3D Artwork - Old and new

Forum for the creative side of the game development process: art, music, storyline, gameplay, concepts, etc. Any sort of relevant discussion is welcome here.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

OrinCreed
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Re: 3D Artwork - Old and new

Post by OrinCreed »

Arce wrote:Wow, nice to see a new talented 3d modeler here. Those are pretty damned impressive! Please, keep this topic updated as you create/add. Also, I learned today how gay UV mapping is, haha.

Damn, the treads on those bitches look TIGHT. You do any animating?

Btw, I know close to nothing about 3d modeling--thought I'd toss that out there before hand. Very limited experience in several programs. ;p
Thanks for the compliments and the welcome. After being away from 3D modeling for so long I need some serious practice, so I'm sure there will be plenty of work posted here in the near future.

Speaking of UV mapping I'm trying to relearn the torture art and I'm ready to pull my hair out. Unwrapping technical models is easy but organics are no fun at all. I keep getting space pulling and seams on my models. I'm sure I'll remember how not to suck soon.

I’ve done some animating but not a lot. I always have troubles making the motion look believable. I guess you could say I understand the tools but lack the finesse to use them well. I’ve also dabbled in sprite animation. I’m decent at that but still nothing special.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

It's interesting that you mentioned mechanical things are easier to model than organic things. Because I can't draw people, but I can draw half-decent tanks. I think it must be easier to change a symbol in your head into a mechanical thing since usually symbols have a bunch of straight lines and not much detail anyway. For instance, draw a quick house. Probably a triangle on top of a rectangle. Now draw a quick tree. Probably a stick with a cloud looking thing on top. Now draw a good looking house: you took your triangle on a rectangle and added lines for depth and some lines for the bricks. Now draw a good looking tree: um.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
OrinCreed
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OrinCreed »

MarauderIIC wrote:It's interesting that you mentioned mechanical things are easier to model than organic things. Because I can't draw people, but I can draw half-decent tanks. I think it must be easier to change a symbol in your head into a mechanical thing since usually symbols have a bunch of straight lines and not much detail anyway. For instance, draw a quick house. Probably a triangle on top of a rectangle. Now draw a quick tree. Probably a stick with a cloud looking thing on top. Now draw a good looking house: you took your triangle on a rectangle and added lines for depth and some lines for the bricks. Now draw a good looking tree: um.
That sums it up nicely. Primitives and base shapes come so easily. Mechanical is also easier to lay out UV's for since most of the geometry is flat hard angled surfaces. That allows you to lay the sheet out with little to no difficulty. Rounded or curved surfaces on organics can become a serious pain. There is nothing quite like taking a 3D sphere and peeling it apart to lay out flat on a piece of paper. Good times. :roll: But I love it. Guess I'm a bit of a masochist like that.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

OrinCreed,

I have not done any real modeling in a while, but i always felt that the "pelt" and "seams" worked good on organic objects.
Which you would the use a "UV relax" (i believe its called), which would make life alot easier for UV mappping.

ps: i know 3dsmax has this. so if you are using something else and it doesent, my apologies.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
OrinCreed
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OrinCreed »

avansc wrote:OrinCreed,

I have not done any real modeling in a while, but i always felt that the "pelt" and "seams" worked good on organic objects.
Which you would the use a "UV relax" (i believe its called), which would make life alot easier for UV mappping.

ps: i know 3dsmax has this. so if you are using something else and it doesent, my apologies.
Never really looked into pelt before but I will give it a go. Thanks for the suggestion.
Mr. Achie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Basic 2d game engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Playstation 1
Programming Language of Choice: C++, Java

Post by Mr. Achie »

You got wicked skills man! The detail in the tank is incredible.

Keep up the good work! :) ;)
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Mr. Achie wrote:You got wicked skills man!
Aha! It's not just us New Englanders :lol:
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
OrinCreed
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OrinCreed »

Mr. Achie wrote:You got wicked skills man! The detail in the tank is incredible.

Keep up the good work! :) ;)
Thanks much man. In some larger images I have you can see all the bolts and crap.I almost went overboard and created welding seems, but you would never get close enough to really notice them so I didn't.
OrinCreed
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OrinCreed »

EDIT: Sorry the images are a little muddy

I wasn't sure if I should bother making a new thread for this so I'll just post here. It's not 3D or very interesting but you never know who might like it. It's just a few screen grabs of sprites I've made for an animation I'm working on. Finishing it has turned out to be a pain in the ass. I don't know enough about flash it seems.

Each of these are sprites of myself in different game styles. Most of these were based off existing sprites but I made custom ones when needed. The animation is from a odd dream I had where I kept going through different 8 and 16 bit game levels, but the music and powere ups I was using were from different games than the one I was currently in.

Me as a Sega Genesis MegaMan sprite

Me as a Bionic Commando sprite

Me as a SNES Zelda sprite [Technicaly it's GBA from the LTTP/4swords]

Let me know if you think this deserves it's own thread or if I should just update here. Hope you like them.
Last edited by OrinCreed on Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

Wow man, those are impressive. Nice work! ;)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
OrinCreed
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OrinCreed »

dandymcgee wrote:Wow man, those are impressive. Nice work! ;)
Thanks much. :)
dataframeC
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by dataframeC »

Wow, your Sprites looks fantastic :P
OrinCreed
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OrinCreed »

dataframeC wrote:Wow, your Sprites looks fantastic :P
Thanks. I can only take credit for some of the work though. A lot of these are just modified sprites from existing games [as I'm sure you have noticed] with my own clothing and head tacked on.

The only work that I can truely say is mine are the custom sprites. For example the hammer toss and whip sprites for the megaman set. Also the angled aim and jump sprites for the bionic commando set. I thought about making my own custom sprites suitable for each game, but this was more interesting and took a little of the work load off.

EDIT: Image It's a little slower than the actual animation will be.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

OrinCreed wrote: EDIT: Image It's a little slower than the actual animation will be.
Haha, that's awesome.
ImageImage
EDIT: A few more just cus it looks cool. ;)