How Long...

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

Odifma
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

How Long...

Post by Odifma »

How long did it take to learn C++? a year, few months, weeks? haha i know your always learning C++ but i mean how long until you started doing some decent coding with it?
JesseGuarascia
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Re: How Long...

Post by JesseGuarascia »

When it comes to actually "learning" C++, there isn't much TO learn. Just things like syntax. What you actually end up learning, are good practices for programming.

I myself have been learning OOP related things like design and structures. It took me 2 years to learn most of what seems necessary of C++. Although, when I was learning (or am learning) OOP based things, I do it in Java and C#. The reason being how much higher level they are. When it comes to learning how to program, I will rarely suggest that someone learn it using C++. It's not that the language is really that hard, it's that there are a lot of safety issues like memory collection and pointers and stuff. Without a full understanding of them, it's hard to know when and how to safely use them.

In terms of actually writing half decent programs/games, it took me 7 years on/off of programming in different languages or using engines. It's not a simple process; no matter how good you think you are, other people won't agree. You just have to keep on learning. But even once you've learned "all there is of C++", there's always something bigger than what you already know that you'll have to learn. Boost, Lua, DLL and Static Library Creation, etc. You will always be learning, and what you consider to be decent C++ programs, is very rarely going to considered decent by others without a lot of practice.
-- Jesse Guarascia

I like C/++, SDL, SFML, OpenGL and Lua. If you don't like those, then gtfo my sig pl0x (jk trollololololol)
Odifma
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Re: How Long...

Post by Odifma »

awesome answer. thanks :) im just trying to get a feel for the average of most people learning C++ / game development stuff. and i aggree, c++ isnt exactly hard, its just that theres tons to remember which makes it "hard". Im TRYING to get into game development ATM and im "teaching" myself C++. im only a month into it and still pretty lost haha