Some sprites

Forum for the creative side of the game development process: art, music, storyline, gameplay, concepts, etc. Any sort of relevant discussion is welcome here.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: Some sprites

Post by eatcomics »

cypher1554R wrote:
Lord Pingas wrote:Tell me what you guys think.
Considering that you're 14 and assuming this is your first attempt.. nah.. It's still pretty bad.
Not dickish at all cypher...

and also, You gave no constructive criticism on why it was terrible, you said it sucked, do better, commit more... You didn't say why it sucked, give him some help....

Why was it bad, what would you do to improve, what are some references he could use to make it better, do you know of any online sources that might help him out...
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

When you people stop crying over how harsh I am..
short wrote:I hope you guys are done hijacking his thread.
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by LeonBlade »

cypher1554R wrote:When you people stop crying over how harsh I am..
short wrote:I hope you guys are done hijacking his thread.
Oh well look at you. Quick to defend your own points and back up your own shit.
Then once you're backed up into a corner, you see where you are wrong.

Instead of admitting that you were wrong, and being the better person you could be...
You just tell people to move on and stop saying things, disregarding what just happened.

You're something...
There's no place like ~/
short
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: c++, c
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, PS2, SNES, SNES, PC NES
Programming Language of Choice: c, c++

Post by short »

I honestly hope Lord Pingas continues to post any more work he/she does.
My github repository contains the project I am currently working on,
link: https://github.com/bjadamson
Live-Dimension
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC - Windows 7
Programming Language of Choice: c++;haxe

Post by Live-Dimension »

I agree. Pixel Art RULES!
xiphirx
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: ******** (Unkown for the time being)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC

Post by xiphirx »

It's not bad for a first sprite, you REALLY don't want to see my first sprite, it was worse than yours by a far amount.
StarCraft II Zerg Strategy, open to all levels of players!

Looking for paid work :< Contact me if you are interested in creating a website, need a web design, or anything else you think I'm capable of :)
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

short wrote:I honestly hope Lord Pingas continues to post any more work he/she does.
agreed
Lord Pingas
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Wii

Post by Lord Pingas »

Thanks guys for your support. :D

Oooh, I can't believe I got some fans. ^_^

Don't worry, I'm going to make my own little official thread where I will post some more of my artwork.

Thanks again guys. ^_^
mgold07
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by mgold07 »

For your first attempt it's not too bad, but might I recommend starter with slightly smaller sprites and working on the detail then working up in sizes. For example I started out with small Icons which were about 16 * 16 or 24 * 24. I did this to work on my dithering and quality of my images. Then I worked onto 32 * 32 etc.

Btw
rofl, my friend burtt is a legend :D
Greatness comes once every lifetime, as the nice lord bj proves this, nobody can be great more than once in their lifetime, he had his day, his birth was great. It caused awesomeness to die, and programmers to shudder. For a day that is...

Code: Select all

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/mgold07.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">mgold07.</iframe>
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

thejahooli wrote:
Lord Pingas wrote:It was about 11 at night when I made these.
You think that's late. When I need to finish something in my code, I don't go to bed until it's done (which is usually 6ish in the morning when I pass out from tiredness).
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA freaking men!
wearymemory
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by wearymemory »

I can see how your sprites are similar to pritam's. It seems as though human proportions can be somewhat difficult to capture, and this is evident in some of pritam's (mishapen, IMHO) work. Areas that could use improvement (in pritam's art as well) is to avoid pillow shading, learn to create more realistic-looking hair, and develop the shape and contour of the body. With that said, baggy pants that look like little water droplets coming off an elongated torso isn't very attractive, and should only be attempted by Nicole Richie and Michael Phelps.
pritam
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Amiga, PSOne, NDS

Post by pritam »

wearymemory wrote:I can see how your sprites are similar to pritam's. It seems as though human proportions can be somewhat difficult to capture, and this is evident in some of pritam's (mishapen, IMHO) work. Areas that could use improvement (in pritam's art as well) is to avoid pillow shading, learn to create more realistic-looking hair, and develop the shape and contour of the body.
Yeah, human proportion is difficult to capture (unless you're 'copying' from a photo or whatever) though you seem to forget the pros with super deformed character design. I'm not claiming to be a professional, but I know what I like and don't and apply that to my art. The highly saturated hair is part of the style I applied for ES, it wasn't a "mistake" as well as being very easy to change if I'd decide otherwise. Also I'm not utilizing pillow shading, note difference on pants and belly.
wearymemory wrote:With that said, baggy pants that look like little water droplets coming off an elongated torso isn't very attractive, and should only be attempted by Nicole Richie and Michael Phelps.
Did you just suggest anyone at inferior skill level not to try anything new at all? How the hell does one progress with that kind of mindset?

Mind you, these kind of pants on a lady totally works for me.

But yeah, appreciate the critisism, thanks.
wearymemory
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by wearymemory »

pritam wrote:
wearymemory wrote:I can see how your sprites are similar to pritam's. It seems as though human proportions can be somewhat difficult to capture, and this is evident in some of pritam's (mishapen, IMHO) work. Areas that could use improvement (in pritam's art as well) is to avoid pillow shading, learn to create more realistic-looking hair, and develop the shape and contour of the body.
Yeah, human proportion is difficult to capture (unless you're 'copying' from a photo or whatever) though you seem to forget the pros with super deformed character design. I'm not claiming to be a professional, but I know what I like and don't and apply that to my art. The highly saturated hair is part of the style I applied for ES, it wasn't a "mistake" as well as being very easy to change if I'd decide otherwise. Also I'm not utilizing pillow shading, note difference on pants and belly.
That's only one example of your work, and it looks great, but this wasn't the piece that I was referring to. Keep in mind that I don't have access to any of your newest work, but I was referring to your "jungle man" sprite:
IMHO, I don't see how scoliosis plays in with the pros of "super deformed character design." I understand and promote the use of exaggeration and different styling techniques where it's appropriate, but the body, compared to its head and legs, are skewed to form an awful curvature and offset. But if "super deformed" was what you were looking for, then you certainly achieved it.

