Rate my sprite/advice needed

Forum for the creative side of the game development process: art, music, storyline, gameplay, concepts, etc. Any sort of relevant discussion is welcome here.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

fatman1
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Rate my sprite/advice needed

Post by fatman1 »

Hey! I've just spent some time doing this sprite out of some concept work. I like it so far, however I feel it needs some extra detail, touchups and some colours changing. I'm a programmer, and spend very little time doing any kind of art.

Essentially, I'm looking for advice on how to make the sprite "better".

(The latest sprite is the blue one on the right hand side)

LATEST UPDATE:

Cheers, Sam.
Last edited by fatman1 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom_leonardsson
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: Map editor
Favorite Gaming Platforms: nes,nds,snes,DOS,GBA,the Nd,android
Programming Language of Choice: c/++,javascript,Java

Re: Rate my sprite/advice needed

Post by Tom_leonardsson »

fatman1 wrote:Hey! I've just spent some time doing this sprite out of some concept work. I like it so far, however I feel it needs some extra detail, touchups and some colours changing. I'm a programmer, and spend very little time doing any kind of art.

Essentially, I'm looking for advice on how to make the sprite "better".

(The latest sprite is the blue one on the right hand side)

Cheers, Sam.
awesome....
ChrissyJ91
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1/2
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by ChrissyJ91 »

That is a really nice sprite. :) If you want some criticism I have some suggestions
1. the left side of the body is a straight line while on your draft it is curved.
2. the left side of the right leg is again a straight line not curved like the draft.
3. the tv set and some parts of the body could be made cleaner and more rounded however
that may be an effect you are going for?
I like the sprite and these are pretty minor criticisms if you would like I can provide an example
sprite with these changes made to show what I mean. :)
fatman1
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by fatman1 »

ChrissyJ91 wrote:That is a really nice sprite. :) If you want some criticism I have some suggestions
1. the left side of the body is a straight line while on your draft it is curved.
2. the left side of the right leg is again a straight line not curved like the draft.
3. the tv set and some parts of the body could be made cleaner and more rounded however
that may be an effect you are going for?
I like the sprite and these are pretty minor criticisms if you would like I can provide an example
sprite with these changes made to show what I mean. :)
Feel free, thanks for the criticism! Any advice on colours? I'm not too happy with the television set colour and the face colour. Maybe it's just me that thinks it doesn't suit. I never like what I create :3

Update:

Another update. Playing around with faces, decided to make them grayscale - mimics the static you get on your TV when not tuned.
rolland
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: Starting an Android app soon
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1, N64
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by rolland »

I like it. One thing a little off is that his belt seems to melt into his suit on the sprite (on the left side), whereas it looks like more pronounced on the drawing. Though it depends on the style and context you're going for. The sprite looks more like he's wearing a halloween costume whereas the drawing looks more like he's wearing a real suit.
Hope that makes sense. But the main thing is: it looks good :mrgreen:
I'll write a signature once I get some creativity and inspiration...
ChrissyJ91
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1/2
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by ChrissyJ91 »

Here's the example its not great but I've tried to make some of it more rounded. Let me know what you think. ;)
The idea of having greyscale for the face is an interesting idea. perhaps you could have the face animate like
its switching from channel to channel maybe those different channels would give him a different face?
fatman1
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by fatman1 »

ChrissyJ91 wrote:Image
Here's the example its not great but I've tried to make some of it more rounded. Let me know what you think. ;)
The idea of having greyscale for the face is an interesting idea. perhaps you could have the face animate like
its switching from channel to channel maybe those different channels would give him a different face?
That was the idea ;)

Not sure if you (and rolland) have seen my updates. I've made the belt more prominent, and adjusted some things. I need to work on animating the sprite now, which will be dreadful D:
mattheweston
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Breakout clone, Unnamed 2D RPG
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, XBOX360
Programming Language of Choice: C#

Post by mattheweston »

Is it just me or do the buttons on the suit tend to blend in and not really look visible?