Grass Tiles

Forum for the creative side of the game development process: art, music, storyline, gameplay, concepts, etc. Any sort of relevant discussion is welcome here.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Grass Tiles

Postby Light-Dark on Fri May 17, 2013 3:24 pm

So today I tried my hand at making some grass tiles
GrassTilesheet.png
Grass
GrassTilesheet.png (1.92 KiB) Viewed 1805 times

Can anyone offer some feedback/advice? What is the best way to do grass? Which version of tile do you think is best?
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step

Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Re: Grass Tiles

Postby Light-Dark on Sat May 18, 2013 10:48 am

GrassTilesheet.png
Grass2
GrassTilesheet.png (1.79 KiB) Viewed 1781 times

Alright so, screw that last one how does this look?

EDIT:
I fixed an issue that made it obvious that it was tiled
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step

Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Postby dandymcgee on Sat May 18, 2013 2:32 pm

If you haven't already read this I think it might give you some good tips: http://gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/sywtbapa_almighty_grass_tile.php
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Postby Light-Dark on Sat May 18, 2013 3:34 pm

dandymcgee wrote:If you haven't already read this I think it might give you some good tips: http://gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/sywtbapa_almighty_grass_tile.php

thank you sir

Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Postby Light-Dark on Sat May 18, 2013 10:08 pm

GrassTilesheet.png
BetterGrass
GrassTilesheet.png (2.02 KiB) Viewed 1764 times

How does it look now?

Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Postby dandymcgee on Sun May 19, 2013 8:35 am

Damn, excellent work! Your quality of work just went from Legend of Zelda to Secret of Mana in one giant leap. The only issue is there are some pretty nasty tiling artifacts, but those can be fixed with a few careful tweaks.

Your tile when tiled:
grass.png
grass.png (6.17 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Postby Light-Dark on Sun May 19, 2013 10:14 am

dandymcgee wrote:Damn, excellent work! Your quality of work just went from Legend of Zelda to Secret of Mana in one giant leap. The only issue is there are some pretty nasty tiling artifacts, but those can be fixed with a few careful tweaks.

Your tile when tiled:
grass.png

Thanks! And I'm working on fixing that, that tutorial you suggested was quite helpful!

Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Return to Art, Music, and Design