Text based game help

Forum for the creative side of the game development process: art, music, storyline, gameplay, concepts, etc. Any sort of relevant discussion is welcome here.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Octopia
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1-3, Genesis, Dreamcast, SNES, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++,Java,Py,LUA,XML
Location: C:\\United States of America\Utah\West Valley City\Neighborhood\House\Computer Desk

Text based game help

Post by MadPumpkin »

A week or two ago Marcel told my that to start programming with C++, a good starting project would be a text based game... SO, in order to do this i need a little help

ex. i need an item system, i would like some sort of combat system, i want a quest system, and of course obviously i need a movement system!

If ANY-one would like to help with any of these im taking pretty much any ideas! and i need multiple ways to do each type of thing because i need this to be a learning project not just a "Hey lets just take this guys code here!"
While Jesus equipped with angels, the Devil's equipped with cops
For God so loved the world that he blessed the thugs with rock
deryni21
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Re: Text based game help

Post by deryni21 »

MadPumpkin wrote:A week or two ago Marcel told my that to start programming with C++, a good starting project would be a text based game... SO, in order to do this i need a little help

ex. i need an item system, i would like some sort of combat system, i want a quest system, and of course obviously i need a movement system!

If ANY-one would like to help with any of these im taking pretty much any ideas! and i need multiple ways to do each type of thing because i need this to be a learning project not just a "Hey lets just take this guys code here!"
well hell how much do you know? thats all things you could do with begginers knowledge (take it from someone who did) but it wouldn't be easy adn it would frustrate the living hell out of you (it did me) suggest leaning for more then 2 weeks before going at that.
MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Location: C:\\United States of America\Utah\West Valley City\Neighborhood\House\Computer Desk

Post by MadPumpkin »

lol its been two weeks dude... and YES i DO know how. i just want a better way of doing these things, like maybe a better way of my current way of doing item systems, and combat systems... i have to say a text based combat system isn't rocket science but it is kinda confusing to me
deryni21
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by deryni21 »

MadPumpkin wrote:lol its been two weeks dude... and YES i DO know how. i just want a better way of doing these things, like maybe a better way of my current way of doing item systems, and combat systems... i have to say a text based combat system isn't rocket science but it is kinda confusing to me
no its definately not but it is annoying =)
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Mine still isn't working right, damn array... :lol:
Kros
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: N/A
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Playstation/2/3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Kros »

What exactly are you asking for help here with? Help from a design prospective (what this forum is technically for), as in "should my system be turn based?" "Should the items have this kind of stat and this kind of stat?" or are you looking for implementation help, i.e. programming assistance.

If the latter, then can you help us out by giving a run down on what C++ concepts you understand thus far, so we know what to suggest you look at?

Also, you mention that you already have these systems implemented in some form. In what state are they currently in? How would you like to further improve them?

Answering these questions will help us, help you.

Thanks!
Isaac Asimov wrote:Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
YouTube Channel
KuramaYoko10
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by KuramaYoko10 »

Cool... I also had that in mind to start learning C, but I stopped at the beginning, I have to keep working on it... I dont have the battle and item system implemented so I cant help you much...

but this guy might :
http://www.rdxgames.com/projects/wrathlands/index.html

Hope that is what you are looking for ;)
Type a message here!!
[b][color=#BF0000]MarauderIIC[/color][/b] wrote:"Never" is never true in programming.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

KuramaYoko10 wrote:Cool... I also had that in mind to start learning C, but I stopped at the beginning, I have to keep working on it... I dont have the battle and item system implemented so I cant help you much...

but this guy might :
http://www.rdxgames.com/projects/wrathlands/index.html

Hope that is what you are looking for ;)
I love those vids, I need to rewatch them sometime...
MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by MadPumpkin »

well the combat system im looking for is maybe just not based on turns but chance. so according to certain stats it says 1-10 chance of winning then you do it but im to C++ deficiant to know how to do that
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

While hte player is in the combat state, loop inside the combat function.

And you use srand() and rand() to do random numbers.
rand() % 10
gives you a # between 0 and 9
% is modulus, look it up on wikipedia

rand() % 10 + 5
gives you a # between 5 and 14 (0+5 through 9+5)

Note that vanilla srand()/rand() calls generally suck when it comes to randomness so you might get the same number a few times in a row. I find it alleviates the problem a bit if you seed with your last unmodified rand result.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by MadPumpkin »

thank you very much marauder!