So... guess who is a software engineer?

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

Fanatic
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, PC, SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: So... guess who is a software engineer?

Post by Fanatic »

GyroVorbis wrote:Thanks everyone. I'm so stoked. Sooooo damn ready to never do schoolwork again and get on with real development.
Fanatic wrote:Nice one, Im amazed that you havent been hired by a big corporation yet.
That's exactly where I DON'T want to work. I interviewed with several.

EDIT: It was an 8-hour all-day interview (plus super fancy, expensive free lunch) for both Kendall and myself. Lots of low-level C vs C++ questions and lots of object oriented design questions. Oh, and lots of threading questions.
Ohh right, You had me at ' Free Lunch '. :D

dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Van-B wrote:Congrats to you both!

Just hope it leaves you enough free time and energy to keep developing ES. Personally, I often can't wait to get out of the office and onto my own projects - your own projects will seem so much more fun than what your being paid to work on :D.
You're lucky to even feel that. When I get home the last thing I want to do after debugging all day long is start debugging my own project. I just want to watch TV or go to sleep, haha.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

dandymcgee wrote:
Van-B wrote:Congrats to you both!

Just hope it leaves you enough free time and energy to keep developing ES. Personally, I often can't wait to get out of the office and onto my own projects - your own projects will seem so much more fun than what your being paid to work on :D.
You're lucky to even feel that. When I get home the last thing I want to do after debugging all day long is start debugging my own project. I just want to watch TV or go to sleep, haha.
After the last semester of being brutally raped by senior design projects, graduate projects, and other classes, a work-week is absolutely nothing in comparison. This is taking it easy for me...
N64vSNES wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:I start making the big bucks Monday. Kendall and I both got hired by ADTRAN, a local telecommunications company writing embedded software on PPC/MIPS architectures.

:) :) :)
Congrats dude, but I fail to see how you can afford that TV without already making big bucks.

You're correct to think I'm never going t shut the fuck up about that TV ;)
Let me juuuuust say that I can buy multiple of those with a single paycheck.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

GyroVorbis wrote:
N64vSNES wrote: Congrats dude, but I fail to see how you can afford that TV without already making big bucks.

You're correct to think I'm never going t shut the fuck up about that TV ;)
Let me juuuuust say that I can buy multiple of those with a single paycheck.
Hey, me too! ..Did I mention I get paid monthly? :P
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

dandymcgee wrote: Hey, me too! ..Did I mention I get paid monthly? :P
Oh I hate jobs that only pay monthly... do you get the option to get a percentage of said check tax free the first two weeks into the month? The place I work does that fortunately, I think it's 30% of what the monthly check would be.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
dr-snipe
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: C++, Java, PHP

Post by dr-snipe »

Congrats Falco! :)

I actually start my first job (not a programming one) on monday as well. Good luck!
TheBuzzSaw
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Paroxysm
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by TheBuzzSaw »

I have a few student loans biting me face off each month. Once those are gone, I'll probably build myself a new computer. :P

Being a well-paid engineer rocks. ^_^
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

TheBuzzSaw wrote:I have a few student loans biting me face off each month. Once those are gone, I'll probably build myself a new computer. :P

Unfortunately I have some loans to pay off as well... fortunately my girlfriend makes as much as me, so...

How are you handling your 401k?
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

GyroVorbis wrote:
TheBuzzSaw wrote:I have a few student loans biting me face off each month. Once those are gone, I'll probably build myself a new computer. :P

Unfortunately I have some loans to pay off as well... fortunately my girlfriend makes as much as me, so...

You would be a fool not to maximize your 401k to what your company offers to match. usually this is between 4 and 6 percent.

You will notice that say you are making $2500 after taxes you would get something like $1800, if you put away 6% percent of your salary and your company matches that, you will be effectively saving 12 percent of 2500, so 300 bux, and you will notice that you are still getting about $1800 after taxes(maybe like 5 bux less) on your paycheck, so essentially that is 300 bucks that is just given to you.

Anyways, max your 401k. If you want to retire, or at least not HAVE to work. save about 25% percent of your salary from day 1, and you'll retire a millionaire by 50.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

Save 10% of every paycheck right into a savings account via direct deposit as an 'oh shit' fund... forget it exists until you need it for something big.

Speaking of which, how was yours and Kendall's first week?
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
teamtwentythree
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by teamtwentythree »

Congrats!

Ditto on 401k, max that shit. Also brings you adjusted income down for taxes which has other benefits (Eligibility for deductions/credits).
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

I'm only putting in what the company matches... I'm not putting a quarter of my paycheck in that bitch. ;)

But the first week was fucking awesome. Got a brand new i7 PC with 12 gigs of RAM. Did a whole bunch of training, but I finally got to get my hands dirty on Friday. My first assignment was to debug a fucked flash RAM module. First we sent it back to the electrical guys, because it didn't work. Then they sent it back because it did work. Then I was assigned to prove that it wasn't a software error.

I found out that our software was choking on a cock, because one of the pins was stuck on logic high. Needless to say, we shipped it back to hardware. :)
short
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: c++, c
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, PS2, SNES, SNES, PC NES
Programming Language of Choice: c, c++

Post by short »

Needless to say, we shipped it back to hardware.
Ah something I've always wondered, how great the separation between hardware and software in the corporate realm is.
My github repository contains the project I am currently working on,
link: https://github.com/bjadamson
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by k1net1k »

gyrovorbis i wonder how many of your fellow employees (or bosses) read this forum

and have they seen your video's ?
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

short wrote:
Needless to say, we shipped it back to hardware.
Ah something I've always wondered, how great the separation between hardware and software in the corporate realm is.
It's actually not that big. We drop to a pretty damn low level when shit breaks (oscilloscopes) before shipping it back. That's why my group is all computer and electrical engineers with only one computer scientist.
k1net1k wrote:and have they seen your video's ?
I'm sure they have probably stumbled upon it. I honestly doubt they're lurking on the forums, though. ;)