Posts You Shouldn't Make". The only posts that ever get completely deleted are spam posts. We've migrated to a new host since the database overflow that caused the forums to stop working. Theoretically, our storage space is now "unlimited" so we don't have to worry about keeping legitimate data.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Re: Forum suggestion

Post by N64vSNES »

dandymcgee wrote: We prefer to keep it in the archives rather than just deleting it altogether. That's why even the dumbest of dumb posts are kept in "Posts You Shouldn't Make". The only posts that ever get completely deleted are spam posts. We've migrated to a new host since the database overflow that caused the forums to stop working. Theoretically, our storage space is now "unlimited" so we don't have to worry about keeping legitimate data.
Actually, that's one of the reasons I decided to suggest such a thing (the database overflow).
Fair enough though, just thought it was worth mentioning.