Woot My Very First Sprite From Scratch

Forum for the creative side of the game development process: art, music, storyline, gameplay, concepts, etc. Any sort of relevant discussion is welcome here.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Re: Woot My Very First Sprite From Scratch

Post by MarauderIIC »

...any advice for improvement for him? What don't you like about it?
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by davidthefat »

zeid wrote:with pixel art it's important not to save as a .jpeg, it might be your image provider, but either way .gif and .png are both lossless image formats that you should use so not to ruin your work.
but either way, it's quite poor.
Everybody has to start somewhere. I don't give you crap for what looks to be your first attempt at tact.
I noticed that, I think the hosting site converted it when I uploaded it, It was BMP
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Usually BMPs get converted, but PNGs do not.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
Rufus_Veneficus
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Rufus_Veneficus »

I've got a suggestion, try looking up online something called "anti-aliasing". It's a very useful skill to have, so you don't have to rely on evil tools such as the gradient. shading is a very good way to give your sprites depth and color. And great job on your first sprite. I "Love" it... ahahaha... shut up, I thought it was funny
Listen to the world, and you will hear there is nothing to listen to, listen to yourself, and you will hear that there is.
PixelP
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Programming Language of Choice: c/c++

Post by PixelP »

my first sprite wasnt that good, they are probably still not as good, lol
RyanPridgeon
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: "Triangle"
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by RyanPridgeon »

I think you guys are overreacting. Harsh criticism usually has a better impact than being subtle, hell, when I was learning C++ I was always being ridiculed and pushed and it helped me to get stronger. Same for music, but that's not really relevent here.
Ryan Pridgeon
C, C++, C#, Java, ActionScript 3, HaXe, PHP, VB.Net, Pascal
Music | Blog
OrinCreed
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OrinCreed »

RyanPridgeon wrote:I think you guys are overreacting. Harsh criticism usually has a better impact than being subtle, hell, when I was learning C++ I was always being ridiculed and pushed and it helped me to get stronger. Same for music, but that's not really relevent here.
Not for everyone. For some people harsh cits kill their self esteem and they abandon whatever it was they were trying to learn. I've known quite a few people like that. The best criticism is constructive, truthful and fair without being too harsh or sugar coating things. A hard balance to achieve.
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by davidthefat »

OrinCreed wrote:
RyanPridgeon wrote:I think you guys are overreacting. Harsh criticism usually has a better impact than being subtle, hell, when I was learning C++ I was always being ridiculed and pushed and it helped me to get stronger. Same for music, but that's not really relevent here.
Not for everyone. For some people harsh cits kill their self esteem and they abandon whatever it was they were trying to learn. I've known quite a few people like that. The best criticism is constructive, truthful and fair without being too harsh or sugar coating things. A hard balance to achieve.
Also you got to admit, you hate mean teachers