3D modeling

Forum for the creative side of the game development process: art, music, storyline, gameplay, concepts, etc. Any sort of relevant discussion is welcome here.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

EdEown
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C#

3D modeling

Post by EdEown »

So if someone is 3D modeler.
Does he have to know:

Some programing ? less or more ?
Animation ? less or more?
3d modeling (I knwo this :D)
Drawing texture? less or more?

Can good 3D modelere also know how to be a good programer?
I kind of realy like both. If I do 3D modeling I miss programing
If I want programing I miss 3D modeling :x
"There is nothing either good or bad, but our thinking makes it so"
Lord Pingas
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Wii
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: 3D modeling

Post by Lord Pingas »

Sure you can do modeling while still being a good programmer!

I enjoy programming but I love to design and make up characters and such. Anyone can do more than one things... You just got to put your mind to it.
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC

Post by GroundUpEngine »

In 3D game devving, modelling is just one of the roles needed.
But as a hybrid (programmer/modeller) your better of I think, I myself really enjoy making meshes and characters but with the ability to use programming to load/bring the characters to life in a game feels great!

You can be great at both trust, and when you get bored of one you can just do the other. :lol:
EdEown
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by EdEown »

GroundUpEngine wrote:In 3D game devving, modelling is just one of the roles needed.
But as a hybrid (programmer/modeller) your better of I think, I myself really enjoy making meshes and characters but with the ability to use programming to load/bring the characters to life in a game feels great!

You can be great at both trust, and when you get bored of one you can just do the other. :lol:

But in real game programing, in industries you dont see person which does 3D mdoeling and programing at same time.

For me it kinds of fits together perfectly.
Lord Pingas
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Lord Pingas »

EdEown wrote:
GroundUpEngine wrote:In 3D game devving, modelling is just one of the roles needed.

But in real game programing, in industries you dont see person which does 3D mdoeling and programing at same time.

For me it kinds of fits together perfectly.
My good sir. What indie developers are doing is real game programming...
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by GroundUpEngine »

Lord Pingas wrote: My good sir. What indie developers are doing is real game programming...
This. :roll:
EdEown
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by EdEown »

GroundUpEngine wrote:
Lord Pingas wrote: My good sir. What indie developers are doing is real game programming...
Yea but what about large companies. While having large RPG for example. Do they have people in their teams
which do, programing and modeling in same time?
Lord Pingas
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Lord Pingas »

EdEown wrote:
GroundUpEngine wrote:
Yea but what about large companies. While having large RPG for example. Do they have people in their teams
I doubt it. I don't know shit about how the industries work unfortunately. :lol:
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by GroundUpEngine »

EdEown wrote: Yea but what about large companies. While having large RPG for example. Do they have people in their teams
Nah not likely but It's really up to you if you wannt to focus on one more than the other, personally I am better at programming than the art side of game devving but that was my choice to be like that.

If your more of a technical and logical person that likes knowing how things tick, solving tasks and building solutions
- focus more on programming, engine programming, graphics programming, etc..

If your more of an artistic and creative person that likes thinking up good ideas, game design, general art
- focus more on pixel art, 3D modelling, drawing, texturing, etc..

jus my 2 cents ;)
thejahooli
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by thejahooli »

You should work on both as I think that they will both look good even when trying to get a job as a programmer or modeller. The more you know about what other people in your team are doing the better a team you will be, that's why Falco recommended this in his "Where To Begin" videos.
I'll make your software hardware.
jonemartin
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by jonemartin »

You can make money off of just the 3D models. If you are good at designing unique sports cars for example, or maybe architecture is your thing. Purchasing a copy of 3D Studio Max would be very well worth it. You really do not need to make the textures either, just the mesh model itself for a high poly WWII U-boat, would sell for $200.00 or $300.00 USD at Turbo Squid.com. The fact is, the professional game studios browse at TurboSquid making purchases all the time. They look specifically for models from the above softwares as well as, LightWave, Cinema 4D and CAD architectural software..

Thanks.
K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by K-Bal »

jonemartin wrote:You can make money off of just the 3D models. If you are good at designing unique sports cars for example, or maybe architecture is your thing. Purchasing a copy of 3D Studio Max would be very well worth it. You really do not need to make the textures either, just the mesh model itself for a high poly WWII U-boat, would sell for $200.00 or $300.00 USD at Turbo Squid.com. The fact is, the professional game studios browse at TurboSquid making purchases all the time. They look specifically for models from the above softwares as well as, LightWave, Cinema 4D and CAD architectural software..

Thanks.
Bot-strike the second.
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by hurstshifter »

K-Bal wrote:
jonemartin wrote:You can make money off of just the 3D models. If you are good at designing unique sports cars for example, or maybe architecture is your thing. Purchasing a copy of 3D Studio Max would be very well worth it. You really do not need to make the textures either, just the mesh model itself for a high poly WWII U-boat, would sell for $200.00 or $300.00 USD at Turbo Squid.com. The fact is, the professional game studios browse at TurboSquid making purchases all the time. They look specifically for models from the above softwares as well as, LightWave, Cinema 4D and CAD architectural software..

Thanks.
Bot-strike the second.
He's a sly one he is
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
Mr. Achie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Basic 2d game engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Playstation 1
Programming Language of Choice: C++, Java

Post by Mr. Achie »

Lol, I was just looking at RockstarGames' Job listing, and their was an artist needed. At the ''requirement'' thing, it says ''must have some programming skills/experience''. It doesnt have to be always like that ofcourse, but you must remember that it is an advantage to know more and more. :)
A Techninal Artist for example, MUST have some modeling and programming experience.
MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Octopia
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1-3, Genesis, Dreamcast, SNES, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++,Java,Py,LUA,XML
Location: C:\\United States of America\Utah\West Valley City\Neighborhood\House\Computer Desk

Post by MadPumpkin »

If you want a job in it, it really depends. For example most jobs will either want you to be able to animate, model AND texture, just animate or just model. Basically most people I have talked to that did professional work on movies were required to mainly be ABLE to do all 3 even if they weren't necessarily doing all 3.
While Jesus equipped with angels, the Devil's equipped with cops
For God so loved the world that he blessed the thugs with rock