3D Artwork - Old and new

Forum for the creative side of the game development process: art, music, storyline, gameplay, concepts, etc. Any sort of relevant discussion is welcome here.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

OrinCreed
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

3D Artwork - Old and new

Post by OrinCreed »

Well now that I actually have an account here I might as well share some art. I don't have much finished art to show because most of my previous works in progress were killed by my last computers death. It's been two years since then and I only just got a new computer.

First up is the M109A6 Paladin. This sucker was fun to make. It was my first time creating a high density mesh [over 100k poly used to project a normal map], normal maps and specular maps for a model. Unfortunately you can't see a lot of the effects you get in the UE3 engine in these pictures, but I looks bad ass with dynamic lighting. The final product came in just short of 17k poly and has several textures, some as large as 2048x2048.

Next is the Ripsaw. Kind of a small remote controlled tank that you can mount weapons onto. It can also be used as a kind of mine sweeper for IED detection. This also looks a little more impressive in the game. I was able to use what I had learned while making the Paladin to crank this out in about a day. Oh yeah one of my coworkers created the texture/normal for the treads while I created all the other textures.

This one is over two years old but it's one of the few finished images I still have. It's a 25 mil grenade launcher I was tasked to create as a test for my job application. Simple but fun to make.

This one I made yesterday and was inspired by JS Lemmings Gyromite remake. It's my own personal rendition of Professor Hector. It's not finished yet but I plan to texture it as soon as I get a good chunk of free time to commit to it. He weighs in at roughly 3k poly and I'm pretty happy with the result since I just made it up as I went.

I'm adding a link to my DeviantArt page. Most of the work on it is several years old and not so hot but now that I have a computer again I should be adding more to the gallery.

Oh yeah I love feedback of any kind.
Last edited by OrinCreed on Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PixelP
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Programming Language of Choice: c/c++

Re: 3D Artwork - Old and new

Post by PixelP »

wow, im really impressed!
i wish i could do 3d models. ;)
OrinCreed
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OrinCreed »

PixelP wrote:wow, im really impressed!
i wish i could do 3d models. ;)
Thanks a lot. :) I'm not going to say it's easy, but if you had the time and the program I'm sure you could reach at least some level of 3D modeling. To be honest you don't even need to know how to draw. It helps but it's not required. My traditional skills are kind of lame but I get by in 3D just fine.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Niice. I might try 3D modeling one day but I know I couldn't do anything organic. Throw your deviant art page up here.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
OrinCreed
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OrinCreed »

JS Lemming wrote:Niice. I might try 3D modeling one day but I know I couldn't do anything organic. Throw your deviant art page up here.
Thanks. Mechanical modeling is easier it seems. The funny thing is I'm not good at thinking up mechanical concepts but I can model them once I have seen them. I've added a link to my deviant art site in the main post at the bottom. It's mostly work that is several years outdated but I still keep them around.
thejahooli
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by thejahooli »

What program did you use to make these?
I'll make your software hardware.
OrinCreed
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OrinCreed »

thejahooli wrote:What program did you use to make these?
I used 3DS Max 2009 for the modeling, and Photoshop CS3 for the textures.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

OrinCreed wrote:
First of all I'd just like to say, excellent work! 8-)

Would you happen to know of any good free/open source programs that would be sufficient for someone completely new to 3D modeling to start learning with? (I've tried Blender, and it's a great tool but the interface is incredibly overwhelming).
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Ewan
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Ewan »

dandymcgee wrote:
OrinCreed wrote:
First of all I'd just like to say, excellent work! 8-)

Would you happen to know of any good free/open source programs that would be sufficient for someone completely new to 3D modeling to start learning with? (I've tried Blender, and it's a great tool but the interface is incredibly overwhelming).
Have a look at http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax, it's rather good.
They pull out the truncheon, that's when the trouble starts.

'Cause when you've got a badge, the laws don't apply.
OrinCreed
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OrinCreed »

Ewan wrote:Have a look at http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax, it's rather good.
This is exactly what I would have recommended. It's a stripped down version of 3ds max streamlined for game content creation. Last time I checked it was still free too.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

Thanks, I'm downloading it now! I'll let ya know how many seconds it is before I get bored or distracted. ;)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
OrinCreed
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OrinCreed »

dandymcgee wrote:Thanks, I'm downloading it now! I'll let ya know how many seconds it is before I get bored or distracted. ;)
NP. :) If you get into it I look forward to seeing some works from you.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

It looks really awesome, again I have no idea where to even start, I've only ever stretched cubes, and followed tutorials exactly. Maybe I'll make something simple, dunno what though.
OrinCreed
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OrinCreed »

dandymcgee wrote:It looks really awesome, again I have no idea where to even start, I've only ever stretched cubes, and followed tutorials exactly. Maybe I'll make something simple, dunno what though.
Tutorials are your friend as long as they don't assume you know the program inside out. I'd write one up for you if I wasn't sure it would come out like ass. However if you have any questions I will gladly help when I am able.
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Post by Arce »

Wow, nice to see a new talented 3d modeler here. Those are pretty damned impressive! Please, keep this topic updated as you create/add. Also, I learned today how gay UV mapping is, haha.

Damn, the treads on those bitches look TIGHT. You do any animating?

Btw, I know close to nothing about 3d modeling--thought I'd toss that out there before hand. Very limited experience in several programs. ;p
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt