Windows 7 BSOD: Driver IRQL, System Service Exception..

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

OliverNordbjerg
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Windows 7 BSOD: Driver IRQL, System Service Exception..

Post by OliverNordbjerg »

Hey all.

My computer is about a year old now, and since I bought it I have been recieving BSODs of different types. As soon as I saw it, I send it back to the manufacturer, of course. They replaced the motherboard, but nothing really happened. The BSODs have actually become more frequent.

I assume it is not a hardware issue, since my computer runs on Ubuntu with no problems, but tends to crash on Windows 7. I was going to do a fresh install of the Operating System, but appearantly they took my Windows CD, and I have no option to reinstall, so what to do from here? The errors I am recieving are DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION.

System specifications
Windows 7, 64-bit
Gigabyte GA-990XA AM3+ motherboard
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 3.20GHz
Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3-1600 DualChannel RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6970

It is pretty sad, because it is an otherwise great computer, and I paid about 10 000 DKK for it, which translates to around 1 800 USD.

Thanks in advantage, to anyone who might help me fix it :)
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Windows 7 BSOD: Driver IRQL, System Service Exception..

Post by Falco Girgis »

Well, I can at least say with certainty that one of your drivers is fucked...

I suppose that if you posted more (like the addresses), you could check to see which drivers have which interrupt requests at which addresses and at least see which one in particular it is...
OliverNordbjerg
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

2 minutes ago I also received a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA BSOD. I don't have the adresses, but I could post the minidumps, if that could help.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

OliverNordbjerg wrote:2 minutes ago I also received a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA BSOD. I don't have the adresses, but I could post the minidumps, if that could help.
Once again, sounds like a rogue driver.
OliverNordbjerg
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

GyroVorbis wrote:
OliverNordbjerg wrote:2 minutes ago I also received a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA BSOD. I don't have the adresses, but I could post the minidumps, if that could help.
Once again, sounds like a rogue driver.
You are probably right. I will see what I can find out when I get back from school, it's 07:06 CET.
Albionremain
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by Albionremain »

What would really be helpful is the "Technical Information" the error gives you. While the "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" is the error, the "Technical Information" is the service/driver/address reference that caused it to happen. More often than not you can simply google the 0x000000001d error and it will tell you what hardware/software conflicts there are.

From my experience your BSOD is usually corruption of built-in VGA drivers or external drivers for a dedicated GPU. If you can run an OS repair from an install disk that may fix it, or if you can boot into safe mode, blow out any ATI/nVidia drivers and install the latest as an Administrator you should be able to produce a solution.
"Oh, it works... just not the way anyone wants or expects it to."
szdarkhack
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by szdarkhack »

That's one epic BSOD :lol:
Soganatsu
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Rise Against Zia - Online
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Playstation
Programming Language of Choice: C++, vb.NET

Post by Soganatsu »

wow I almost had an unintelligent moment when I saw that mock-up BSOD. First thought that came to mind was, "How did he get a screenshot of that?" Then I slapped myself for asking that question..
Haven't done anything with it yet but..> http://www.soganatsustudios.com/
OliverNordbjerg
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Hello.

I am really sorry I haven't returned to you before now, but I went to my girlfriends house in the weekend, she lives 1 hour away from me, so I haven't been able to get online. I usually write down the Techinal Information, but my computer is fairly fast, and lately I have around 2-3 seconds to write down all of the info before it restarts. Can I cause a delay of sorts?
Albionremain wrote:What would really be helpful is the "Technical Information" the error gives you. While the "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" is the error, the "Technical Information" is the service/driver/address reference that caused it to happen. More often than not you can simply google the 0x000000001d error and it will tell you what hardware/software conflicts there are.

From my experience your BSOD is usually corruption of built-in VGA drivers or external drivers for a dedicated GPU. If you can run an OS repair from an install disk that may fix it, or if you can boot into safe mode, blow out any ATI/nVidia drivers and install the latest as an Administrator you should be able to produce a solution.
Albionremain
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by Albionremain »

Soganatsu wrote:wow I almost had an unintelligent moment when I saw that mock-up BSOD. First thought that came to mind was, "How did he get a screenshot of that?" Then I slapped myself for asking that question..
Don't be so hard on yourself. I'll admit it took me a bit of time to go out of my way to recreate the issue on my home machine so I could get a screenshot this perfect, but I just care that much. 8-)
Albionremain
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by Albionremain »

OliverNordbjerg wrote:Hello.

I am really sorry I haven't returned to you before now, but I went to my girlfriends house in the weekend, she lives 1 hour away from me, so I haven't been able to get online. I usually write down the Techinal Information, but my computer is fairly fast, and lately I have around 2-3 seconds to write down all of the info before it restarts. Can I cause a delay of sorts?
Albionremain wrote:What would really be helpful is the "Technical Information" the error gives you. While the "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" is the error, the "Technical Information" is the service/driver/address reference that caused it to happen. More often than not you can simply google the 0x000000001d error and it will tell you what hardware/software conflicts there are.

You can't delay it, technically. The only way I know to make it 'pause' so you can see what it says is to disable automatic reboot on system failure. If you hit F8/F10/Del depending on your BIOS/OS during POST should see the normal options of booting into safemode and sometimes the option to "Disable automatic reboot on sys failure". Or if that isn't an option you can always try to take a picture with your phone or camera if you can't write it down fast enough. Only the first 0x0000000D1 or w/e is important, the stuff in brackets is usually too system specific to Google with decent results.
OliverNordbjerg
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Albionremain wrote:
OliverNordbjerg wrote:Hello.

You can't delay it, technically. The only way I know to make it 'pause' so you can see what it says is to disable automatic reboot on system failure. If you hit F8/F10/Del depending on your BIOS/OS during POST should see the normal options of booting into safemode and sometimes the option to "Disable automatic reboot on sys failure". Or if that isn't an option you can always try to take a picture with your phone or camera if you can't write it down fast enough. Only the first 0x0000000D1 or w/e is important, the stuff in brackets is usually too system specific to Google with decent results.
Oh, okay. I will try that as soon as I can boot into Windows, I get these BSODs from time to time when I try to boot into Windows.
OliverNordbjerg
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Well, just my luck. I can't boot into Windows anymore, I get an instans BSOD and the system restore utility fails. I am in safe mode right now (with network) and last known configuration didn't work either. The F8 and disable restart on system failure didn't work, so I have no BSOD error codes, but the minidumps for all of my crashes can be found here.

I hope someone can help me :(