Blender exporter or 3D modeler from scratch?

Forum for the creative side of the game development process: art, music, storyline, gameplay, concepts, etc. Any sort of relevant discussion is welcome here.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Octopia
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1-3, Genesis, Dreamcast, SNES, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++,Java,Py,LUA,XML
Location: C:\\United States of America\Utah\West Valley City\Neighborhood\House\Computer Desk

Blender exporter or 3D modeler from scratch?

Post by MadPumpkin »

Pretty simple, should I write a Python blender model and animation exporter for my custom model type? (I'm Py- fluent) I would not only make a model exporter, but write a different skeletal system from scratch with Python scripts for the way that my game handles animations. Or should I just write a 3D model program from scratch with simplicities like, select multiple vertices and move/rotate the group, add face, extrude. All the really basic things. And then my own animator for it.

Normally this would be an obvious, "Which ever you feel like". But I have never done Blender scripts in my life, so which would be better to make? If I did either one I'm thinking of putting it up somewhere for download.
EDIT: Well the source that is...
While Jesus equipped with angels, the Devil's equipped with cops
For God so loved the world that he blessed the thugs with rock
Aleios
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: Aleios Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Dreamcast
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Blender exporter or 3D modeler from scratch?

Post by Aleios »

It would seem pretty cool to make your own, but i would write an exporter script if i already had the tools at my fingertips. Though that's just my opinion, Choose whatever you feel most comfortable with.
bnpph
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by bnpph »

Blender scripts are such a pain. Much better than making a modeler, though.
WreckKa
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, 360, PC, N64
Programming Language of Choice: DarkBASIC, C#
Location: Lost somewhere deep in the cybernetic abyss of the internet.

Post by WreckKa »

I personally detest Blender, and if I had the skills/fluency to avoid using it all together, I most certainly would. However, using Blender probably wouldn't take nearly as long. I would make the decision based on how patient you are and what you want to accomplish.
- - - v - ^ -@
MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Octopia
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1-3, Genesis, Dreamcast, SNES, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++,Java,Py,LUA,XML
Location: C:\\United States of America\Utah\West Valley City\Neighborhood\House\Computer Desk

Weightless Animator(Formerly-Blender exporter or...)

Post by MadPumpkin »

Alright well I think I've made up my mind. I figured since not only would I be writing my own animation system for blender with a custom module separate from the built in animation system. I would be writing my own exporter for my model type, skeletons and my animations and then have to bring them into my encryption program for use in my game... I decided to write my own tool, I've already gotten started. It's in C++ using SDL with sub libraries SDL_ttf and SDL_image. Because it must support 2D bone animation as well as textured 3D models. So far it supports only bones and skeletons. So most of the back end is in. You can through a text file (UI coming soon) load up to 20 textures and 20 3D models based on my own 3D model format. Which hopefully within the... Next few months will support animation in the fullest :]. My file formats will be open when I finish the tool that actually supports them.

I am calling the program WANI. Weightless ANImator because my file format is Light Weight Model(.lwm) and Light Weight Animation(.lwa). :P mostly it just sounds fancy to have a project nick name hah :D.
Things to do
  • 2D animation
  • 3D model loader
  • 3D animation
  • Skeletal bone editor
  • Pose editor
  • 3D model editing
  • Attachment editor (Weapons, geometry additions like team flags or tank tops that need rotation)
  • LUA Scripting
  • ODE physics engine
  • Bunch of other stuff I can't think of :P...
While Jesus equipped with angels, the Devil's equipped with cops
For God so loved the world that he blessed the thugs with rock