constructive criticism needed

Forum for the creative side of the game development process: art, music, storyline, gameplay, concepts, etc. Any sort of relevant discussion is welcome here.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

ParticleGames
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: A map editor for a platformer I plan to develop
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Wii, Gamecube
Programming Language of Choice: C++

constructive criticism needed

Post by ParticleGames »

I have made this for a shmup I am making, and I would like some criticism on how to make it better. I have never done pixel art before, so I know it looks horrendous.Thanks :)
Check out my iPhone app here: http://twilighthop.com
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: constructive criticism needed

Post by dandymcgee »

I'm guessing it's some sort of imaginative plane? Other than the black outline around the (window?) I think it looks pretty good.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Van-B
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: iPhone puzzle game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: All - Except Amiga
Programming Language of Choice: DBPro, ObjC++

Re: constructive criticism needed

Post by Van-B »

I think the main issue is the lighting - I can't figure out where it's coming from, and there isn't enough of it. Maybe add a second light source, blue to come from the bottom right, and white from the top left. And shade the whole thing, don't mirror it. Also don't be afraid to add some detail gradients, like flaps on the wings perhaps. I always liked the visuals in Xenon2 though, so maybe that's got something to do with it. If your going for a bright and cartoony look, then I would add some dark lines and a border to bring it out, maybe have a more defined cartoonish lighting.
Health, ammo.... and bacon and eggs.