8-bit Platformer Pixel Artist Needed

Forum for the creative side of the game development process: art, music, storyline, gameplay, concepts, etc. Any sort of relevant discussion is welcome here.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

EccentricDuck
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Isometric "2.5D" Airship Game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS2, SNES, GBA, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C#, Python, JScript

8-bit Platformer Pixel Artist Needed

Post by EccentricDuck »

Hey all, I've been super busy with work and side projects so I haven't been around the forums much lately. Recently I dropped some other projects to focus on a platformer title. It just so happens that I work with an incredibly talented programmer at my day job named Jeremy who has a burning passion for making games which, up to this point, he's only ever expressed through his solo projects. Jeremy and I have been talking, and I've literally turned down the opportunity to work with another co-worker on a different title, plus my friend Gaian and I have shelved our other platformer project to pursue this one project with Jeremy.

Check out an old flash version of the game (which is quite complete) at:
http://www.jeremyaburns.com/page.php?page=platformer

You may notice that there are two modes for the game. The default mode which uses vector graphics and another mode which uses 8-bit pixel graphics. We are pursuing the 8-bit pixel version. This is where you come in. We are looking for an 8-bit pixel artist to join us. Jeremy has done most of the pixel art up to this point in the 8-bit version, and "borrowed" graphics for the vector graphics version.

With my help we will be porting the game to XNA and C#, a platform that both Jeremy and I are familiar with which gives us more options in terms of delivering the final product. We have a pretty solid idea about what assets are needed. We are looking for approximately 15 enemy spritesheets, 1 additional mini boss, 3-4 bosses, 2x4 background layers for each of our 4 levels, and one tileset for the final level. If you are interested in doing all or part of that then message me and we can talk further. Looking forward to hearing from you!

David
lalacomun
VS Setup Wizard
VS Setup Wizard
Favorite Gaming Platforms: psx, nintendo ds, gameboy advance, xbox 360, ps2
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: 8-bit Platformer Pixel Artist Needed

Post by lalacomun »

dude please post all these on the off-topic section :)
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Moosader »

lalacomun wrote:dude please post all these on the off-topic section :)
Shouldn't "Art needed" postings go in the Art forum?
EccentricDuck wrote:We are looking for approximately 15 enemy spritesheets, 1 additional mini boss, 3-4 bosses, 2x4 background layers for each of our 4 levels, and one tileset for the final level. If you are interested in doing all or part of that then message me and we can talk further. Looking forward to hearing from you!

David
What kind of style are you going for?
What is the time-frame of the project?
Are you able to provide concept art examples of exactly what you want?

Also, I don't know if you guys are up for it, but it might help to put together a comprehensive list of everything you want; from types of enemies to what actions each spritesheet needs (walk, run, attack, get hurt, die, etc.)
Blackflower-1996
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Blackflower-1996 »

Moosader wrote:
lalacomun wrote:dude please post all these on the off-topic section :)
Shouldn't "Art needed" postings go in the Art forum?
yes, offcourse, but a few days ago, actually yesterday ;) there was a guy posting recipes for some jamaikan type food so he commented that :)
EccentricDuck
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Isometric "2.5D" Airship Game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS2, SNES, GBA, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C#, Python, JScript

Post by EccentricDuck »

Heyo. Let's keep this in the art forum because it's most relevant here.

Also, thanks for the feedback Moosader. The style is just as shown in the game (8-bit version, not the vector graphics version). However, I realize it would also be nice to see examples of what our sprite art currently looks like on the sheet. Take a look at a few of our enemies:

Soldier:

Rocket Soldier:

1st Boss:

Some enemies walk, some fly, some shoot, all can get hurt (typically with red coloring for regular enemies) and die. We have a couple more spritesheets, plus a couple more enemy concepts that we only have the vector graphics versions of (shown in the games).

Regarding timeframes, we're aiming to complete artwork within 3 months. The aim for the overall project is closer to 5 months. There may be more work to do after the 3 month period with touch-ups, menu art, additional icons, etc etc. We can create some or all of these assets, but the option exists for those who are interested. My intent is to bring on someone who's passionate about the art side. For you, whether this be a hobby project, a stepping stone for future goals, or whatever else; I want to see what you can do if you are genuinely interested in creating pixel art. Passion and commitment are more important to me than absolute technical skill - though if you have other completed artwork you can show me in a portfolio or otherwise that's definitely a plus (I know you do Moosader).