Direct _

Forum for the creative side of the game development process: art, music, storyline, gameplay, concepts, etc. Any sort of relevant discussion is welcome here.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

EdEown
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C#

Direct _

Post by EdEown »

I would like to know something about Direct 10 or any...does not matter.

I dont really understand what does it have to do with game development. What do they mean by " Game will be using Direct 10"
Do I model something in 3Ds max for example and than using Direct 10 somehow make details on your model from 3D max better and graphics.
Or somehow else.

I am begginer in C# and I would like to know eaven if I dont need it now...just to see what is waiting me.

thanks aloot :D:D :bow:
"There is nothing either good or bad, but our thinking makes it so"
Milch
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Direct _

Post by Milch »

DirectX is a windows api for displaying graphics on your monitor.
So it tells your graphic card what to render and how.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX
Last edited by Milch on Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter!
EdEown
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by EdEown »

Milch wrote:DirectX is a windows api for displaying graphics on your monitor.
So it renders the playermodel for you, your world,...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX
It basically makes graphics from my game better, it do a job for me ?
ivan
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by ivan »

i thought directx was like a commercial version of opengl or something...
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by hurstshifter »

ivan wrote:i thought directx was like a commercial version of opengl or something...
Partially true. DirectX is a complete set of multimedia APIs. So it has the capability of handling input(DirectInput), sound(DirectSound), graphics rendering(Direct3d, DirectDraw), and other things that I can't think of right now (I assume networking is one of these but I have never used DirectX so correct me if I am wrong). DirectX is a Microsoft proprietary multimedia toolset for Windows/Xbox in a nutshell.

EDIT: From the wiki vvv :)

The components of DirectX are

* DirectX Graphics, which consists of several APIs:
o DirectDraw: for drawing 2D Graphics (raster graphics). Now deprecated (in favor of Direct2D), though still in use by a number of games and as a video renderer in media applications.
o Direct3D (D3D): for drawing 3D graphics.
o DXGI: for enumerating adapters and monitors and managing swap chains for Direct3D 10 and up.
o Direct2D for 2D Graphics
o DirectWrite for Fonts
* DirectCompute for GPU Computing
* DirectInput: for interfacing with input devices including keyboards, mice, joysticks, or other game controllers. Deprecated after version 8 in favor of XInput for Xbox 360 controllers or standard WM INPUT window message processing for keyboard and mouse input.
* DirectPlay: for communication over a local-area or wide-area network. Deprecated after version 8.
* DirectSound: for the playback and recording of waveform sounds.
o DirectSound3D (DS3D): for the playback of 3D sounds.
* DirectMusic: for playback of soundtracks authored in DirectMusic Producer.
* DirectX Media: comprising DirectAnimation for 2D/3D[20] web animation, DirectShow for multimedia playback and streaming media, DirectX Transform for web interactivity, and Direct3D Retained Mode for higher level 3D graphics. DirectShow contains DirectX plugins for audio signal processing and DirectX Video Acceleration for accelerated video playback.
* DirectX Diagnostics (DxDiag): a tool for diagnosing and generating reports on components related to DirectX, such as audio, video, and input drivers.
* DirectX Media Objects: support for streaming objects such as encoders, decoders, and effects.
* DirectSetup: for the installation of DirectX components, and the detection of the current DirectX version.

DirectX functionality is provided in the form of COM-style objects and interfaces. Additionally, while not DirectX components themselves, managed objects have been built on top of some parts of DirectX, such as Managed Direct3D [21] and the XNA graphics library [22] on top of Direct3D 9.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
EdEown
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by EdEown »

hurstshifter wrote:
ivan wrote:i thought directx was like a commercial version of opengl or something...
Partially true. DirectX is a complete set of multimedia APIs. So it has the capability of handling input(DirectInput), sound(DirectSound), graphics rendering(Direct3d, DirectDraw), and other things that I can't think of right now (I assume networking is one of these but I have never used DirectX so correct me if I am wrong). DirectX is a Microsoft proprietary multimedia toolset for Windows/Xbox in a nutshell.

EDIT: From the wiki vvv :)

The components of DirectX are

* DirectX Graphics, which consists of several APIs:
o DirectDraw: for drawing 2D Graphics (raster graphics). Now deprecated (in favor of Direct2D), though still in use by a number of games and as a video renderer in media applications.
o Direct3D (D3D): for drawing 3D graphics.
o DXGI: for enumerating adapters and monitors and managing swap chains for Direct3D 10 and up.
o Direct2D for 2D Graphics
o DirectWrite for Fonts
* DirectCompute for GPU Computing
* DirectInput: for interfacing with input devices including keyboards, mice, joysticks, or other game controllers. Deprecated after version 8 in favor of XInput for Xbox 360 controllers or standard WM INPUT window message processing for keyboard and mouse input.
* DirectPlay: for communication over a local-area or wide-area network. Deprecated after version 8.
* DirectSound: for the playback and recording of waveform sounds.
o DirectSound3D (DS3D): for the playback of 3D sounds.
* DirectMusic: for playback of soundtracks authored in DirectMusic Producer.
* DirectX Media: comprising DirectAnimation for 2D/3D[20] web animation, DirectShow for multimedia playback and streaming media, DirectX Transform for web interactivity, and Direct3D Retained Mode for higher level 3D graphics. DirectShow contains DirectX plugins for audio signal processing and DirectX Video Acceleration for accelerated video playback.
* DirectX Diagnostics (DxDiag): a tool for diagnosing and generating reports on components related to DirectX, such as audio, video, and input drivers.
* DirectX Media Objects: support for streaming objects such as encoders, decoders, and effects.
* DirectSetup: for the installation of DirectX components, and the detection of the current DirectX version.

