Attn Sound Guys... Hip Hop beats?

Forum for the creative side of the game development process: art, music, storyline, gameplay, concepts, etc. Any sort of relevant discussion is welcome here.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

COAL
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Adventures in Game Development
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64, SNES, NES, Game Boy
Programming Language of Choice: C tic tac toe

Attn Sound Guys... Hip Hop beats?

Post by COAL »

I know Falco works with some damn good sound guys. I've heard some really cool stuff and seen in the vids. Does anyone have any interest in hip hop music? I have been trying to throw down some beats with Acid Pro but my shit is pretty pathetic. I will definitely have to work at it. I have hoards of rhymes and want to put them to some beats but... I want some good beats. If anyone would be interested in collaborating with me on some hip-hop projects please send me some samples. I've been sitting on this for too long and would like to get something rolling. I'm starting my own independent record label here in SLC, Ballz Out Records to put out records for my punk rock band and other bands that I know. I have other projects ahead, but I'm thinking that I will eventually release some hip hop albums on the label. Anyone interested plz let me know.

Cheerz
Res Novae
pritam
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Amiga, PSOne, NDS
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Attn Sound Guys... Hip Hop beats?

Post by pritam »

You should post this on a musician forum as well, I'm sure you'd get more response. I know Fruity Loops/Image-Line have their own forum for this kind of thing, not sure about Acid Pro.
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

Oh geez. Sorry for not noticing this before.
First of all, thanks for the compliment :)

I'll go straight into answering questions.
COAL wrote:Does anyone have any interest in hip hop music?
A lot of people on this planet, but not so many on these forums imo. I personally am not a big fan of hip hop, rap, but as a music producer I have to keep an open mind and swallow for potential requests. :P
COAL wrote:I have been trying to throw down some beats with Acid Pro but my shit is pretty pathetic.
What seems to be the problem? Are having problems with putting a good sequence together or you don't like the sound samples?
If the problem is
- bad sequence: means you don't have enough experience in production field. You have to watch tutorials, listen, observe, copy, immitate and after a good portion of time you will naturally come up with your own style.
- crappy sound samples: The are so many samples on the net for every type of music, you just have to search.. only a little bit. They're everywhere. You can buy them from any site by searching "hip hop samples" on Google.com or download torrents if you can't afford them right now. There is variety of samples you can download: beats, scratches, vocals, guitars etc.. and usually a mega pack, holding many of those. Each of those packs usually comes divided into so called "Oneshots" and "Loops". And within loops you usually also get an associated "Dr.rex" file for Reason or Fruity Loops equivalent "Slicex" file, which alows you to edit the loop and change tempo. I don't know how much you know about all this.
I'm not familiar with Acid Pro, but in the end it all comes down to how much you've done reseach on the net. Trust me.. Everything you will ever need is out there.

As for your project - I am always enthusiased about music and everything about it. The problem is I don't have a lot of time. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Oh, and good luck with your plans! If you believe and work hard enough, you will succeed. ;)
Thel
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Thel »

^ This guy's got the right idea!

Just to augment what Cypher says, don’t forget to learn proper mix techniques… the best way to learn proper mix techniques is to, not only play around, but learn a thing or two about DSP and psychoacoustics… that knowledge can help you choose the right plug-ins for the job so you can make a conscious effort to improve a mix. I’ll just say that I know a lot of composers who use way too many plug-ins on the mix and most of those plug-ins are irrelevant and just add to the CPU so that’s why Cypher says to use good sound sources, because the better sound sources you use, the less you’ll have to rely on tedious remedial EQ to try to fix the sound. I say don’t trust free sample packs… pay for a good one and you’ll see why commercial tracks sound so good. For hip hop or any breakbeat samples you MUST check out Equipped Music… their sample CDs are amazing and I know of no sample CDs free or not that come even close to the excellence of these ones. Just keep at it and enjoy it.
COAL
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Adventures in Game Development
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64, SNES, NES, Game Boy
Programming Language of Choice: C tic tac toe

Post by COAL »

Thx to all for all your suggestions, although originally with this post I was looking for someone to collaborate with. I realize that I am just not that good. It's not really my focus but I am still messing around with some beats... right now while I should be working in fact. :mrgreen: I just need to keep messing around.
Res Novae
Ninico
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Top Down Shooter
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: Pygame

Post by Ninico »

I suggest getting PXTone its the best music making program ever :lol:. Well it at least works for me. Its in Japanese but delete the Japanese.ico. I suggest saving your project as a PTTUNE if your using C++ or C#. If your using an engine such as MMF2/TGF2/Game Maker, save it as a wav file.
SerenityDivide
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Learning Basic C++ through Mike Dawson's primer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, SNES, Playstation 1 & 2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by SerenityDivide »

One program that I really enjoy using is FL Studio. The initial investment is trivial when considering that they have lifetime free updates and support for their program.

This DAW (in short) or Digital Audio Workstation is convenient to use from my own personal experiences with a little bit of practice.

I'm not saying that your program isn't as convenient to use, but with the beat mapper being so easily accessible, it really shines when it comes to drafting up musical ideas.

Good luck to you with making music. Its definitely a journey without end. Constantly learning and evolving.

And post script, I am not in any way shape or form affiliated with FL Studio or Imageline. Just a musician out there who can appreciate a good program when it comes around.

Keep on. You'll get there with determination :D
newgrounds | youtube
“A person with a new idea is a crank until the idea succeeds.” - Mark Twain
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by k1net1k »

Fruity Loops since v3.0 something.
They just keep sending me versions