Practice games

Forum for the creative side of the game development process: art, music, storyline, gameplay, concepts, etc. Any sort of relevant discussion is welcome here.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: Practice games

Post by eatcomics »

aamesxdavid wrote:
trufun202 wrote:
eatcomics wrote:What about a Tower Defence style game? Its top-down like an RTS, but with less complexity.
I love those games, even though I can't stand RTS's.. weird.

Does this have to be a full game? I like making little systems within games. For instance, you can make a battle system, and even start out text-based, and move on from there. You get practice in, and you can even use it in a full game later on.
Hmm I like RTSs but not tower defense lol that is kinda wierd... Tower defense is okay but I get bored with it really easy...
RyanPridgeon
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: "Triangle"
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by RyanPridgeon »

eatcomics wrote: I could probably do it but a newb wouldn't know where to begin especially if he was still using the command line... >.>
Well in that case just hone your C++ skills, and make console games until you're confident with programming structure and all that.

Then learn a library like SDL, which lets you draw to the screen and take keyboard input etc

Watch GyroVorbis' video on where to begin;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAgpsks2 ... 98&index=0
Ryan Pridgeon
C, C++, C#, Java, ActionScript 3, HaXe, PHP, VB.Net, Pascal
Music | Blog
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

RyanPridgeon wrote:
eatcomics wrote: I could probably do it but a newb wouldn't know where to begin especially if he was still using the command line... >.>
Well in that case just hone your C++ skills, and make console games until you're confident with programming structure and all that.

Then learn a library like SDL, which lets you draw to the screen and take keyboard input etc

Watch GyroVorbis' video on where to begin;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAgpsks2 ... 98&index=0
Precisely what he asked! :lol: He was looking for games that could be made in the console! Or at least he was when this was first posted :lol:
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

Breakout? It's similar to pong, but a step further...