Graphics Gale?

Forum for the creative side of the game development process: art, music, storyline, gameplay, concepts, etc. Any sort of relevant discussion is welcome here.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Graphics Gale?

Post by Marx Chaotix »

I've been doing much art work for a while and am getting myself enrolled into several art courses in my high-school (am a Junior going into my senior year soon). I haven't until recently been looking into pixel art and am wondering what software every pixel artist on here can recommend. I stumbled upon this program not so long ago and from what I can tell, it seems like a fairly decent program and would like everyone's opinion. If you know of any better ones that you can recommend that would be very well appreciated.

http://www.humanbalance.net/gale/us/
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: Graphics Gale?

Post by dandymcgee »

Honestly I'm still kinda pissed that Win7 did away with the MSPaint tool. For the time being I've found Paint.NET to offer the simplicity of MSPaint, and whole lot more if you care to dive into it.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Marx Chaotix »

dandymcgee wrote:Honestly I'm still kinda pissed that Win7 did away with the MSPaint tool. For the time being I've found Paint.NET to offer the simplicity of MSPaint, and whole lot more if you care to dive into it.
So you recommend Paint.NET?
Aleios
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: Aleios Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Dreamcast
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Aleios »

You can use paint.NET, although Graphics Gale seems more oriented around sprite art, whilst paint.net feels more like a simplified photoshop. My suggestion is to give both a try and figure out which feels the best to you.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

I use graphics gale on linux in wine. It sounds terrible, but I have to say for sprites I find it easiest to use.
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Marx Chaotix »

I tried out Paint.NET and it works fairly well. I'm a decent artist but, it's now a matter of me learning art in the pixel form =\ thanks for your opinions everyone! I'll let you know how this program works out for me.