-My Game Idea-

Forum for the creative side of the game development process: art, music, storyline, gameplay, concepts, etc. Any sort of relevant discussion is welcome here.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

ibly31
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Like... seven different ones
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360, Gamecube
Programming Language of Choice: C++, ObjC

Re: -My Game Idea-

Post by ibly31 »

Dont listen to doublecryax, he is wrong, your idea sounds great. He probably doesnt know how to program and is just angry because he doesnt umderstand anyone on this forum.
Twitter
Website/Tumblr
My Projects

The best thing about UDP jokes is that I don’t care if you get them or not.
Fallental
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Fallental »

I think doublr is just flaming my post because i told him not to post hate comments about game players or something in the reviews forum lol
derbon
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: Big Nasty Enemies
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES SMS snes PC N64 PS2 Vectrex The Arcade Machine
Programming Language of Choice: C++, Perl

Post by derbon »

the game has a chance to be reallity.

you need to design the game before you lay your mouse over your IDE shortcut on your desktop.
you need to make a plot, some characters, and a game genre(is it going to be a RPG or a platformer);

Good luck hope you is sucsess full
i think the best paint program would be microsoft paint + paint.NET+graphics gale + Paint shop Pro 7 + photoshop CS3, it would be called Paint Gale Pro Shop.NET,

http://youtube.com/gonduda
ibly31
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Like... seven different ones
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360, Gamecube
Programming Language of Choice: C++, ObjC

Post by ibly31 »

I think you are wrong. I say he starts making the game basics (character facing towards mouse, switching weapons, enemies, different weapon attacks, collision) before all the cosmetic stuff like story and characters.

Also... you can't design a game without DESIGNING it, right? So how could he design the game without using his IDE to design it?
Twitter
Website/Tumblr
My Projects

The best thing about UDP jokes is that I don’t care if you get them or not.
jtst1
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by jtst1 »

Netwatcher wrote:Sounds like Counter-Strike, in 2D~!
lol,
Yea... if this is your goal, it's great!
If you are planning on doing it in the summer, or any date other then the next few years,it's not for you... (assuming you are a beginner)

Anyway... good luck with that.

There is only one problem here, and it is, no offense, people make more and more games without a frigging PLOT!

But look at L4D, Counter Strike, and WoW... they are doing pretty well without it.

Hey no hating on wow, it's got a plot. You just have to read the books :) :mrgreen:
When One learns to Love, One must bear the risk of Hatred.
Zer0XoL
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Zelda untitled multiplayer game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, GBA, N64
Programming Language of Choice: C++, Lua

Post by Zer0XoL »

jtst1 wrote:
lol,
If you are planning on doing it in the summer, or any date other then the next few years,it's not for you... (assuming you are a beginner)

There is only one problem here, and it is, no offense, people make more and more games without a frigging PLOT!

But look at L4D, Counter Strike, and WoW... they are doing pretty well without it.

Hey no hating on wow, it's got a plot. You just have to read the books :) :mrgreen:
"Hating"? Do you play wow much?
Im Blue
Avenger111
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Avenger111 »

jtst1 wrote:
lol,

WoW, it's not a game it's a 2nd job, that for $15 a month ruins your life and makes eunuchs of men. Know 2 divorces and 3 breakups over that "game". Each time the same thing, husband/boyfriend becomes obsessed and stops showing interest in the wife. Hell when they refuse a blow job because they are in "the middle of a raid" you know something is seriously wrong.
Last edited by Avenger111 on Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avenger111
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Avenger111 »

ibly31 wrote:I think you are wrong. I say he starts making the game basics (character facing towards mouse, switching weapons, enemies, different weapon attacks, collision) before all the cosmetic stuff like story and characters.

Also... you can't design a game without DESIGNING it, right? So how could he design the game without using his IDE to design it?
I usually start concept (what type of game is it) then story, then I figure out how I conform the levels to support the story and fit into the mold / limitations setup by the concept and then I move onto art assets and the actual building of things. If you notice a lot of design documents are pretty fleshed out before they go into production.
jtst1
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by jtst1 »

Avenger111 wrote:
jtst1 wrote:
lol,

WoW, it's not a game it's a 2nd job, that for $15 a month ruins your life and makes eunuchs of men. Know 2 divorces and 3 breakups over that "game". Each time the same thing, husband/boyfriend becomes obsessed and stops showing interest in the wife. Hell when they refuse a blow job because they are in "the middle of a raid" you know something is seriously wrong.
I play WoW, and I enjoy it very much. Second I haven't lost interest in my girlfriend, and I don't sit there for days playing it. Granted it is expensive, but it's a nice way to just chill after school or when you are bored. Assuming that WoW ruins EVERYONE'S life is assuming way to much. Most of the people that play are "normal" people with "normal" lives.
When One learns to Love, One must bear the risk of Hatred.
dejai
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by dejai »

On the topic of programming and being good for your age you should really extend yourself with something like usaco. Enjoy :)
Lid
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: shooter
Favorite Gaming Platforms: snes, Nes, xbox360
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Lid »

derbon wrote:the game has a chance to be reallity.

you need to design the game before you lay your mouse over your IDE shortcut on your desktop.
you need to make a plot, some characters, and a game genre(is it going to be a RPG or a platformer);

I agree with derbon :)
mv2112
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Java Tower Defence Game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64/Xbox 360/PC/GameCube
Programming Language of Choice: C/++, Java

Post by mv2112 »

derbon wrote:the game has a chance to be reallity.

ibly31 wrote:I think you are wrong. I say he starts making the game basics (character facing towards mouse, switching weapons, enemies, different weapon attacks, collision) before all the cosmetic stuff like story and characters.

I THINK YOU'RE BOTH WRONG lol :mrgreen:
Make a map editor first, what i did was make a map editor which lead me into making a map loader with turned into my game engine. After you finish the game engine (or get to a point of functionality) then focus more on the actual game design. That doesn't mean don't think about the game while making the engine. You should obviously build the engine around the focus of the game (don't build a platformer engine if you are making an RPG type game). Then add stuff later on if you need it.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Quite frankly I don't think what order you make the parts in matter, as long as you have a format for your map, so that it will be saved and loaded the same in the editor and engine. Although I would do the engine first, so that I could make simple test maps while I started other features, then make an editor so I can then make levels when I have some content... But that's just my preference :D

Basically you just need a rough concept of what you want and implement things according to that, then add features as needed :D
mgold07
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by mgold07 »

How can you make a Top Down FPS? Surely you mean Top Down shooter, and I agree with the others for your first actualy project I recomend going for something very simple, like Pong :p
Greatness comes once every lifetime, as the nice lord bj proves this, nobody can be great more than once in their lifetime, he had his day, his birth was great. It caused awesomeness to die, and programmers to shudder. For a day that is...

Code: Select all

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/mgold07.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">mgold07.</iframe>
mattheweston
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Breakout clone, Unnamed 2D RPG
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, XBOX360
Programming Language of Choice: C#

Post by mattheweston »

Not every WOW player is like the people in "The Guild"