Official "Hello, World! (I'm new!)" thread

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

Gsingh123
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Re: Introduction

Post by Gsingh123 »

Hello to all Friends of this community..

I am Gurkirat Singh and i joined this forum today to talk on the different topics..
James Evesque
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Low Level Runtime in C99 for shared code.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, DMG, GBC, GENISIS, PSX, XBOX
Programming Language of Choice: ASM, C, C++, Lua

Re: Official "Hello, World! (I'm new!)" thread

Post by James Evesque »

Hello all, I thought I would place my official hello here. I am a C/C++/C# Programmer and Lua scripter, and though I have followed AiGD way before it had even a website, I never managed to make an account on the forums. Here is my post that sparked my registration: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8723&start=15#p87879(AiGD CH 21)
418 |
419 | #ifndef __cplusplus
420 | #define fucks_given 0
421 | #endif
422 |
vmrob

Post by vmrob »

Code: Select all

main(){puts((__int128[]){671944380693508453879479574226248i8});}
FFS, I think I joined this forum 10 years ago. 9 years, 4 months, 24 days ago to be precise.

Falco and some of the other members of the dev team probably know me as Victor: that guy in Ms. Roundtree's class who didn't know what he was getting himself into when he started. In a sense, I feel the same as I did then but much more intelligent and with a better sense of humor. Who wasn't kind of dumb when they were 14?

My primary language is C++; mostly the newer standards like C++11 and C++1y. I work with the command line a lot and I'll dive into anything if it interests me -- I've at least worked with Lua, Python, and, lately, Ruby. My dev box is my Mac laptop, but I'm proficient with various flavors of Linux and, out of necessity, work with Visual Studio on Windows when required. My favorite compiler is Clang and GCC because, hey, they both happen to be great compilers. I have a strong distaste for those that aren't standards compliant.

My environment pretty much just consists of Sublime Text, Google Chrome, and Terminal. At any given point in time, I probably have a dozen or two tabs each in Chrome / ST and try to limit myself to about 4 tabs in Terminal. I tried vim for a period of about two weeks, but just couldn't get over the awkwardness of the interface and, more specifically, text navigation during edit. I'm very much used to using command, and alt to zip around paragraphs, but I had to add an entire extra keystroke to vim for functionality. Besides, who cares about an environment as the code produced is good, right? Ah, and don't forget the tab with Pandora/Soundcloud open 24/7. What would I do without those..

In my free time, I enjoy.. oh right. Free time. I don't have free time anymore because code doesn't write itself. I do subscribe to a plethora of newsfeeds in my RSS reader including the Elysian Shadows dev blog for a few years now which means I've read all 16 posts at one point or another. Too bad you guys don't make more posts! I'm also a big fan of the bleeding edge happenings over at Clang, Boost, and stdc++. Of course I read Ars Technica for all my tech news and my daily internet humor comes from the guys over at Tastefully Offensive. I'm also a frequenter of StackOverflow and a patron of Github.

I certainly can't say that I've been in the game for that long, even if my forum history does reach back to the dark ages. Honestly, I've only been serious about all of it for the last 3 years or so. I learn something new every day and every new thing I learn brings up a whole lot of questions that need answering.

For anyone still wondering about the awful piece of code at the top, just compile/run it with Clang with this equally awful looking piece of code:

echo "main(){puts((__int128[]){671944380693508453879479574226248i8});}" | clang++ -Wno-everything -fms-extensions -x c - -o /tmp/foo && /tmp/foo && rm /tmp/foo
YourNerdyJoe
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: Top secret (not really) Top-Down Shooter for GBA
Favorite Gaming Platforms: GBA, Gamecube, PC, 3DS
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by YourNerdyJoe »

vmrob wrote:

echo "main(){puts((__int128[]){671944380693508453879479574226248i8});}" | clang++ -Wno-everything -fms-extensions -x c - -o /tmp/foo && /tmp/foo && rm /tmp/foo
If you want to be cryptic you should try Malbolge :mrgreen:

(=<`#9]~6ZY32Vx/4Rs+0No-&Jk)"Fh}|Bcy?`=*z]Kw%oG4UUS0/@-ejc(:'8dc
See that?.....
Exactly
https://yournerdyjoe.github.io/
Accy
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Accy »

So, sup. My name is Accy. You can call me Accy or whatever you damn well please. If you want to call me fuckface or poopnose, that's all good man. When I was younger, I used to program a lot and make music, which was when I discovered Adventures in Game Development. Believe me, 13-year-old me was a BIG fan. However, around 5 years ago, I one day decided "I think I'm just going to play guitar today and not program." I then did this every day for the next 5 years. I've been getting back into programming recently and I think being part of a community dedicated to it would be really beneficial for my development. Not so much to ask questions but to get new ideas and stay on top of things.

I suppose I'm rambling now, so I'll just get to the point. I'm here and I'll post a few times. Here's an emoticon to lighten the mood. :shock2:
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Hey Accy, welcome to the forums! Feel free to promote your guitar-related stuff in the Off-Topic section if you have anything to share.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Introduction

Post by Falco Girgis »

Nice to meet you guys... Sorry for being a dick and not saying anything earlier... I was in a bit of a depression at about the time you guys registered. :mrgreen:
shmup73
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: 2D Cross Platform Game Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Playstation, Gameboy Advance, Dreamcast, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C, C++, C#

Post by shmup73 »

Hey everyone!

And yet another new fellow Member of the (probably) most glorious Forum on the Interwebs.
I've been watching AiGD since day one and cried myself into sleep every damn time
there weren't new videos of you guys for several months. :lol:
Just wanted to tell you that your "special style" ;) of going about the Development
of a Game really is a huge inspiration - atleast to me - and i really enjoy your humor, too.
You guys actually fuckin' got me to buy a Dreamcast and start (well atleast trying, i guess) to
write some pretty Code for it. :mrgreen:

If anyone is interested: My real name is Tom and I'm currently studying what would translate
to something like "Electrical Engineering & Information Technology".
I began teaching myself C# when I was like 14 by
- a) YouTube Videos
- and b) raping Google like the little whore it is.
Later I dived into both C and C++ which until today are my favorite choices in language,
now with C++11 even more than ever before. I also dived into Java but don't really enjoy
writing in it today so I only use it for Android App Development from time to time.
I've written quite a bit of C++ SDL / OpenGL Code and also took a look at Direct3D 9/10 & 11,
but hey - who likes Code that doesn't port?... :nono:

Keep devving & stay awesome!
Greetings from Germany,
Tom aka. shmup.

PS: If any of you who know the PVR well could find out why my Code doesn't work on the DC
could point me to the solution chances are I might fall in love with you desperately!
Link -> (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8734&p=88033#p88033) :worship:
Over and out.

#ifndef SIGNATURE_H
#define SIGNATURE_H

#include <stdio.h>

//Maximum Length of Signature
#define SIGNATURE_MAX_LEN 512u

typedef struct{

//ID of the Signature
    uint8  id;

//Text included in the Signature
    char text[SIGNATURE_MAX_LEN];
} SIGNATURE;

//Set the Text of a Signature
void signatureSetText(SIGNATURE *signature, const char *text){
    strncpy(signature, text, strlen(text));
}

//Get the Length of a Signature's Text
void signatureGetLen(const SIGNATURE *signature, uint16 *len_out){
    *len_out = strlen(signature->text);
}

#endif //SIGNATURE_H
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Welcome to the boards, brother! Good to have another serious DC developer here.
ph0sph0ruz
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC,Xbox,Dreamcast
Programming Language of Choice: C,C++

Post by ph0sph0ruz »

I took Falco's advice from the game development videos and joined a forum. I've only been following Elysian Shadows since AiGD #20, so probably since January 2014. I've wanted to be a game developer for a long time now but just never made time for it. Unfortunately for me I've only just realized what was missing from my life, programming but more specifically game development. I've worked at my current company for 15 years and 10 of those were programming (not C++ though), the past 5 years have been empty without coding. In college I took a Graphics programming class using Turbo Pascal, yes the old dos version and I absolutely loved it. That class was hard as hell but after the last project it was very rewarding. A buddy and I put together a basic GUI with buttons, mouse, dropdowns, etc... and created a program where we put tessellations on the screen of varying shapes and sizes. We wrote our own algorithms for the screen space issues we were seeing between the shapes. I've been thinking about finding the old code for this program and recreating it with a modern OpenGL update. The program and code was on an old floppy so we'll see about that.

