Spriting characters and such

Forum for the creative side of the game development process: art, music, storyline, gameplay, concepts, etc. Any sort of relevant discussion is welcome here.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

pritam
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Amiga, PSOne, NDS
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Spriting characters and such

Post by pritam »

I like you sprite Rufus, it looks good. ;)

dandymcgee, yeah there is a palette, you can change it to RGB mode in Photoshop and most likely in The Gimp too.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Pritam, I don't believe I've met you yet? I see you're the new artist, congrats on the position. ;) I figured there was some sort of palette, but as I don't generally need to create graphics above the limits of MSPaint, I've never encountered that before.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
pritam
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Amiga, PSOne, NDS

Post by pritam »

dandymcgee wrote:Pritam, I don't believe I've met you yet? I see you're the new artist, congrats on the position. ;) I figured there was some sort of palette, but as I don't generally need to create graphics above the limits of MSPaint, I've never encountered that before.
Thank you and good to meet you ;) i know what you're talking about, it is a bit unusual.
Rufus_Veneficus
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Rufus_Veneficus »

Thanks for the posts and such, i did a little touch up, not really worth showing, but now i have a slightly bigger problem. Animation, and a run/walk cycle. I've never been too good at animation myself, but I've always wanted to learn, and there's no time like the present. I guess it's just a matter of building up the skill, but a tutorial might not hurt (and yes, i checked out zeid's links).
Listen to the world, and you will hear there is nothing to listen to, listen to yourself, and you will hear that there is.
Rufus_Veneficus
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Alright, I have another question: Is it considered "acceptable" to make this guy 64x64? 32x64 seems a little crowded for a guy of this size, so any suggestions? Any help is welcome, and once again, thanks for putting up with my ignorance on this subject :P
Listen to the world, and you will hear there is nothing to listen to, listen to yourself, and you will hear that there is.
Kros
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: N/A
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Playstation/2/3

Post by Kros »

Rufus_Veneficus wrote:Alright, I have another question: Is it considered "acceptable" to make this guy 64x64? 32x64 seems a little crowded for a guy of this size, so any suggestions? Any help is welcome, and once again, thanks for putting up with my ignorance on this subject :P
You can really make it any size you want, I think. Just keep it a power of 2.
Isaac Asimov wrote:Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
YouTube Channel
zeid
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by zeid »

but now i have a slightly bigger problem. Animation, and a run/walk cycle. I've never been too good at animation myself, but I've always wanted to learn, and there's no time like the present.
Have I not provided any links on animation yet... Oh well here you go, there are others I will try and dig up when I can:
http://z4.invisionfree.com/pixelclass/i ... &p=1794014

[edit]
Oh and these are pretty useful aswell
http://www.angryanimator.com/word/test/
Axolotl Pop!
Or, try it for free.

For many more free games online visit www.sam-zeid.com
Rufus_Veneficus
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Hello, It's been a while, but I'm back with an update. I finished (term taken loosely) a run cycle, but that's about it. Since I don't know how to create a GIF file (and don't feel like looking it up at the moment), all I can show you is a sprite sheet, so...
Image repeat frames 2-5 for a run cycle
I personally like it, I might go back to edit it when I have the time, maybe make some other actions.
If I figure out how to make an animated GIF, I'll edit it.