DirectX functionality is provided in the form of COM-style objects and interfaces. Additionally, while not DirectX components themselves, managed objects have been built on top of some parts of DirectX, such as Managed Direct3D [21] and the XNA graphics library [22] on top of Direct3D 9.

I can read to :P...xD
But noone answerd my question.. :mrgreen:
How does it improve graphics..I took Direct for example..you can talk about OpenGL if you want..xD
but how does it make your graphic better (do you have to code..AGAIN)..or you just input your models and it makes them better automatically..xD
ivan
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by ivan »

umm i dont know much about directx.
But i think of opengl as just a bunch of libraries that handle input and 3d output.
It doesnt make your graphics better, it renders your 3d graphics.
(i'm correct, right?)
TheFinalFanatic
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC

Post by TheFinalFanatic »

ivan wrote:umm i dont know much about directx.
But i think of opengl as just a bunch of libraries that handle input and 3d output.
(i'm correct, right?)
You are. DirectX simply gives you the ability to render your 3d graphics to the screen. So, say you've made your model, you would have to use DirectX to load the model into your program and display it on screen.

EDIT: As well as giving you libraries for sound and input etc. which has been mentioned before.
M_D_K
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by M_D_K »

(i'm correct, right?)
Half right, OpenGL is *just* rendering. DirectX is Input, rendering, sound, etc.
Direct3D is the rendering part of DirectX (DirectSound is sound, etc).
Gyro Sheen wrote:you pour their inventory onto my life
IRC wrote: <sparda> The routine had a stack overflow, sorry.
<sparda> Apparently the stack was full of shit.
EdEown
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by EdEown »

M_D_K wrote:
(i'm correct, right?)
Half right, OpenGL is *just* rendering. DirectX is Input, rendering, sound, etc.
Okk so this is what I wanted to know ..thanks

So it just renders them not improve them. Why do they show on youtube how Direct 11 has so many details then Direct 10.
Does that mean some older Direct will make your graphic worse than your model ?

tnaks
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES

Post by hurstshifter »

EdEown wrote:
How does it improve graphics..I took Direct for example..you can talk about OpenGL if you want..xD
but how does it make your graphic better (do you have to code..AGAIN)..or you just input your models and it makes them better automatically..xD
Your question was not "does it make graphics better?" it was "what does directX have to do with game development. And the simple answer to that question is that DirectX is a set of APIs that interfaces with Windows and your hardware to allow graphics, sound, input, networking, etc... It is effectively the backbone of your game (if you choose to use DirectX for development). You don't just apply directX to your game to "improve graphics". You use directX functionality throughout the entire development process to make the game.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
EdEown
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by EdEown »

hurstshifter wrote:
EdEown wrote:
Your question was not "does it make graphics better?" it was "what does directX have to do with game development. And the simple answer to that question is that DirectX is a set of APIs that interfaces with Windows and your hardware to allow graphics, sound, input, networking, etc... It is effectively the backbone of your game (if you choose to use DirectX for development). You don't just apply directX to your game to "improve graphics". You use directX functionality throughout the entire development process to make the game.
okk thanks :D...I think I got it :P

btw "Do I model something in 3Ds max for example and than using Direct 10 somehow make details on your model from 3D max better and graphics.
Or somehow else." 8-) 8-) 8-)
EdEown
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by EdEown »

M_D_K wrote:
(i'm correct, right?)

Here look at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR40GwRtFyw

creazy men !
Milch
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Milch »

I dont get this video.
Its like: "DirectX11 has waaaayy more polygons than DirectX10"
So whats the point with DirectX11? More polygons - less fps?
Can someone please explain this to me?
Follow me on twitter!
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture

Post by GroundUpEngine »

Milch wrote:I dont get this video.
Its like: "DirectX11 has waaaayy more polygons than DirectX10"
So whats the point with DirectX11? More polygons - less fps?
Can someone please explain this to me?
I think that video just shows off DirectX11 rendering more polygons than DirectX10 due to better hardware acceleration, resulting in more smooth and detailed objects. Also it shows off DirectX11 having better texture detail than DirectX10 because of better use of advanced graphics techniques like Parallax Mapping -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax_mapping, which again relies on the hardware to pull of fancy calculations. On another note, DirectX11 is designed for a new generation of graphics cards and operating systems i.e. Windows Vista and 7.

OpenGL still pwnz! :lol: :lol: :lol: