Sprite Sizes

Forum for the creative side of the game development process: art, music, storyline, gameplay, concepts, etc. Any sort of relevant discussion is welcome here.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

dream_coder
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Sprite Sizes

Post by dream_coder »

Hey all, I have done a fair bit of coding. However I need to create some place holder graphics to get used to working with sprites and tile sheets. I was just wondering what sort of size I should make my sprites. I dont want them to be tiny commander keen style, I want them to be a reasonable size. However I am currently faced with the setup screen for a new project in Pro Motion 6 and I havnt a clue what size to make them. Any help would be appreciated.

Actually the image I have below is the sort of size I am looking for. Thanx.

Too small = COmmander Keen
Too Large = Street Fighter 2
pritam
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Amiga, PSOne, NDS
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Sprite Sizes

Post by pritam »

Just make it easy to change later and you'll be all set.
Milch
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Milch »

I don't know what programming language you're using ( never heard of Pro Studio 6 ), but try to take a power of 2 spritesize.
So like 32x32, 64x64, 128x32, ...
because older graphic cards ( or chips, whatever ) dont support non power of 2 textures!
Follow me on twitter!
pritam
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Amiga, PSOne, NDS

Post by pritam »

Milch wrote:I don't know what programming language you're using ( never heard of Pro Studio 6 ), but try to take a power of 2 spritesize.
So like 32x32, 64x64, 128x32, ...
because older graphic cards ( or chips, whatever ) dont support non power of 2 textures!
Yeah, agreed. This is important.
dream_coder
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by dream_coder »

Im actually using C++ and gonna make a leap onto SDL. Pro Motion 6 was just a spriting package, however to be honest I didn't see any need for anything so advanced so just using paint.net now. I am doing 32 x 64 sprites for my place holder images, I aint going for anything advanced, just want some player objects to move about.

I have been a member of these forums for a while, but aint been on for quite a while due to work, as currently doing CCNA and MSCE, plus been in a relationship but that has ended so have a lot more free weekends now so gonna get back into devving.

I have just attached the images I made at some stupid hour this morning. I know they aint much but they aint meant to be proper sprites for games just for trialling purposes. When I have a 2d engine that is good I will probably pay an artist hopefully off of these forums or another to do some proper sprites based on concept art.
Attachments
Sprite to represent the player
Sprite to represent the player
Player.jpg (3.11 KiB) Viewed 2337 times
Sprite to represent a health pickup
Sprite to represent a health pickup
Health.jpg (2.96 KiB) Viewed 2338 times
Sprite to represent an enemy
Sprite to represent an enemy
enemy.jpg (3.2 KiB) Viewed 2337 times
epicasian
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Gigazilla Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by epicasian »

Just saying, but saving sprites *.JPGs can cause artifacting, so you can't edit after you save.
dream_coder
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by dream_coder »

Oh right. What should I save them as. I havnt even looked at SDL yet, just messing around with Paint.net at the minute, lol.
epicasian
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by epicasian »

Well, *.PNGs and *.GIFs are ideal for sprite work, because it keeps the colors the way they are; or something like that. I'm not an artist, so I can't tell you the specifics.

Paint.NET, I think, is an okay program; I just liked Graphics Gale more when I attempted sprite work, lol
dream_coder
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by dream_coder »

Thanks for that. I will have another attempt at the sprites I think. WIll be good practice anyway. Is graphics gale free? ALso gonna try and knock together a sprite sheet holding background tiles for platforms and stuff just trying to figure out how to do it. I can make files the right size, ie n*32 x n*64 (width by height). But on Paint.net I cant see anyway of making a grid overlay appear so I know where a tile starts and ends. Can anybody advise please, because these seem like basics but actually pretty hard to implement.
epicasian
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by epicasian »

No problem :DD. Also, yes; The free version at least lol: http://www.humanbalance.net/gale/us/ .

Tiles are a LOT easier to do the character sprites, in my opinion.

And for the grid overlay, in Graphics Gale, there is a way to make a grid appear. You can also search for grids on the intrawebz, or make one by checkerboarding a 32x32 tile.
dream_coder
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by dream_coder »

I just downloaded Graphics Gale free version. Had a quick look at it. It seems perfect for what I want , so tonight I am gonna have another bash at some place holder graphics, will post what I create.