College/University Experience

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Re: College/University Experience

Post by avansc »

teamtwentythree wrote:What I learned:
  • 1- It is not free expression time, get your parroting ready
    2 - Filler courses suck
    3 - Used books > New books (Money)
    4 - Summer courses can be cheaper (In state for out of state folks)
    5 - Pick a good minor that complements your major (Helps address filler courses, would suggest a business course for CS folks)
    6 - You can drop courses, no stigma (If it sucks pull the chute)
    7 - Langague classes are ridiculous work load, unless you love Spanish cut your losses
    8 - Team projects still suck
    9 - People are still lazy
    10 - Its not greener on the other side (I transferred schools, same shit different pile)
    11 - You get out what you put in
    12 - The paper at the end is your foot in the door, it has almost no bearing on your success after you are inside
Disclaimer: This IMO, may not apply to you/your major.
like this list, what I would add is.

13 - Dont think your major is better than any other, especially another engineering major. Engineering is one big symbiosis if there ever was one. And dont listen or get discouraged by other people that take this stance, its rampant especially in ECE.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

^ Guilty. :mrgreen:
johnsonevan
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: Chef

Post by johnsonevan »

Also, if you get a class/professor that is easy, don't take it for granted. Attend class, do required work, etc. For example, I went into my Calc II class knowing most everything that would be taught, so I skipped class more often than I ever should have. This worked fine on the first few tests (A's), but near the end there were little things on each test that I didn't know and even though I started attending classes near the end, I ended up with an A- for the course. Not a huge loss, but when there were other classes that I actually needed to try in the A would have helped my GPA a bit.
xx6heartless6xx
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by xx6heartless6xx »

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have another question on which calculator I should get for college. I am looking at getting the TI-89 or the 89 Titanium? The Titanium does cost more but I guess it comes with a usb port if u wanna code some of your programs on it. Which ones have you guys used?
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

xx6heartless6xx wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone. I have another question on which calculator I should get for college. I am looking at getting the TI-89 or the 89 Titanium? The Titanium does cost more but I guess it comes with a usb port if u wanna code some of your programs on it. Which ones have you guys used?
I have a TI-84 Silver. I does far more than I'll ever need it for. If you're getting in heavy calculus or other math / engineering courses you may want a better one, but mine has worked fine for Calc 1 & 2, Linear Algebra, Discrete Math 1 & 2. It has a USB port, I find it hard to believe the TI-89 doesn't.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
xx6heartless6xx
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

dandymcgee wrote:
xx6heartless6xx wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone. I have another question on which calculator I should get for college. I am looking at getting the TI-89 or the 89 Titanium? The Titanium does cost more but I guess it comes with a usb port if u wanna code some of your programs on it. Which ones have you guys used?
I have a TI-84 Silver. I does far more than I'll ever need it for. If you're getting in heavy calculus or other math / engineering courses you may want a better one, but mine has worked fine for Calc 1 & 2, Linear Algebra, Discrete Math 1 & 2. It has a USB port, I find it hard to believe the TI-89 doesn't.
I'll look around for a cheap one then, thanks for the input.
xx6heartless6xx
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

I know college is a lot of work but I also wanna have some time to work on devving while the school is going on but I don't wanna fall behind in my classes. Did you guys find time to work on your personal projects while in school and if so how?
short
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: c++, c
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, PS2, SNES, SNES, PC NES
Programming Language of Choice: c, c++

Post by short »

Ignoring the girlfriend, family, friends. I partially kid, but seriously it does take away from your free time if you try and juggle a full class load, a job, and your own projects, and not fall behind in your classes. It's possible though
My github repository contains the project I am currently working on,
link: https://github.com/bjadamson