Zeid's Epic Art Thread

Forum for the creative side of the game development process: art, music, storyline, gameplay, concepts, etc. Any sort of relevant discussion is welcome here.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

zeid
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Re: Zeids Epic Art Post

Post by zeid »

Well exams are all over and I haven't been doing a whole lot in the last week so last night I decided to stop wasting my time so much and do something, even if it wasn't what I had planned to do during the holidays... What resulted was a little face study I threw together. Though it's not really game related I figure I might as well post it seeing as I haven't said much. I really need to get motivated to do this 3d game otherwise next semester wont be nearly as open to fun games programming that I want to do as it will be 'grind' work.

ImageImageImage
Axolotl Pop!
Or, try it for free.

For many more free games online visit www.sam-zeid.com
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Nice! Man I wish I had the motivation to practice drawing like that!!!
zeid
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by zeid »

So it's been a while since I last posted some art. But I ran into some bumps in my iPhone game project, so to not feel as though I did nothing, I spent a little while doing some concept art and fleshing out the game idea some more;

Any particular changes to the current character concepts people would like to see.

More importantly, what do you find memorable in a character design?
Do you think a cute style is nice in a game, creepy cute perhaps, do you like this style or is there another style you prefer more?
What sorts of animals, objects, etc. would you like to see as a game character?
Do any of these characters strike you as likable, would they be game worthy, does this style/ do these character designs seem original and striking for the iPhone?

In other words... please gives some in depth feedback!
Axolotl Pop!
Or, try it for free.

GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by GroundUpEngine »

Damn! That's some nice stuff!

I find simplicity, originality and uniqueness memorable in character design, theres nothing more annoying than a game with same old style of art.
This being said I do quite prefer/like the creepy cute style of characters like this, kinda reminds me of the Grub from ES rofl
The reason I like this style is because it's different and you can get the feel of an innocent creature or character in a game, but knowing it might have a dark side and bite your head off! Overall I would say this is a nice bunch of ideas, I see some simularities compared to other art I've seen but they are different in thier own way ;)
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

GroundUpEngine wrote:Damn! That's some nice stuff!

I find simplicity, originality and uniqueness memorable in character design, theres nothing more annoying than a game with same old style of art.
This being said I do quite prefer/like the creepy cute style of characters like this, kinda reminds me of the Grub from ES rofl
The reason I like this style is because it's different and you can get the feel of an innocent creature or character in a game, but knowing it might have a dark side and bite your head off! Overall I would say this is a nice bunch of ideas, I see some simularities compared to other art I've seen but they are different in thier own way ;)
This pretty much sums up exactly what I was thinking :D
K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by K-Bal »

Nicely done ;)
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by hurstshifter »

I really love the style. Gives me an Alien Hominid/Earthworm Jim vibe. Keep up the great work.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
Innerscope
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Gridbug
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, SNES
Programming Language of Choice: Obj-C, C++

Post by Innerscope »

zeid wrote:So it's been a while since I last posted some art. But I ran into some bumps in my iPhone game project, so to not feel as though I did nothing, I spent a little while doing some concept art and fleshing out the game idea some more;

Any particular changes to the current character concepts people would like to see.

More importantly, what do you find memorable in a character design?
Do you think a cute style is nice in a game, creepy cute perhaps, do you like this style or is there another style you prefer more?
What sorts of animals, objects, etc. would you like to see as a game character?
Do any of these characters strike you as likable, would they be game worthy, does this style/ do these character designs seem original and striking for the iPhone?

In other words... please gives some in depth feedback!
They look really cool/creepy/weird. I can tell you've improved since that platformer you made a while back. The characters have a good amount of personality. I really like the one that resembles a freaked out grimace.
You said you were having some problems with your iPhone game? What API/libraries/frameworks are you using?
Current Project: Gridbug
Website (under construction) : http://www.timcool.me
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

I just wanted to say "goddamn!"

It looks amazing!

...that is all.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

You going to animate those beauties in due time? That would be phenomenal and is something I look forward to seeing. Great work.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
zeid
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by zeid »

You going to animate those beauties in due time?
Not these particular images. They are just concept sketched. I'm still deciding whether to make them into pixel art, or even use any of these characters/designs at the moment. Thats why feedback is important and why they aren't more polished.
Axolotl Pop!
Or, try it for free.

dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

zeid wrote:Thats why feedback is important and why they aren't more polished.
More polished?? How much more polished could they possibly get? :shock:

No seriously though, I like 'em a lot and you should totally make something of 'em.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Bakkon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Bakkon »

Those little creatures are amazing looking!
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

The only thing that I could see being slightly polished is the angry red guy, and that's just because he doesn't look as 3D as the others. He's still pretty sick though, and way better than what I could do...
zeid
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by zeid »

Thanks for the feedback guys.
You said you were having some problems with your iPhone game? What API/libraries/frameworks are you using?
I'm using a C++ wrapper for most of my obj-c code. In terms of frameworks, OpenGL for graphics, OpenAL for sound effects, and AVAudio for background music. I actually have gotten over most of my issues. But will likely be rewriting my entity manager :( Which was cleverly conceived, but is to complicated for what I am trying to do/I'm sinking too much time into fixing it.
Axolotl Pop!
Or, try it for free.