Dennis Ritchie is Dead

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Dennis Ritchie is Dead

Post by LeonBlade »

dr-snipe wrote:Yeah that guy on the right is a complete dick. He obviously has no idea of how important he was even though the guy on the left quite clearly explained it. Ignorance is bliss :nono:
Ignorance is piss. ;)
dmr will cause a null pointer exception on his life.
There's no place like ~/
ismetteren
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by ismetteren »

LeonBlade wrote:
short wrote:
Tom_leonardsson wrote:he was mentiod on insidegaming http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q52B8ez3dog
The human being on the right is a waste of the carbon he is made of.
I agree, what a complete dick he doesn't even care what so ever. I don't think he realizes how important this man is. If you don't fucking who who he is, don't sit there and act like a complete douche about it.
Come on... It's a show about games, not programming. All technology in this world is built upon other technology. I know that i personally enjoy the benefits of many ingenious inventions that i just take for granted. I have no idea who invented the tetanus vaccine, (Well, now I have since i looked it up when i translated the word from Danish anyway, apparently it was a guy named Emil von Behring) and if he still were alive and died today, I probably wouldn't notice, and if I did, i probably wouldn't think much about it.

I think that even mentioning it on a game show, shows respect.

Also, I would presume that the show is scripted, so that one of the guys ask questions and the other guy answers them, to make the dialog more interesting.
Image ImageImage Image
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by LeonBlade »

ismetteren wrote:Come on... It's a show about games, not programming. All technology in this world is built upon other technology. I know that i personally enjoy the benefits of many ingenious inventions that i just take for granted. I have no idea who invented the tetanus vaccine, (Well, now I have since i looked it up when i translated the word from Danish anyway, apparently it was a guy named Emil von Behring) and if he still were alive and died today, I probably wouldn't notice, and if I did, i probably wouldn't think much about it.

I think that even mentioning it on a game show, shows respect.

Also, I would presume that the show is scripted, so that one of the guys ask questions and the other guy answers them, to make the dialog more interesting.
He still could have showed respect though, the way he handled it was really disrespectful. He just froze didn't know what to say and said really uneasily "you can read more about that on our website?", when in reality it wasn't there what so ever. He could have at least said something like "A good man, rest in peace" and moved on or something. At least try to be fucking polite about it.
There's no place like ~/
ismetteren
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by ismetteren »

LeonBlade wrote: He still could have showed respect though, the way he handled it was really disrespectful. He just froze didn't know what to say and said really uneasily "you can read more about that on our website?", when in reality it wasn't there what so ever. He could have at least said something like "A good man, rest in peace" and moved on or something. At least try to be fucking polite about it.
I watched it again, and i see your point. The tone of his voice and facial expression seem to say "boring, lets move on". "Rest in peace, lets move on" would have been more appropriate.
Image ImageImage Image
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Stereotypical ignorant gaming douche who cares only for the product and not the great minds, math, science, or engineering behind them. Sure, it's a "gaming" video, but the attitude of douche extraordinaire on the right was condescending towards ANYBODY'S death, let alone the fucking father of C...
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64
Programming Language of Choice: C++, PHP

Post by superLED »

ismetteren wrote:I probably wouldn't notice, and if I did, i probably wouldn't think much about it.
Me either, but if I was on a show, and it was mention, I wouldn't just be like "whatever" in front of 1000 viewers who might love this person.
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by LeonBlade »

GyroVorbis wrote:Stereotypical ignorant gaming douche who cares only for the product and not the great minds, math, science, or engineering behind them. Sure, it's a "gaming" video, but the attitude of douche extraordinaire on the right was condescending towards ANYBODY'S death, let alone the fucking father of C...
My thoughts exactly.
There's no place like ~/