Sprites?

Forum for the creative side of the game development process: art, music, storyline, gameplay, concepts, etc. Any sort of relevant discussion is welcome here.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

thejahooli
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Sprites?

Post by thejahooli »

Does anyone know any good tutorials on making sprites and what program should I use to make them?
I'll make your software hardware.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: Sprites?

Post by dandymcgee »

I know some people on the forums are using this:
http://www.humanbalance.net/gale/us/index.html
and others (such as me) simply use MSPaint. I haven't had time to play with Graphics Gale much, and MSPaint has always been enough for what I've needed to get done.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
BlueMonkey5
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by BlueMonkey5 »

MS Paint, Graphics Gale, Photoshop, GIMP, Illustrator, Pro Motion, Paint.net, Paint Shop Pro 6. I've only used photoshop, so I'm just listing what I've heard. Out of all of them, I'm hearing the most good things about Graphics Gale, from the forums. MS Paint seems to be used frequently, although it's very basic. I just Wikipedia'd GIMP, and it looks very cool. It's a raster graphics program that can also do basic animated images in GIF format.

Paint Shop Pro is from Corel, and is not the same thing as MS Paint, though they're both for Windows. They renamed the newer version of Paintbrush to MS Paint. But Paint shop Pro is also for raster (bitmap) graphics, and also vector graphics in the newer releases. So just play around with a few of them, and find the one of your preference.
Arti-Ravnos
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, NDS, PC
Programming Language of Choice: Actionscript 3

Post by Arti-Ravnos »

I'm actually looking for some spriting tutorials too, or at least a place to get started with spriting and pixel art. Of course I've used google to search for tutorials and guides, but I guess it would better if someone could recommend some tutorials or sites. Anyone..?

By the way, does anyone know a program where you can add single tiles and then it makes a tileset out of that? I found a program which could do this, but it couldn't make more than 4 coloums of sprites, but I wanted the tileset to be 16x16 tiles and not 4x64 tiles.
“Should array indices start at 0 or 1? My compromise of 0.5 was rejected without, I thought, proper consideration.”
(Stan Kelly-Bootle)
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Arti-Ravnos wrote:I'm actually looking for some spriting tutorials too, or at least a place to get started with spriting and pixel art.
Can't help you on this topic but...
By the way, does anyone know a program where you can add single tiles and then it makes a tileset out of that?
Usually, I think, you just turn on the grid in whatever image program you're using?
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

zeid's reply to you was this post http://elysianshadows.com/phpBB3/viewto ... =30&t=3489 which I split out and stickied.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by davidthefat »

I dont know if Im a cheap bastard, but I use GIMP lol and of course photoshop when Im on windows
PixelP
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Programming Language of Choice: c/c++

Post by PixelP »

By the way, does anyone know a program where you can add single tiles and then it makes a tileset out of that?
i would say tile studio.
http://tilestudio.sourceforge.net/
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

I'm still using paint.net to a lot of success :)
derbon
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: Big Nasty Enemies
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES SMS snes PC N64 PS2 Vectrex The Arcade Machine
Programming Language of Choice: C++, Perl

Post by derbon »

when i first saw your avatar i thought, 'this guy's a pixel artist', so like i read this and think 'doesn't this guy already know how to draw.

you can use microsoft paint, graphicsgale, Paint shop pro 7
i think the best paint program would be microsoft paint + paint.NET+graphics gale + Paint shop Pro 7 + photoshop CS3, it would be called Paint Gale Pro Shop.NET,

http://youtube.com/gonduda
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Lol, I never thought of that... I figured he made it but that never dawned on me... Oh well, if he did make it it's always nice to see how others do things, in hopes to better yourself :mrgreen: