What influenced you to become a geek/nerd?

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

THe Floating Brain
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: RTS possible Third Person shooter engine.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Wii, Xbox 360, GAME CUBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Python 3, C#

Re: What influenced you to become a geek/nerd?

Post by THe Floating Brain »

My father introduced me to Basic Physics (which surprisingly I still use some of the knowledge he taught me in high - school today XD), and basic electrical circuitry at a young age (somewhere between 6 and 8), he even got me interested in computers they are three topics I have always loved! My grandfather did the same except with astronomy, I used to try to make telescopes out of cardboard tubes and anything I could find that could magnify, until my parents bought me my first telescope around age 9. I got my first soldering iron (cold-heat cuz I was a youngster ;-) ) at age 11, I used to use it a lot for modifying my electric trains. Around the same age I was introduced to video games my favorite (and still is to this day) was Star Fox Assault (I know an easy game). Although at first around age 9 I was playing on my dad's old Intellivision systems. Around age 12 I wanted to make a game as something cool I would do in life (its on my checklist of "Cool stuff I want to do in life" :-) ) and a that age I began learning programming and I finished learning C++ when I was about 14. From then on I have worked on various side projects and a game engine which I have recently finished. Additionally I have been in my schools robotics program since kindergarten. All this is how I became influenced to become a nerd (AND PROUD OF IT !! :-D )
"Why did we say we were going to say we were going to change the world tomorrow yesterday? Maybe you can." - Myself

ImageImage
Skomakar'n
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Skomakar'n »

I haven't had that much luck with the sciences right up from childhood. I've had to slip into these interests on my own. I guess it first started out with me doing some HTML at the age of 11 using instructions given to my father from his work and then it went on to there. I can only wait and see where this journey takes me further.
Anickyan
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Anickyan »

It started when I was 12. I was playing a game called Minecraft, and got onto a game-server called RDF(Redstone Development Foundation). This was a great community, with alot of people building CPU's, ALU's, logic gates and all kinds of crazy circuits. Of course, with a bunch of "engineers", there comes some programmers, and I got in touch with one of them.

They got me into programming, and I eventually became very comfortable with the Java language. Later I got interested in other languages, especially Lua and PHP, HTML and CSS for some simple web design.

In the start I was making simple simple applications, like some fake library databases, where you could borrow books, register and much, much more. Of course it was all imaginary. Then I got interested in games. And more important: developing games! Lately that is all I have been doing, except for some failed website designs. I recently got into C++ development, and I am now thinking about why I did not just start with this, as I like it the most out of all the different languages I have been working with.

I am currently learning SDL, and just made a Pong clone the last three days.

I was looking for some game development tutorials on YouTube, when I stumbled upon the Adventures in Game Development series, and I absolutely LOVE it! It motivate me to get going, and not just starting new projects to see them in the trash, abandoned just a couple of days after I started. Thanks!

I am really looking forward to the future, what technology will look like, and the innovation in games. Let's see how far we can get before I get too old(I am 13 now, so there is alot of time).

- Anickyan
101MUDman101
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Elemental Dawn (2D RPG)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++, Lua, Perl

Post by 101MUDman101 »

Pretty every female celebrity from 2000 onwards. God the terrible life they must live... Ugghh
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.

Damn Right.

Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/101MUDman101
qpHalcy0n
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by qpHalcy0n »

^ this code is bad. :]
101MUDman101
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Elemental Dawn (2D RPG)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++, Lua, Perl

Post by 101MUDman101 »

You are wrong :lol: It gives me an eternal life and an ever changing intelligence and social life. As intelligence reaches the highest possible number it becomes the smallest negative number :lol:
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.

Damn Right.

Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/101MUDman101