Presque, Deja, and Jamais Vu (A short study)

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Octopia
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1-3, Genesis, Dreamcast, SNES, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++,Java,Py,LUA,XML
Location: C:\\United States of America\Utah\West Valley City\Neighborhood\House\Computer Desk

Presque, Deja, and Jamais Vu (A short study)

Post by MadPumpkin »

B. L. Schwartz who studied TOTs (English acronym meaning Tip of the Tongue) found that 45 out of 51 different languages, all had some metaphor or idioms referring to throat, mouth or tongue that had similar meaning to the English idiom "Tip of the tongue".This obviously means that all cultures and languages, meaning people both educated and not, people both young and old (official studies have not been made on children, but have on young adults) have all had this strange feeling happen to them. I find this to be of no surprise. It seems closely related to Deja Vu and Jamais Vu as far as what you feel in your head, or your neurological phenomenon.

I experience true deja vu about once a week, which is more often than most studied cases, that did not have any form of dementia or neurological disorder/disease. I experience jamais vu far less often, and can only properly recall 3-5 times ever. But I get TOTs or "presque vu" almost daily, it usually happens when I'm writing in English class or doing any sort of writing. I've been reading a lot about this for a long time now. Tons of studies and many different websites about each one. This is just a random few paragraphs I'd already typed up about some things in very shortened summary that I've learned.
While Jesus equipped with angels, the Devil's equipped with cops
For God so loved the world that he blessed the thugs with rock
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: Presque, Deja, and Jamais Vu (A short study)

Post by dandymcgee »

I find these things quite interesting as well. I've definitely experienced at least one extreme case of presque vu. When I was in high school gym class someone had mentioned their threshold for pain and I was trying to think of a very particular word to describe this. I literally felt mentally exhausted at times during the two weeks or so that it took me to remember the word. One day, during class, I spontaneously shouted "tolerance" and gave an immense sigh of relief while all of my classmates looked at me like "What the hell?" Soon after I discovered perhaps the most genius of all inventions, that is the thesaurus. Never again will I waste so much brain power on recalling a single word.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Octopia
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1-3, Genesis, Dreamcast, SNES, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++,Java,Py,LUA,XML
Location: C:\\United States of America\Utah\West Valley City\Neighborhood\House\Computer Desk

Re: Presque, Deja, and Jamais Vu (A short study)

Post by MadPumpkin »

I've been known to steal peoples smart phones just to look up presque vu words on google and Thesaurus.com :D. As I said, these all happen semi often to me.
While Jesus equipped with angels, the Devil's equipped with cops
For God so loved the world that he blessed the thugs with rock