Free, open-source alternative to Fruity Loops

Forum for the creative side of the game development process: art, music, storyline, gameplay, concepts, etc. Any sort of relevant discussion is welcome here.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Pickzell
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Re: Free, open-source alternative to Fruity Loops

Post by Pickzell »

avansc wrote:
Thel wrote:I beg to differ. Those guys were classically trained from a young age. No-one is born a composer.

okay. well to give you perspective, beethoven composed some of the most beautiful music when he was completely deaf. you try that.
I'm going to argue against this point. Beethoven WENT deaf, he wasn't BORN deaf. By the time he became deaf he was well enough trained in music to play by ear(the phrase "play by ear" isn't the correct wording, but oh well) so when he thought of music in his head, he could decipher it and write it down. However had he been born deaf, his music would probably suck, or not exist.
I'm an altogether bad-natured Cupid.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

Pickzell wrote:
avansc wrote:
Thel wrote:I beg to differ. Those guys were classically trained from a young age. No-one is born a composer.

okay. well to give you perspective, beethoven composed some of the most beautiful music when he was completely deaf. you try that.
I'm going to argue against this point. Beethoven WENT deaf, he wasn't BORN deaf. By the time he became deaf he was well enough trained in music to play by ear(the phrase "play by ear" isn't the correct wording, but oh well) so when he thought of music in his head, he could decipher it and write it down. However had he been born deaf, his music would probably suck, or not exist.
*facepalm*
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

I'm taking Thel's side on this. Because in my opinion - Putting notes and events in a sequence satisfying/interesting to ear>>brain is composing. No matter if you draw the sequence on paper or computer. The only difference is who plays it. Beethoven had a possibility to have orchestral assemble play it, and digital artists have a sound card. That's the difference, believe it or not.

edit: oh.. and computer makes it sooo much easier..
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

cypher1554R wrote:I'm taking Thel's side on this. Because in my opinion - Putting notes and events in a sequence satisfying/interesting to ear>>brain is composing. No matter if you draw the sequence on paper or computer. The only difference is who plays it. Beethoven had a possibility to have orchestral assemble play it, and digital artists have a sound card. That's the difference, believe it or not.

being a composer has nothing to with the medium it gets played in. its about the music.
Thel
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Thel »

Personally I don't enjoy the music of Mozart. Check out BT. He does it all w/ computers and he composes some of the best music I've ever heard.
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

avansc wrote:being a composer has nothing to with the medium it gets played in. its about the music.
That's what I say.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

Thel wrote:Personally I don't enjoy the music of Mozart. Check out BT. He does it all w/ computers and he composes some of the best music I've ever heard.
... i dont even know what to say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2D1VueL ... PEQDuT31yw

no wonder you think you are a composer.
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di2lyw_uJRE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj9DF7RD5jg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZccWPASVvn8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR_TAFrOX-A

these guys work almost exclusively without analogue instruments, and use nothing but computers for production (pro tools).. aaand.. they are composers.. I'm pretty sure of it.
Thel
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Thel »

Avansc check out BT's This Binary Universe. He composed one or two of the tracks completely in Csound and it's not from the mid-90s.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

by Thel
Yeah, I say I'm a composer: http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/2/16/2324178/WIP.mp3

by avansc
no offense, but you are deluded.

by Thel
LOL! Really? Whatever you say! Maybe you should get laid every now and then so that maybe you wont be such an arrogant twat.

by avansc
what does having sex have to do with being arrogant.... if anything people that have more conquests are more arrogant.
you are just upset that i dont praise your mediocre work. you go to juilliard and tell them you are a composer and see what reaction you get..
you are a sad little man...

by Thel
Well ES isn't a professional project. Anyway I've no plans to make enemies here so how about we put this riff-raff in the past? And I'll apologize for any offense I may have caused.

you never offended me.
Last edited by avansc on Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Moosader »

cypher1554R wrote:I'm taking Thel's side on this. Because in my opinion - Putting notes and events in a sequence satisfying/interesting to ear>>brain is composing. .
Composing music

Is composing.

'nuff said.
Thel
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Thel »

Well you offended me. Are you going to apologize for it? Of course not. Because you're not man enough. And you're an arrogant twat. And I'm sure there are many users on here who agree. End.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

Thel wrote:Well you offended me. Are you going to apologize for it? Of course not. Because you're not man enough. And you're an arrogant twat. And I'm sure there are many users on here who agree. End.
you are worse than a damn wench on the rag. get some fucking balls dude. you just called ES a non professional project(which i dont know why. i have no affiliation with them), which in my opinion is an insult.. you gonna appologize for that?
dude. i draw doodles.. that does not make me an artist. simply using the work compose does not make you a composer. people compose poems. that does not make them composers.

but fine, yeah you can call yourself a composer thats fine, you put music music together in a crude sense... i said thats fine.. i said standards have become lacks.. jesus, i have garage band. i guess im a composer as well....
no go and tell people about your label interest and you midi fuck wads, and synthpads.

oh wait.. im forgetting something.... END.
Thel
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Thel »

Sure, well, I don't have time for this riff-raff so you keep doing what you do best and I'll keep doing what I do best and we'll see who makes more of a success of their career.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

Thel wrote:Sure, well, I don't have time for this riff-raff so you keep doing what you do best and I'll keep doing what I do best and we'll see who makes more of a success of their career.
sure sure.. so what you are saying is you are not man enough to apologize for your slander against ES.. say what you want about me... i dont care.. but why insult them?