And, as I'm sure you're aware, there are different degrees of pillow shading, and not just the blunt example you've shown. The "jungle man's" hair and skirt do look pillow shaded. The hair is also disproportionate, has no depth, and imbalances the sprite due to its overly asymmetrical design.

I'd also like to submit this blatant use of pillow shading, if it's indeed your "touch up" on the right.
While I'll admit that your art is an improvement at a glance, the benefactor of this "touch up" is not really benefiting from your use of pillow shading, when they weren't even applying it in the first place.
pritam wrote:
wearymemory wrote:With that said, baggy pants that look like little water droplets coming off an elongated torso isn't very attractive, and should only be attempted by Nicole Richie and Michael Phelps.
Did you just suggest anyone at inferior skill level not to try anything new at all? How the hell does one progress with that kind of mindset?
Not at all, in fact, my implications were quite literal. Your drawing of the woman has a definitive shape and curve to her lower-body, unlike the OP's (and partially yours) which wasn't translated as well into pixel art.
pritam wrote:Mind you, these kind of pants on a lady totally works for me.
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

But yeah, appreciate the critisism, thanks.
Yeah, I wanna get me some parachute pants too, mang!
pritam
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Amiga, PSOne, NDS

Post by pritam »

wearymemory wrote:
pritam wrote:
That's only one example of your work, and it looks great, but this wasn't the piece that I was referring to. Keep in mind that I don't have access to any of your newest work, but I was referring to your "jungle man" sprite:
IMHO, I don't see how scoliosis plays in with the pros of "super deformed character design." I understand and promote the use of exaggeration and different styling techniques where it's appropriate, but the body, compared to its head and legs, are skewed to form an awful curvature and offset. But if "super deformed" was what you were looking for, then you certainly achieved it.
Thanks for taking what I said out of context. Also how the fuck is that scoliosis? It's a fucking pose, agreed one leg needs to be adjusted.
wearymemory wrote:And, as I'm sure you're aware, there are different degrees of pillow shading, and not just the blunt example you've shown. The "jungle man's" hair and skirt do look pillow shaded. The hair is also disproportionate, has no depth, and imbalances the sprite due to its overly asymmetrical design.
It's the start of the sprite, get over it.
Edit: And yeah, there are different degrees of pillow shading, but there is a big fucking difference in pillow shading and the shading in BOTH the hair and the skirt. By your definition of pillow shading EVERYTHING is pillow shading.
wearymemory wrote:I'd also like to submit this blatant use of pillow shading, if it's indeed your "touch up" on the right.
While I'll admit that your art is an improvement at a glance, the benefactor of this "touch up" is not really benefiting from your use of pillow shading, when they weren't even applying it in the first place.
Agreed, it is ugly as fuck and I could've done better.
wearymemory wrote:
pritam wrote:
Not at all, in fact, my implications were quite literal. Your drawing of the woman has a definitive shape and curve to her lower-body, unlike the OP's (and partially yours) which wasn't translated as well into pixel art.
Please rephrase that first statement.

Next time please point out what you are refering to.
wearymemory
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by wearymemory »

pritam wrote:
wearymemory wrote:That's only one example of your work, and it looks great, but this wasn't the piece that I was referring to. Keep in mind that I don't have access to any of your newest work, but I was referring to your "jungle man" sprite:
Thanks for taking what I said out of context. Also how the fuck is that scoliosis? It's a fucking pose, agreed one leg needs to be adjusted.
If so, then it's an unnatural pose that results in a disfigured anatomy. Maybe he's the missing link. Maybe he can't stand up straight without looking like he has muscular dystrophy due to his recent evolution. As I'm not the creator of this piece, I'm being drawn directly to what I believe stands out the most, and to me, it's the angle and displacement of it's upper body compared to its legs and head which are both pointing forwards.
pritam wrote:
wearymemory wrote:And, as I'm sure you're aware, there are different degrees of pillow shading, and not just the blunt example you've shown. The "jungle man's" hair and skirt do look pillow shaded. The hair is also disproportionate, has no depth, and imbalances the sprite due to its overly asymmetrical design.
It's the start of the sprite, get over it.
I retrieved the image from this post, and it didn't state that it was a "start of the sprite." In fact, you offered it up as a reference, which could confuse the reader into believing that it was a completed and historical piece of ES artwork. Get over it? You shouldn't be so defensive or hostile to someone who is providing constructive suggestions; your immaturity is showing.
pritam wrote:Edit: And yeah, there are different degrees of pillow shading, but there is a big fucking difference in pillow shading and the shading in BOTH the hair and the skirt. By your definition of pillow shading EVERYTHING is pillow shading.
The reason for my pillow shading-accusations are due to the depthless and poorly shaded result that is often the outcome of pillow shading that is present in your sprite. If it was appropriate and integrated nicely with the rest of the artwork, then I wouldn't have made the comment.
pritam wrote:
wearymemory wrote:
pritam wrote:
Please rephrase that first statement.
To cope with your language barrier? The structure of my first sentence is fine. I stated that I was not discouraging people to try new things, and that what I said, should be taken literally, and by literally, I meant that the OP should pay closer attention to anatomy.
pritam wrote:Next time please point out what you are refering to.
My suggestions were made in general, and were directed at the minimal amount of your artwork that is publicly available. You should have taken my words with a grain of salt, rather than impeded me with a childish response that uses the word fuck every other sentence. Fuck.
Last edited by wearymemory on Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.