Some Art

Forum for the creative side of the game development process: art, music, storyline, gameplay, concepts, etc. Any sort of relevant discussion is welcome here.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Diablo vt
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Some Art

Post by Diablo vt »

Hiya guys, girls, coders, artists - you get the picture. So I was working on some pixel art the other night and decided to see what everyone thinks. All the tiles are 32x32 and I believe they're quite good. I did them in MS Paint which is great for that stuff. Ok, enough of the life story, tell me what you think. My favorite is the soil tile, that looks badass, the grass could be improved and the water tile really needs work done on it lol. Cheers. :)
I'm going to be cheeky and say that some of those tiles would look badass in Elysian Shadows. I can't believe I just said that :lol: . Oh yeah and there is some sort of portal in there, which went wrong.
Attachments
tiles.zip
(10.98 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.
PixelP
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Programming Language of Choice: c/c++

Re: Some Art

Post by PixelP »

The grass and soil tile looks good... but the water tile need some more work.
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Moosader »

Just as a constructive critique, it's much too easy to see where the tiles are looping on all of the tiles. There's a circle-shape in the grass that stands out really bad, the water doesn't match up perfectly, and not sure about the dirt, I can see the repeats though.
Diablo vt
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Diablo vt »

LusikkaMage wrote:Just as a constructive critique, it's much too easy to see where the tiles are looping on all of the tiles. There's a circle-shape in the grass that stands out really bad, the water doesn't match up perfectly, and not sure about the dirt, I can see the repeats though.
Now that you mention it, it does stand out a bit. I'll certainly do the grass again and thank you for being honest! I like constructive critique. :lol:
There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

I like the palette on the soil, and it tiles nicely.
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
Diablo vt
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Diablo vt »

Thanks all. I've tried again with the grass, I used smaller pixels. The previous version was too.. crap. Anyway, let's see if this one looks better.
Attachments
grass.zip
(2.42 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

The grass definitely looks better, but I think it still looks a bit too blocky.. It looks more like a green rock texture that grass. Maybe if there was finer grain and less contrast between highs and lows.
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
Jools64
ES Graphics Artist
ES Graphics Artist

Post by Jools64 »

Looks like a good start. :)

Here's some constructive criticism on everything: ;)

For sea you should try taking a look at things like:
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
(Sorry it's rpg maker but I can't be bothered making/finding and uploading my own one at the moment.)

Try and study that kind of pattern because it looks a lot nicer than trying to draw waves in that style.

For the grass It looks good but it doesn't quite look like grass, you should try and give the impression of blades of grass sticking out to the sides ect. (I'm guessing this is top down)
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

This is an example I made a while back which shows different styles of grass. The top left seems to be more what your going for where as I would say the top right and bottom left look the best. It's more a matter of opinion I guess, but if I where you I'd take a look at those ones.

The dirts really my favourite here as it has a nice pallet and it's quite nicely pixeled. I would say inless you want to retain quite a large distance from the ground that you make the gaps between cracks larger, just plainly because its easier to put in more detail. You also might want to add another lighter or darker colour to add depth and make it feel smoother.

I think your doing well and I'm just picking out every detail so you can make this look as good as possible.Image ;)
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Hey Diablo vt,

I pretty much agree with Jools. The water is not really the right style for what you're trying to do. The second grass tiles definitely looks better than the first, as Lusikka said you don't really want tiles to be look like obvious when they are tiled. The dirt is also my favourite, the colors are great and it's a nice texture. Keep working on it man! I want to see more ;)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
JosephCh7
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by JosephCh7 »

jools has his points, though he didn't mention that when sticking to a single style, create different tiles of the same piece in different shapes, then group them together into a larger tile so it isn't so repetitive.

unlike the others, I find your palettes a bit too contrasting. bright and vivid colors may look nice, but not usually in an rpg like this.
thejahooli
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by thejahooli »

The water tile definately needs work but the soil tile looks great.
The website http://petesqbsite.com/sections/tutoria ... efault.htm has some good tutorials to help with pixel art if you havent already seen them
I'll make your software hardware.