So I Composed Some Music For The First Time

Forum for the creative side of the game development process: art, music, storyline, gameplay, concepts, etc. Any sort of relevant discussion is welcome here.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer
Current Project: 2D RPG & NES Platformer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES,SNES,N64,Genesis,Dreamcast,PC,Xbox360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

So I Composed Some Music For The First Time

Post by Light-Dark »

By composed I mean fooled around in Famitracker for a few hours lol.

This is my very first step into the world of music and I think it sounds okay for a short 30 second track. What do you guys think?

[EDIT]
Okay so I messed around a little more and I think I made it slightly better
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: So I Composed Some Music For The First Time

Post by dandymcgee »

It's not bad for your first attempt ever! However, it lacks a good rhythm and the notes jump wildly between various scales.

If you've never played an instrument of any sort, or taken any formal music course, you should start with some basic tutorials:

How Rhythm Works
How Basic Chords Work

Check out this rendition of Michael Jackson's Beat It in Famitracker.

Obviously you aren't going to start with such a complex piece, but just watch and listen paying attention to the beat held by the drums, the rhythm of the instruments, and then the melody (where lyrics would normally be).
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64
Programming Language of Choice: C++, PHP

Post by superLED »

I really like what you are aiming for, but since this is your first attempt, there's some stuff you can do to improve it and really make what you have in mind.

1: Choose a scale.
As a starter, use only the white notes (this is the C Major scale)

2: Play around a chord.
A chord is 3 notes (played together). In the C Major scale, you choose a note, and jump over one note, play that, jump over one more note, and play that.
You don't have to PLAY those notes together, but know that these are "stealth playing" in the background. So you should have it playing in the background anyway just as a guideline. That way, you know when you are playing something that doesn't really fit.
Always start your melody with one of these notes. Try to aim for them as much as possible when making a melody, because these are the stars of your song.
You can use more than one chord in your melody. For example, chord 1 is X, and chord 2 is Y. Try play XXYY just to keep it simple.

3: Keep it simple at first.
You don't wanna try to make a masterpiece at first. Try to make a really, really simple song where you just try to make something sound "good enough", and not perfect. When it's "good enough", try add stuff to it, change the rythm of the melody and maybe add more instruments.

Anyway, as your first song, this was really good. My first songs sounded like a dying dog with a flute in his mouth.
ElpidaHope
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC

Post by ElpidaHope »

Hey really good try for a first attempt, you will get better soon ;) Practice is everything
I myself aren't the best musician ever. The only thing I would say is about the rhythm just like the others said. A good rhythm would make this even better.