Free, open-source alternative to Fruity Loops

Forum for the creative side of the game development process: art, music, storyline, gameplay, concepts, etc. Any sort of relevant discussion is welcome here.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Big Grizzle
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: 2d side scrolling shooter.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: The SNES rules all!!! Super Aleste baby!
Programming Language of Choice: Python

Re: Free, open-source alternative to Fruity Loops

Post by Big Grizzle »

avansc wrote:
Thel wrote:Sure, well, I don't have time for this riff-raff so you keep doing what you do best and I'll keep doing what I do best and we'll see who makes more of a success of their career.
sure sure.. so what you are saying is you are not man enough to apologize for your slander against ES.. say what you want about me... i dont care.. but why insult them?
0_o

When did Thel insult them?
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - Leonardo da Vinci
http://caveofgrizzle.blogspot.com/
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Moosader »

Here's why I'm having difficulty understanding what you guys consider a composer and not a composer...:
Jaus: I sadly do agree it is not composing
Rach: I dont' get it though. He plays stuff on the keyboard
Rach: then uses a computer to add loops and such
Jaus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNHtbw4Kyf0
Rach: is it because he doesn't play the entire song on his own?
Jaus: that is musical composition
Rach: I don't understand how one way of stringing notes togehter is different from another
Rach: It's not like he's using pre-made instrumentation, it's bits he's writing himself
Jaus: I see your arguement
Rach: I'm just confused as to where the line lies
Rach: am I a composer?
Jaus: by definition
Jaus: must be completely original
Jaus: acorrding to wikipedia
Rach: Is he using nonoriginal bits?
Jaus: I'll explain when I have a buit more time , I have 25 minutes to turn this in lol
Rach: ah, alright
So I still don't have my answer. If a composer, by definition, is purely someone who makes original music, then what does it matter what tools are used?

So, if he is indeed not a composer, and indeed something else... Well what's wrong with that? Why are you guys all attacking him for choice of words? He "Creates" music, whether he completely uses a software program and inputs notes manually, or plays each bit he uses in the piece and then loops them together, or plays them completely on his keyboard. It's still just as useful. There are different genres of music, and especially for games. What's it matter?
Bakkon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Bakkon »

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/composer
Dictionary.com wrote: comâ‹…posâ‹…er
1. a person or thing that composes.
2. a person who writes music.
3. an author.
Jaus is being an elitist.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

well them im a composer as well... i got garage band.

if you go by pure definition.... you will devalue anything and everything..

carpenter : a woodworker who makes or repairs wooden objects ... yeah im a carpenter. ive made furniture.
mason : a person who dresses stones or bricks... sure ive done that im a mason.
electrician : a person who installs, operates, maintains, or repairs electric devices or electrical wiring... sure i do that around the house. im an electrician.
horticulturist : the cultivation of a garden, orchard, or nursery; the cultivation of flowers, fruits, vegetables, or ornamental plants.... sure ive planted tomatoes.. im a horticulturist.
preacher : a person who preaches.yep im that as well..
teacher : a person who teaches or instructs, esp. as a profession; instructor... i dont do it as a profession.. but im a teacher.

i guess you see where im going with this... yes in the strictest definition of the word you can be pretty much anything you wanna call yourself..

but whatever.. sure call your self a composer.. i still remain that the greats would roll over in their graves if the knew what a composer is by todays standards.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Moosader »

So then, are some of us not really "programmers", even though we do it as a hobby, because we don't do it as a profession, or are not necessarily the "Greats"?
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

Moosader wrote:So then, are some of us not really "programmers", even though we do it as a hobby, because we don't do it as a profession, or are not necessarily the "Greats"?
do you really consider someone who can use a loop to print hello jews out x number of times a programmer?
you are starting to see the picture.. altho there arent really greats in programming.
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Moosader »

Well, I consider myself a programmer, whether or not any of you do. :P

And, I consider anyone who makes a game in MMF or Game Maker a Designer, in all respects. There are plenty of Indies who use that stuff and make neat games, there's no reason they don't deserve that title because they use tools
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

Moosader wrote:Well, I consider myself a programmer, whether or not any of you do. :P

And, I consider anyone who makes a game in MMF or Game Maker a Designer, in all respects. There are plenty of Indies who use that stuff and make neat games, there's no reason they don't deserve that title because they use tools
you are a programmer.

but the disparity in what current "comPOSERS" and mozart, bach, beethoven made. is like night and day. its like calling both queen and this dude, http://www.metacafe.com/watch/394947/am ... _audition/ singers. yes this guy "sings" but he is not what you would call a singer.
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Moosader »

avansc wrote:
Moosader wrote:Well, I consider myself a programmer, whether or not any of you do. :P

you are a programmer.

but the disparity in what current "comPOSERS" and mozart, bach, beethoven made. is like night and day. its like calling both queen and this dude, http://www.metacafe.com/watch/394947/am ... _audition/ singers. yes this guy "sings" but he is not what you would call a singer.
Alright, so apparently Composer seems to depend upon skill level, as well as one's own personal tastes. Thel's stuff sounds alright, so why isn't he a composer?

And again, why does it even matter?
Pickzell
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Pickzell »

Moosader wrote:
avansc wrote:

you are a programmer.

Alright, so apparently Composer seems to depend upon skill level, as well as one's own personal tastes. Thel's stuff sounds alright, so why isn't he a composer?

And again, why does it even matter?
Well first off
So anyone who programs in a language easier than C++ isn't a programmer?
Because he is.

Can we end the thread now?
I'm an altogether bad-natured Cupid.
Thel
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Thel »

Why slag off Garage Band? It's actually the same as any DAW it's just not as advanced. You can plug-in instruments and effects and compose a 100% original track or just use loops but yeah I don't call someone who just uses loops a composer. By the way I know loops from sample CDs used in tracks on FFX-2 and FFXII. Allow me to emphasize that I rarely use loops and I'll always chop them and process them in a way to get an original sound. It's just about having a sound source that you can use. I also own a sample set for orchestral samples (one-note samples) that I can trigger using MIDI. You see I don't have the luxury of an orchestra playing my music so I have to do w/o. And avansc you're the poser here just look at your avatar.
Last edited by Thel on Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

Yeah.. Insults are very unnecessary. I wouldn't mess with komrade avansc :)
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

i assumed you are calling me ugly? or what a poser looks like...
maybe you are saying im posing in the pic..?
Pickzell
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Pickzell »

Thel wrote:And avansc you're the poser here just look at your avatar.
His avatar is a face-portrait; it's is more relevant than yours...

Why aren't you calling Gyrovorbis a poser if he has a face portrait for his avatar?

I don't even understand why this makes him a poser in any way.
I'm an altogether bad-natured Cupid.
Thel
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Thel »

Because I respect Falco.