Official "Hello, World! (I'm new!)" thread

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Official "Hello, World! (I'm new!)" thread

Post by Falco Girgis »

Glad to have you, Ryan! :shock:

I'm sure you'll like it here.
Nohbdy wrote:P.S. Just discovered "Adventures in Game Development" about 2 days ago, and so eventually I decided to join this forum. I'm a wannabe C++ programmer with big dreams, how about you? 'Tis an honor to be here! ^.^ Hope I can do something productive around here!
So how exactly did you find us, out of curiosity? Our grand, evil marketing/advertising scheme has shifted quite a bit with the rebirth of the project. I'm wondering where our viewers are coming from these days?
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Falco Girgis wrote:So how exactly did you find us, out of curiosity? Our grand, evil marketing/advertising scheme has shifted quite a bit with the rebirth of the project. I'm wondering where our viewers are coming from these days?
Perhaps we should start a survey.. that would be interesting information.

Welcome Nohbdy "Ryan" Ahtall.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Nohbdy
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Learning C++
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Anything capable of expanding the mind.
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Nohbdy »

It really is an honor to be here, arigatou gozaimasu Falco-san. :P

As for my story of finding here, it was very simple. I was just browsing another forum, trying to learn programming concepts whether I was ready for them or not. In this case it was here: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/623358-com ... try4930897
GameDev.net, a video to help explain the difference between Component-based and Inheritance-based design, which a piece of your "Adventure" surely did help explain.
As soon as I saw the video, I noticed "Wait a second.... programming/game-development educational stuff inside an entertaining series documenting the life of a small independent team of people making a game!?..." then either I exploded, or I watched more. So far watched all of Chapter 17 first, and the "trailer" for 18, but then went back and started from 1 and made my way up to 11 or something.

I guess you could "perhaps" say either it was GameDev.net, or YouTube that led me here(but I mean, how far does that go? Do I thank Google for finding me GameDev? Thank Microsoft and my Internet Provider for getting me to Google? Thank the individual companies of each circuit and component in my computer and the inventors of them all and the math that the ancients discovered and their parents who created them and... etc?).... but I'm pretty sure the true motivator was the videos themselves, which in-turn means the people in the videos..

..Oh hey I guess that means you referred me here! Thanks man! xP
--- Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in fruit salad. ---
VolsporTV
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: The Void
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, Dreamcast
Programming Language of Choice: C/++ and ByondScript

Post by VolsporTV »

Hello ES team and other forum members.

I'm Volspor, the lead developer/designer for the project "The Void". It's a 2D RPG being developed for BYOND.com, I will later take the same concept and develop it in C/++ and expand to other platforms and OS's. I maintain a tumblr: theworldofprogramming.tumblr.com. It is where I will be posting updates about both the website and the game.

As of April 15, 2012 I have started to work with Qt Creator to develop the Toolkit for The Void. This will lead to future expansion on to other OS's.

I started out programming 2-3 years ago when I discovered AiGD on YouTube, which I found because of the "Rope Swing Accident" video, these fellow young men of the ES team are very talented. As from the high school age to college. They keep myself motivated to work on The Void and not let it go into a complete reest.

If you want to know more PM me.
bbguimaraes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Post by bbguimaraes »

As one of the newest members of the forum (even though more than 20 users signed in since I did, 4 days ago), I'd like to say 'Hello' to everybody.

I've discovered you guys a long time ago, when I was just entering college, which was in 2008. I don't remember how, but I found the AIGD series on Youtube, and have been following you since then. I signed to this forum on that occasion, but stopped following it after a short time, I don't remeber why.

But now I'm back (just as the series), and will probably be participating on some of the discussions. I am a Computer Science student from Brazil (not sure if there are many from this part of the world on the forum), programmer, currently unemployed, writting my final paper for college, part time musician and ex-band member. I'm interested in programming, generally, and game programming to some extent. Game programming is, to me, an interesting exercise, but it's not my main focus.

OK, that's enough for an introduction. 'Til next time!
Tetriarch
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Brotherhood of the Raven
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC

Post by Tetriarch »

Hello everybody,

I'am Petr.. friends and net guys know me as Tetriarch.

I watch Falco's channel on YouTube more than year.

I am a simple guy from the Czech Republic, who wants to develope games.
I try to learn C++/SDL and I also try to code things which could be used in games.

I have some concepts in my head but... I haven't skills to create it yet, so I will not say and promise what I want to or what I will develope.

Sorry, If i made mistakes, my English is bad, I guess. ;)

-Tetriarch
What if I am 1 and my shadow is 0? Does it still mean that we are 2?

Fractal art - DA Gallery
tappatekie
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Web browser from scratch
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, PSP, PS1 and 3
Programming Language of Choice: C#

Post by tappatekie »

I have not actually posted on this Hello World thread yet, I thought I did and just forgot, I have already been on here for a while so, here is my Hello World post :D

I am a C# programmer, 18 years old, code every day and go to college. Working on 3 different projects at the moment; file system, scripting language (in a post "Plywood") and a social network.

My hello message is as follows

Code: Select all

using System;
static class Program {
static void Main(string[] args) {
Console.WriteLine("Hello World");
}
}
Barroll
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Barroll »

Hail! I must thank the ES crew today for (re)inspiring me to pick up programming. I followed their youtube videos years ago when they first came out, and was very motivated by them. However somewhere along the line I stopped having the desire to program, and they also fell off the face of the earth. Yet today, i found that they have new videos posted, began watching them. and now im learning C++. So I salute you Mr. who ever you are! For now I will become a programmer (with any and all luck MWahaha)
But until I am defeated by ADD or something, I'll be sticking around these parts.
JarrodParkes
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Yes, iPhone Application(s)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64, PC

Post by JarrodParkes »

Barroll wrote:Hail! I must thank the ES crew today for (re)inspiring me to pick up programming. I followed their youtube videos years ago when they first came out, and was very motivated by them. However somewhere along the line I stopped having the desire to program, and they also fell off the face of the earth. Yet today, i found that they have new videos posted, began watching them. and now im learning C++. So I salute you Mr. who ever you are! For now I will become a programmer (with any and all luck MWahaha)
But until I am defeated by ADD or something, I'll be sticking around these parts.
Great to hear. All the best in your programming endeavors! God Bless!
Imrooniel
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Hey there!

Post by Imrooniel »

Heeeloooo! *insert many more exclamation mark to indicate happiness*

So I came here and it looks like I'll be luring around this forum for quite some time. Mostly in art section (throwing out critiques left and right) and sometimes in game development (throwing stupid & mad ideas left and right).

By the way, it's ages that I didn't see phpBB - so much nostalgia :D
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Re: Hey there!

Post by k1net1k »

Welcome
Xarax
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Xarax »

Hello everyone, my names Harry and I'm from New York and I'm striving to being a concept artist, polishing my skills along the way. Nice to meet you all.
Skomakar'n
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Skomakar'n »

Xarax wrote:Hello everyone, my names Harry and I'm from New York and I'm striving to being a concept artist, polishing my skills along the way. Nice to meet you all.
Show us something!
Xarax
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Xarax »

Skomakar'n wrote:
Xarax wrote:Hello everyone, my names Harry and I'm from New York and I'm striving to being a concept artist, polishing my skills along the way. Nice to meet you all.
Show us something!
If you don't mind them not having colors, I have some to show.

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o59 ... uerade.jpg
http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o59 ... phegor.jpg
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64
Programming Language of Choice: C++, PHP

Post by superLED »

Xarax wrote:
Skomakar'n wrote:
Show us something!
If you don't mind them not having colors, I have some to show.

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o59 ... uerade.jpg
http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o59 ... phegor.jpg
That is actually pretty neat!
Welcome to the forums :3