Where to start with game content...

Forum for the creative side of the game development process: art, music, storyline, gameplay, concepts, etc. Any sort of relevant discussion is welcome here.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

zNelson24
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: School assignments.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C#, BASIC

Where to start with game content...

Post by zNelson24 »

I have been coding in C# for about a year. I have other ideas for simple games, but I don't know where to start with game content. I have the software, I just want to make more than 'programmer art' (no, I'm not looking for those OMFG awsome graphics, just stuff thats legible).

Anyone know where I should start? Thanks!
-zNelson24

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Where to start with game content...

Post by Falco Girgis »

Actually, yeah. That's kind of the same position that we were in with Elysian Shadows. We had been working on the engine and editor for fuck knows how long. We wanted to finally start on something that we could call the actual game. The thing that probably helped the most was when we sat down and decided that we were going to make the first town.

Even if we didn't have all of the graphics done, all of the music composed, or even code implemented, it gave us a basis to work with. Now we can use this town to lead to other areas. It also shows us what else we need. The town needs a shop? So we code it up. The town needs music? We compose it. The town needs more art? We get on it. We can always see/play through something that needs to be done in this manner.
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Moosader »

If you yourself can't really do graphics that you like, you'll either have to find someone reliable to do graphics for you, find public domain resources, or rip stuff from other games.

Ripping sprites/graphics from other games is probably the easiest, there are tons of resources for that sort of stuff. The other two are a bit harder.

Here are a few sites for public domain graphics, I don't know many:
http://www.flyingyogi.com/fun/spritelib.html

http://lostgarden.com/2006/07/more-free ... phics.html

http://wiki.allegro.cc/index.php?title=Graphics_Depot

And you can also find public domain music if you can't find anyone to write stuff.

And then I have some on my site:

http://moosader.com/pdgraphics.html

I'll take requests for stuff if ye want, since it's hard to sit down and just draw graphics for general purpose.

I might also advise checking out RPG Maker resource communities. Some things are original, some are edited, some are straight rips, but it can be better than nothing.
ibly31
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Like... seven different ones
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360, Gamecube
Programming Language of Choice: C++, ObjC

Post by ibly31 »

About the ripping: Is that illegal? If you ever tried to sell the game, couldn't the game developers sue you for using the sprites? Then again, why would you sell something that isn't completely your work, and who would buy it?
Twitter
Website/Tumblr
My Projects

The best thing about UDP jokes is that I don’t care if you get them or not.
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Moosader »

ibly31 wrote:About the ripping: Is that illegal? If you ever tried to sell the game, couldn't the game developers sue you for using the sprites? Then again, why would you sell something that isn't completely your work, and who would buy it?
Yeah, you definitely can't sell anything with sprites that belong to another game. And specifically, it's also probably illegal to make games with ripped sprites, but there are tons of that, especially with amateur games, that it doesn't matter so much. If you're beginning with game programming and making sample Breakout and Pickin' Sticks games, there's not really any harm in using sprites from elseware.

There are some graphics that are public to use so long as the project isn't sold, and then with public domain you can pretty much do whatever you want.
zNelson24
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: School assignments.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C#, BASIC

Post by zNelson24 »

Thinks for the tips! I'll go look at those sites later.
Moosader wrote:
ibly31 wrote:About the ripping: Is that illegal? If you ever tried to sell the game, couldn't the game developers sue you for using the sprites? Then again, why would you sell something that isn't completely your work, and who would buy it?
Yeah, you definitely can't sell anything with sprites that belong to another game. And specifically, it's also probably illegal to make games with ripped sprites, but there are tons of that, especially with amateur games, that it doesn't matter so much. If you're beginning with game programming and making sample Breakout and Pickin' Sticks games, there's not really any harm in using sprites from elseware.

There are some graphics that are public to use so long as the project isn't sold, and then with public domain you can pretty much do whatever you want.
Ripped sprites would problably be swell in experiments, but I would have it all replaced with original material on the complete product. I just used blocks for PONG Clone (nothing fancy, stuff a 5 year old can do in Paint).
-zNelson24

zeid
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by zeid »

Avoid using ripped sprites. For exactly the reasons mentioned, that's someone elses work and some company has hired them to make it. I can understand people using ripped sprites for experimenting, but don't show it to anyone if you do and I can't say that I support that use of someone elses art. Every artist has their own opinion on their works and how they are used and no self respecting games company will want you using their graphics in your own projects. Personally I wouldn't mind people using my art in experiments, etc. even if they were shown in constructural videos, however if my art was included in the final product without my permision/concent I would be pretty annoyed and likely ask them to remove/replace it.

The reason why I say avoid them altogether is if you do accidentally leave one in a game you make, even something as simple as a ground tile, and then release the game expect some unpleasant feedback and possible legal action. I see alot of ripping sites asking for credit for having, essentially stealing and distributing other peoples work without ever mentioning the artist responsible for the work in the first place, fairly ironic really. If you are going to use 'free' sprites, find sites/people who actually distribute free art.

If you are just making a breakout clone or something simple like that I could put together some sprites for you in a few minutes with a little info. on dimensions, style, etc.
Axolotl Pop!
Or, try it for free.

For many more free games online visit www.sam-zeid.com
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

I'm pretty sure that I completely misunderstood the point of this topic. It's not quite as cool as I thought. XD
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

GyroVorbis wrote:I'm pretty sure that I completely misunderstood the point of this topic. It's not quite as cool as I thought. XD
I liked the way you took it better. :)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted: