Game Design

Forum for the creative side of the game development process: art, music, storyline, gameplay, concepts, etc. Any sort of relevant discussion is welcome here.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

OliverNordbjerg
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Game Design

Post by OliverNordbjerg »

Hello!

My first game design concept is done, and I just wanted to hear what you think. The game is called Space Smash!, and is basically a game where you grab your enemies and throw them at each other. I haven't started coding yet, but the structure and the core concepts of the game are available at Google Docs.

The structure of my game can be viewed here. (Ignore the "To add"-box, it's for another version if desired)

Will this be solid, or do you have any improvements?

Thanks! :)

Edit: Maybe I should explain the different lines before any confusion starts to kick in. A line with no arrow means that the two classes interact. The ImageManager, for example, holds Images, thus the line. Lines with an arrow shows inheritance, and the green line is to represent that the Game class contains one instance of every Manager class. Also, the Managers along with the Game contains a pointer to the Input class for recieving input, of course.
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Re: Game Design

Post by k1net1k »

welcome !

Im not quite sure I understand how your player/enemy/character descends from entity
treyrust
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Between projects
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1/2/3/P, NES, Wii, Genesis, Dreamcast, GBA, DS
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by treyrust »

Looks ok to me, but take that with a grain of salt... The best way to learn is to do. You'll learn a lot more if you make this engine from your own design and then realize some things could have been done better, than if you listened to experienced people and tried to stay on the rails of what they do. Because then you'll have a good understanding of WHY you would do it differently.

But shouldn't this be moved to the Programming section, since it's talking about the engine design and not the game itself?
OliverNordbjerg
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by OliverNordbjerg »

treyrust wrote:Looks ok to me, but take that with a grain of salt... The best way to learn is to do. You'll learn a lot more if you make this engine from your own design and then realize some things could have been done better, than if you listened to experienced people and tried to stay on the rails of what they do. Because then you'll have a good understanding of WHY you would do it differently.

But shouldn't this be moved to the Programming section, since it's talking about the engine design and not the game itself?
Thanks for the advice!

I also wondered for a few minutes before posting whether it should be in the programming or design section. First post.
k1net1k wrote:welcome !

Im not quite sure I understand how your player/enemy/character descends from entity
The entity is a base class for all entities in the game. In my game an entity has a position, a texture and a velocity.
SPR_Phantom
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by SPR_Phantom »

treyrust wrote:Looks ok to me, but take that with a grain of salt... The best way to learn is to do. You'll learn a lot more if you make this engine from your own design and then realize some things could have been done better, than if you listened to experienced people and tried to stay on the rails of what they do. Because then you'll have a good understanding of WHY you would do it differently.

Brilliant advice!
Obscurity
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Obscurity »

Couldn't agree with that statement more, treyrust! :)

I don't necessarily agree with your idea of ignoring the advice of EXPERIENCED persons.
It is easier, and better to learn from the successes from others, as to avoid their mistakes as well...
... If someone says to not stick your finger into an outlet, do you really need to, to understand what will happen?

You can, however, read on what will happen if you try these 'bad' paradigms, or designs.
MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Octopia
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1-3, Genesis, Dreamcast, SNES, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++,Java,Py,LUA,XML
Location: C:\\United States of America\Utah\West Valley City\Neighborhood\House\Computer Desk

Post by MadPumpkin »

I'd go with stick your finger in an outlet, to FEEL what happens... It sounds like a bad joke, but really I'm using it as proper metaphor. When you stick your finger in an outlet "just to see what happens" aka. Learn you did something stupid, by doing something stupid and ignoring advice. You learn more than you ever could have, just by not doing it. But what I mean by feeling what happens. Is that you recognize the fact that stupid shit will happen, and that you've been forewarned before you do it, BEFORE YOU DO IT. But that doesn't always mean don't do it. (usually this is where common sense comes into play as far as "hmm I'll learn by doing" goes).
While Jesus equipped with angels, the Devil's equipped with cops
For God so loved the world that he blessed the thugs with rock