Other than that I've tinkered around with OpenGL before but nothing serious came out of that. However, now I am working on a yet to be named and determined project and I recently needed some help on finding good tutorials on modern OpenGL which I did receive from reddit. Before that I was pulling out my hair (and I don't have much left) on whether to use something like Unity or go ahead and code it all myself. I've come to the conclusion that I'm doing it myself, not only for the control of the code on the back end but also because those tools are too damn expensive. There are tons of options out there but I think I've found my way so far, I just know that at some point I'll be needing more support so I've joined here and hopefully I can help a few people along the way as well. It has been a few years since I've programmed in C and C++ but I remember the concepts and language for the most part. My senior year I wrote a code formatter in C++ because back then the IDEs didn't really indent things properly like they do for the most part today. My buddy and I also did a text based browser with MFC back in 1999. So I am working on some things but I cannot divulge anything until I have something more concrete to show.

On the side I've been working on some game music and pixel art skills, I do have some examples of those on my website. You don't really have to visit it, there's not much going on yet. The advice Falco gave in those videos for game development are all true. If you don't have shit to show then don't be XxxVirgin69. I still have a long way to go...

I've been a gamer since the Atari 2600 was popular. I've owned major consoles all my life and have always been a Sega fan from the Genesis days. A friend owned the Master System and I played that as well. I had the MegaCD and 32X add-ons for Genesis back in the day. I skipped the Saturn but I owned the Dreamcast (and I'm kicking myself for selling it about 2 years ago, I will need to pick another one up). I've also owned the PS1, PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, and multiple PCs. I play all types of games and love pretty much every genre. I especially loved playing Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger games so yeah I'm interested in Elysian Shadows.

Oh and I love to drink beer, I've been into the craft beer scene before it was so popular. "Hello, World!"
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Awesome introduction man, great to see more people from Falco's generation joining the forums. Hope to see you around.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
qpHalcy0n
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by qpHalcy0n »

ph0sph0ruz wrote:Oh and I love to drink beer, I've been into the craft beer scene before it was so popular. "Hello, World!"
Well, you'd probably get along swimmingly around here :)
ph0sph0ruz
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC,Xbox,Dreamcast
Programming Language of Choice: C,C++

Post by ph0sph0ruz »

qpHalcy0n wrote:
ph0sph0ruz wrote:Oh and I love to drink beer, I've been into the craft beer scene before it was so popular. "Hello, World!"
Well, you'd probably get along swimmingly around here :)
I sort of figured that after watching the AiGD videos and thanks for the welcome guys.

BTW, I forgot to mention I helped run a little site called BigGreenX.com back when the XBox 1 was popular. I did all the php mods for it and configuration. Sucks that the owner of the site just packed it in and closed shop without telling everyone but hey whatever. I think I found a new home.
killall_sigsegv
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by killall_sigsegv »

Sup, everyone.

AiGD follower of 2-3 years or something like that. Amazing series which has made me laugh my ass off far more times than I can count.

I'm a journeyman graphics programmer who loves me some OpenGL, C/C++, and some Linux.
Totally happy to learn more as well as help others who are literally just getting started in the realm of lower level graphics APIs.

I've lurked this community here and there, and from what I've gathered it rocks the socks.

Dream: Become a badass game engine developer. \m/
Occupation: 22 y/o college student living at the 'rents house. \m/
Major: C.S., C.E. or some shit. IDGAF \m/ \m/
Calypso
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, GBC
Programming Language of Choice: Obj-c

Post by Calypso »

killall_sigsegv wrote:Sup, everyone.

AiGD follower of 2-3 years or something like that. Amazing series which has made me laugh my ass off far more times than I can count.

I'm a journeyman graphics programmer who loves me some OpenGL, C/C++, and some Linux.
Totally happy to learn more as well as help others who are literally just getting started in the realm of lower level graphics APIs.

I've lurked this community here and there, and from what I've gathered it rocks the socks.

Dream: Become a badass game engine developer. \m/
Occupation: 22 y/o college student living at the 'rents house. \m/
Major: C.S., C.E. or some shit. IDGAF \m/ \m/
Nice to meet you, it's awesome you joined the forum finally.