Starting on electrical projects

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: cocos2d-x project
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, Sega Megadrive, XBox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Starting on electrical projects

Post by MrDeathNote »

GyroVorbis wrote:This guy is a badass.
God damn right he is, that's freaking awesome! I wouldn't mind having a bash at making a console myself when I get the time.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeathNote1988

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by k1net1k »

anyone got a circuit diagram from woz's first computer when apple was 1 computer in a garage. i would love to make one of those
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

xx6heartless6xx wrote:
dandymcgee wrote:So campus safety decided to reprogram my door code while I was at work today.. got back and had to climb in through the window to get into my own room. I wired up a toggle switch to the override inside the back of the keypad and stuck it where it's not visible but just reachable under the door. Now I just push a button and my door opens regardless of what keycode is programmed into it. ;)

I'd reset it to my own code again, but I'm leaving in a week and have no way of knowing the current code to fix it before I leave.
Sweet stuff. How the hell'd you guys learn to do cool stuff like this?
I took it apart out of curiosity. My roommate decided he was gonna unplug the battery for some reason, lol. When we plugged it back in our code didn't work anymore but 12345 did. So I googled the model number and found the manufacturer's owner's manual and hilarity ensued.
k1net1k wrote:anyone got a circuit diagram from woz's first computer when apple was 1 computer in a garage. i would love to make one of those
That would be freakin awesome.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
xx6heartless6xx
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by xx6heartless6xx »

I have a quick question about breadboards. I didnt wanna start a whole new topic so here it is. I am trying to do this arduino tutorial but I think the breadboard I have now will not work for it. Here is a picture of the tutorial I am trying to do:
arduino.png
arduino.png (40.16 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
And here is the breadboard I have:
my breadboard.jpg
my breadboard.jpg (72.63 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
As you can see the tutorial breadboard has two strips on each outer sides ( I think they're called bus strips ) while mine only has one. Should I go out and buy a new breadboard or can I somehow make this work?
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES

Post by Falco Girgis »

Dude, you totally don't need to buy a new one. Even if you didn't have a single rail, you could still make it work.

They're commonly used for ground/VCC inputs. If you notice the diagram, the +5V and the GND pins are both going to the bottom rails. Then both of the bottom rails are being wired to the top two rails. It's completely redundant. They're only doing that, so that you can easily access the GND/VCC from either the top or bottom of the breadboard.
xx6heartless6xx
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

GyroVorbis wrote:Dude, you totally don't need to buy a new one. Even if you didn't have a single rail, you could still make it work.

They're commonly used for ground/VCC inputs. If you notice the diagram, the +5V and the GND pins are both going to the bottom rails. Then both of the bottom rails are being wired to the top two rails. It's completely redundant. They're only doing that, so that you can easily access the GND/VCC from either the top or bottom of the breadboard.
That's good to know, I'll get back to it. Appreciate the help falco
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

No prob. Welcome to the wonderful world of electronics... post if you need anything else. We don't have enough of this kind of shit going happening on these forums.
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64
Programming Language of Choice: C++, PHP

Post by superLED »

I've made some cool stuff with my Arduino. Made a tiny game on a 8x8 LED screen once. Had to tear that apart for another project >_<

Really wanna try making something with it again, sometime soon.
xx6heartless6xx
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

GyroVorbis wrote:No prob. Welcome to the wonderful world of electronics... post if you need anything else. We don't have enough of this kind of shit going happening on these forums.
Thanks, I have a feeling I'm gonna be asking A LOT more questions. Electronics are fun, but hard too. If it'd be appropriate, you guys should definitely add a new section to the forums.
superLED wrote:I've made some cool stuff with my Arduino. Made a tiny game on a 8x8 LED screen once. Had to tear that apart for another project >_<

Really wanna try making something with it again, sometime soon.
You should post pics if you had any. I'd love to see it. Also if anyone else has pics or wants to share what they've worked on, I'd love to hear about it.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

xx6heartless6xx wrote:If it'd be appropriate, you guys should definitely add a new section to the forums.
I'll leave that up to Falco to decide, but for now Programming Discussion suits the topic well enough.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

As much as I don't think breadboarding has anything to do with programming, we can't just open up an entire new forum category for all two of us who do this kind of stuff... I do hope that some day when we introduce more of this into our videos and feature more of it on the site, we'll have enough people interested to make a dedicated forum.
xx6heartless6xx
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

GyroVorbis wrote:As much as I don't think breadboarding has anything to do with programming, we can't just open up an entire new forum category for all two of us who do this kind of stuff... I do hope that some day when we introduce more of this into our videos and feature more of it on the site, we'll have enough people interested to make a dedicated forum.
Alright that sounds fair enough.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

GyroVorbis wrote:As much as I don't think breadboarding has anything to do with programming, we can't just open up an entire new forum category for all two of us who do this kind of stuff... I do hope that some day when we introduce more of this into our videos and feature more of it on the site, we'll have enough people interested to make a dedicated forum.
I've been wanting to get into that stuff as well... you guys open up that forum and I'll get to buyin some supplies lol
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by k1net1k »

wow, i didnt know you guys knew about arduino :)
i have a side project writing and interface for a home automation system. essentially equivalent to Z-Wave. (except we are selling to clients for half the price)

Started a new thread for arduino viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6265