Advice on upgrading a computer

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

DTKilb
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Advice on upgrading a computer

Post by DTKilb »

I currently have a Gateway GT5662 Desktop computer, and I have decided to upgrade it into a gaming computer. I am buying a new video card and power supply this weekend, and I am also buying myself a new processor as a christmas gift during December :P.

The video card I am looking at is the Radeon 6850 HD (Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814102908)

I have decided to upgrade my video card and Power Supply before Christmas. But, I want to purchase the right Power Supply that I can use without worrying about overheating, etc. using the video card that I am deciding to purchase, and a processor such as this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819103727

So what would be a recommended power supply wattage or brand that I should aim for?

Also, will I have to look for any compatibility with other hardware of the computer such as the motherboard when buying a new video card, processor, or power supply?
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Re: Advice on upgrading a computer

Post by k1net1k »

im not even going to try and work out what motherboard is in that box. or what one you need to run the cpu you linked.
just make sure you get the right socket/processor. is it socket am3 or am2+ ?
but for your power supply, look at a 450watt if you can. some of these bigger graphics cards suck a bit of power (and have their own extra power connectors)
johnsonevan
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: Chef

Post by johnsonevan »

Your motherboard seems to have a socket AM2+ which would not work with the AM3 processor you linked. Find another AM2+.

For any gaming build I'd recommend 500W minimum for the power supply. The Earthwatts is probably still the standard in that range (been a long time since I've had anything less than 750W, but the Earthwatts 500 was the standard years ago and still seems to be).

Now, my question is, is there any reason you can't just get a little more money and make a full custom build? You're going to have a terrible locked motherboard, and possibly shoddy RAM (because companies like Gateway use low-quality parts when they can to cut costs), all within a case that will undoubtedly have poor cooling. If you follow your current plan, your parts will run hot, you won't be able to overclock anything, and you won't be as able to continue upgrading over time. Starting from scratch, if possible, is the best course of action (it would also let you go Intel, which is the better route :D).
mattheweston
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Breakout clone, Unnamed 2D RPG
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, XBOX360
Programming Language of Choice: C#

Post by mattheweston »

I agree. You definately want to keep your system cool. I had an old sempron 3100 and it averaged 110F with three fans. I have an intel core 2 i3 now and with just the oem fan and no overclocking I'm sitting at 92F. In general AMD processors run hotter. But in today's systems you not only have to worry about heat from the processor but also heat from a graphics card as well. As far as power supply goes. I would say go with 500 minimum and if you can splurge go 750. It would be better to get TOO much power than not enough.
DTKilb
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by DTKilb »

johnsonevan wrote:Your motherboard seems to have a socket AM2+ which would not work with the AM3 processor you linked. Find another AM2+.

For any gaming build I'd recommend 500W minimum for the power supply. The Earthwatts is probably still the standard in that range (been a long time since I've had anything less than 750W, but the Earthwatts 500 was the standard years ago and still seems to be).

Now, my question is, is there any reason you can't just get a little more money and make a full custom build? You're going to have a terrible locked motherboard, and possibly shoddy RAM (because companies like Gateway use low-quality parts when they can to cut costs), all within a case that will undoubtedly have poor cooling. If you follow your current plan, your parts will run hot, you won't be able to overclock anything, and you won't be as able to continue upgrading over time. Starting from scratch, if possible, is the best course of action (it would also let you go Intel, which is the better route :D).
Thank you for the advice, I have just recently decided on replacing majority of the parts on my PC, rather than starting from scratch. I have another computer with a dead CPU that has a few good salvageable parts, even some extra RAM. Would I be going for a better approach if I used that RAM, bought some more/better cooling hardware, and save up for a new motherboard?
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by k1net1k »

if i was you, i would be saving up for motherboard/ram/cpu/video/power supply
replace the whole lot is going to be better than replacing half of it.
and i certainly would upgrade the cpu last if you go down that path (you will get more bang for buck with video or ram)