What Should I use to start??

Forum for the creative side of the game development process: art, music, storyline, gameplay, concepts, etc. Any sort of relevant discussion is welcome here.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: What Should I use to start??

Post by dandymcgee »

hurstshifter wrote:Considering C++ is a superset of C, it would make sense to me to learn C before C++.
Well I suppose that depends on how you look at it. This idea itself has caused plenty of debates (another of which we don't need ;)).
hurstshifter wrote:While you do not need to know C to learn C++ from the ground up, it would be nice to have that foundation.
I'll agree with that. :)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
jtst1
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by jtst1 »

Hey everyone, I'm the guy that he's gonna be working with. I really didn't know if he should start with c++ lue or anything. So we both want to work on 2d tile based games, what should we BOTH be learning. I'm learning C++
When One learns to Love, One must bear the risk of Hatred.
K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by K-Bal »

hurstshifter wrote: I don't want to start a procedural vs. OO debate here though so I'll keep my mouth shut :) .
I don't either, I was just trying to say that you don't have to learn C to learn C++. It won't give you any advantage because you can learn C++ directly. I.e. why should I bother learning to use printf and scanf when I can have streams which are a far superior concept that is not more complicated?

jtst1: If you are both just beginning with programming you should consider that making a team to dev a game needs a lot of experience. Maybe you two just learn some C++ in the next few months and do little own projects like Rachel's Pickin Sticks. With that experience you will save yourself a lot of frustration. However, I don't want to disencourage you, just go ahead if you feel like it.
jtst1
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by jtst1 »

K-Bal wrote:
hurstshifter wrote: I don't want to start a procedural vs. OO debate here though so I'll keep my mouth shut :) .
I don't either, I was just trying to say that you don't have to learn C to learn C++. It won't give you any advantage because you can learn C++ directly. I.e. why should I bother learning to use printf and scanf when I can have streams which are a far superior concept that is not more complicated?

jtst1: If you are both just beginning with programming you should consider that making a team to dev a game needs a lot of experience. Maybe you two just learn some C++ in the next few months and do little own projects like Rachel's Pickin Sticks. With that experience you will save yourself a lot of frustration. However, I don't want to disencourage you, just go ahead if you feel like it.

Yeah I was thinking that, I figured we won't be able to make something substantial with each other for a while. Was just wondering what we need to learn for the future, besides c++.
Pickzell
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Pickzell »

Who would of thought this would turn into a huge argument just like every other simple question on this forum :lol:
I'm an altogether bad-natured Cupid.
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by hurstshifter »

Pickzell wrote:Who would of thought this would turn into a huge argument just like every other simple question on this forum :lol:
I would hardly call this an argument. It was barely even a short debate.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
RyanPridgeon
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: "Triangle"
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by RyanPridgeon »

K-Bal wrote:Maybe you two just learn some C++ in the next few months and do little own projects like Rachel's Pickin Sticks.
I agree with this - if you both dont know what you're doing, it will be a mess. You need to spend some alone time to get familiar with the language and flow of making a game, making small games and learning the ins and outs of the language and API.
Ryan Pridgeon
C, C++, C#, Java, ActionScript 3, HaXe, PHP, VB.Net, Pascal
Music | Blog
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

jtst1 wrote:Hey everyone, I'm the guy that he's gonna be working with. I really didn't know if he should start with c++ lue or anything. So we both want to work on 2d tile based games, what should we BOTH be learning. I'm learning C++
I recommend he does the same. With both of you learning the same language it will make it a hundred times easier to collaborate.
Although you may not start off with something tile-based, you could still try some smaller projects together for instance, "let's see who can make the coolest version of arkanoid". Afterwards you could share code with each other, see who did what best, and just have someone who understands the process to talk with.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
RoJaMi
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by RoJaMi »

Yeah I am going to learn C++ then.
I took a class of java my sophomore year, but that was two years ago.
Last edited by RoJaMi on Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

RoJaMi wrote:Yeah I am going to learn C== then.
I took a class of java my sophomore year, but that was two years ago.
Even so that would put you in an even better position as far as basic programming concepts. Go all out, if it ends up being too much then pull back a bit. ;)
jtst1
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by jtst1 »

dandymcgee wrote:
jtst1 wrote:Hey everyone, I'm the guy that he's gonna be working with. I really didn't know if he should start with c++ lue or anything. So we both want to work on 2d tile based games, what should we BOTH be learning. I'm learning C++
I recommend he does the same. With both of you learning the same language it will make it a hundred times easier to collaborate.
Although you may not start off with something tile-based, you could still try some smaller projects together for instance, "let's see who can make the coolest version of arkanoid". Afterwards you could share code with each other, see who did what best, and just have someone who understands the process to talk with.
That's what I was thinking, that way we could find different methods and things. Thanks for the advice as all ways :mrgreen: .
RoJaMi
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by RoJaMi »

Thank you guys for your help.