Networking advice

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

C_Win
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Networking advice

Post by C_Win »

I was wondering whether you could give me some pointers on an issue I've been having.

I've got a network set up so each node or workstation is connected to the main server which deals with the internet for each node. (Pretty common).

With the server being the one that has access to the router, this means it could also access something that isn't on the network such as a wireless laptop.

Something like this:
Me---->Network----->Server---->Router---->Wireless devices

So what I'm asking is, do you think there is a way for the nodes/workstations on the network to access the wireless devices with the router.

Can the server share the router as a hardware device rather than just have the server utilize it?

Thanks in advanced.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: Networking advice

Post by dandymcgee »

C_Win wrote:I was wondering whether you could give me some pointers on an issue I've been having.

I've got a network set up so each node or workstation is connected to the main server which deals with the internet for each node. (Pretty common).

With the server being the one that has access to the router, this means it could also access something that isn't on the network such as a wireless laptop.

Something like this:

So what I'm asking is, do you think there is a way for the nodes/workstations on the network to access the wireless devices with the router.

Can the server share the router as a hardware device rather than just have the server utilize it?

Thanks in advanced.
Have you tried simply pinging the address of the wireless device from one of the workstations? I see no reason why the server wouldn't forward that to the router, and in the turn the router forward it to the wireless device in question. More specifically, what type of "access" are you looking for?
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
C_Win
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by C_Win »

dandymcgee wrote:
C_Win wrote:I was wondering whether you could give me some pointers on an issue I've been having.

Something like this:

Thanks in advanced.
Have you tried simply pinging the address of the wireless device from one of the workstations? I see no reason why the server wouldn't forward that to the router, and in the turn the router forward it to the wireless device in question. More specifically, what type of "access" are you looking for?
Thanks for the reply!
I did try pinging the address, but it always returns "Could not find host". (Windows XP of course)

As for the type of access, all I want is to browse shared files and folders.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

C_Win wrote: Thanks for the reply!
I did try pinging the address, but it always returns "Could not find host". (Windows XP of course)

As for the type of access, all I want is to browse shared files and folders.
Hmm, do you have file sharing enabled on the target machine? Try tracert (trace route) to the IP from command prompt and see where the roadblock is.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
C_Win
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by C_Win »

Thanks again. Sharing is enabled, but tracert just returns "Unable to resolve target system name" :|
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

C_Win wrote:Thanks again. Sharing is enabled, but tracert just returns "Unable to resolve target system name" :|
Even when using the machine's IP? That seems strange. Can the other machine connect to / ping / see this machine?